PDA

View Full Version : Campy hubs, changes over the years?

ronw
10-16-2004, 06:40 PM
im new to campy so please forgive my ingnorance. I went to look at a wheel set today for my new bike im building and im switching to campy cuz im getting part of a record groupo from people helping me out. as i recall the newer record hubs have a black plastic/delron lock ring-like mechanism on the axle. this set however didnt have that and the guy said it was cerca 1998. is there any real difference between them besides a possible cosmetic change? are they as reliable, durable, servicable?

cheers

Tom Robison
10-16-2004, 06:57 PM
this set however didnt have that and the guy said it was cerca 1998. is there any real difference between them besides a possible cosmetic change? are they as reliable, durable, servicable?

I asked Peter Chisholm at Vecchios that same question a couple of weeks ago and here's his answer: "Newer, 1999 and later hubs much better. Freehub on the 1997/8 hubs are a weak point with common failures of the bottom bearing in the freehub body with an inability to get it out to change."

With that in mind, I went with a 2004 Chorus rear hub, which is Record minus the titanium pawls and the grease port.

Hope that helps.

Tom

ronw
10-16-2004, 07:09 PM
wow, that is exactly what i was looking for. thanks tom, glad i past on it then :)