PDA

View Full Version : triple bypass ride reports?

fierte_poser
07-15-2008, 03:55 PM
How was the ride? I'd love to join y'all next year!

Let's hear the stories of domination and destruction!

Kent

iffyjoe
07-15-2008, 04:31 PM
I didn't have the great ride I had last year, but still a good one. Hate that copper to vail leg, otherwise it was good. Dillon road my the ride more beautiful than in the past, and certainly didn't miss Swan Mnt. Weather, now two years in a row was fantastic save a little head wind. All in all a good ride.

chuckred
07-15-2008, 04:32 PM
Sunny all day, no hint of rain. Warm except for the first major descent down from Juniper Pass which bordered on chilly (heard some folks complaining of numb fingers...).

The last second curve ball - having to change the route the day before - Swan Mountain couldn't be closed to motorized traffic due to the Dam Road being shut down by the Denver Water agency, so the bikes were routed over it instead. The Triple organizers did a great job of re-organizing the route and aid station over-night! If you didn't know about the change, it would have been transparent.

I didn't run into any of the other forumites (at least that I know of). Did ride with folks from South Africa, California, Texas, Idaho, Mass, etc., etc. Also, had a nice chat with some of the management from USA Cycling.

On a downer note, heard of one guy who crashed "from his chain getting wrapped around something"(?) and broke his leg. Also heard of a car vs. cyclist accident, although it didn't sound too serious. Saw a the expected number (i.e, more than 0) of scraped elbows and arm slings.

It really is a nicely organized ride and worth doing! Mark your calendar - the registration dateis 1/1/09, a good way to start off your New Year's resolutions. It sold out in 11 days this year!

fierte_poser
07-15-2008, 04:36 PM
I didn't have the great ride I had last year, but still a good one. Hate that copper to vail leg, otherwise it was good. Dillon road my the ride more beautiful than in the past, and certainly didn't miss Swan Mnt. Weather, now two years in a row was fantastic save a little head wind. All in all a good ride.

Hate it because of the climb or hate it because you are on a MUP?

fierte_poser
07-15-2008, 04:44 PM
Sunny all day, no hint of rain. Warm except for the first major descent down from Juniper Pass which bordered on chilly (heard some folks complaining of numb fingers...).

The last second curve ball - having to change the route the day before - Swan Mountain couldn't be closed to motorized traffic due to the Dam Road being shut down by the Denver Water agency, so the bikes were routed over it instead. The Triple organizers did a great job of re-organizing the route and aid station over-night! If you didn't know about the change, it would have been transparent.

I didn't run into any of the other forumites (at least that I know of). Did ride with folks from South Africa, California, Texas, Idaho, Mass, etc., etc. Also, had a nice chat with some of the management from USA Cycling.

On a downer note, heard of one guy who crashed "from his chain getting wrapped around something"(?) and broke his leg. Also heard of a car vs. cyclist accident, although it didn't sound too serious. Saw a the expected number (i.e, more than 0) of scraped elbows and arm slings.

It really is a nicely organized ride and worth doing! Mark your calendar - the registration dateis 1/1/09, a good way to start off your New Year's resolutions. It sold out in 11 days this year!

Sounds like a great day. I rode to Estes Park from Fort Collins on Saturday and the weather was incredible for mid-July.

I'm marking my calendar for next year!

weatherman
07-15-2008, 05:29 PM
How was the ride? I'd love to join y'all next year!

Let's hear the stories of domination and destruction!

Kent

My first year doing the triple and all I can say is what a great ride!! Team Evergreen put on a first class event--my riding group (all first timers) were shocked at how well organized things were from the bag drop off, parking, aid stations, finish line bbq etc. Its not cheap to ride, but the proceeds go to a good cause and its well worth it.

I'd mirror the other comments here--nice and warm (except that first descent)--I saw one rider hit a pothole coming down the first descent and blew out several spokes on the rear wheel--he got it shut down and stayed upright, not sure how as the rear wheel went out of true in a hurry at speed. Didn't see any other mishaps other than an occasional flat tire here/there--although those always seemed to include a stopped sag car with a volunteer assisting with a floor pump etc. I even saw a team car complete with fresh wheels up top--I tried raising my hand and calling for some water bottles, but didn't get any response?????

Anyway, great time and a first class event (helped along by the great weather as well). If you are contemplating this ride, get on it and register early next year, you won't be disappointed.

Z3c
07-15-2008, 05:34 PM
Nice kit you have on in that photo!

Scott

konstantkarma
07-15-2008, 06:54 PM
This flatlander survived. I arrived in CO 10 days before the TB, and rode 3 "big climb rides" (Lefthand Canyon to Brainard Lake, Rabbit Ears Pass from Steamboat, and Trail Ridge Road from Grand Lake) prior to the main event. Other than only having 1 recovery day between Trail Ridge and the TB the ride went well. Next time I'll leave at least 1 extra recovery day! I was in the saddle about 9 hrs, met a few really cool riders, and my team (Champions for Children) raised $82,000 for the Rocky Mountain Children's Law Center. Training for next year's TB begins tomorrow :banana: Oh, and I also saw lots of Serottas :D, and 1 guy riding a Bike Friday down Loveland Pass!

chuckred
07-15-2008, 09:34 PM
This flatlander survived. I arrived in CO 10 days before the TB, and rode 3 "big climb rides" (Lefthand Canyon to Brainard Lake, Rabbit Ears Pass from Steamboat, and Trail Ridge Road from Grand Lake) prior to the main event. Other than only having 1 recovery day between Trail Ridge and the TB the ride went well. Next time I'll leave at least 1 extra recovery day! I was in the saddle about 9 hrs, met a few really cool riders, and my team (Champions for Children) raised $82,000 for the Rocky Mountain Children's Law Center. Training for next year's TB begins tomorrow :banana: Oh, and I also saw lots of Serottas :D, and 1 guy riding a Bike Friday down Loveland Pass!

I saw lots of your guys on the road... stopped by to buy ice cream from your group at the finish, but it was all gone. But, I enjoyed talking to the crew you had and learning about the charity - it seems very worthwhile!

Glad you enjoyed the ride...

I saw the Bike Friday, and have seen one almost every year. One local guy I know often does it on an old Stingray, but not this year. Last year I saw a guy at Copper Mountain (he was doing the Triangle, not the Triple) on a unicycle. I always feel weak compared to some of these crazy folks!

fierte_poser
07-15-2008, 09:48 PM

Nice Klein!

BillyBear
07-16-2008, 09:02 AM
1st timer for the whole route at once, but had done all sections before...9 hrs 45 min in saddle plus about another one and one half eating, resting, etc. 12.3 MPH avg.

The namesake passes are a challenge, but the really crummy part is the 25 miles between Idaho Springs and the foot of Loveland Pass.

Beautiful day and scenery, much more noticable by 226 lb guy slugging up and over in LOW single digit MPH...Big guys, gravity sucks and the mountains don't care how much you can bench press.

Except for a porta potty devoid of TP, it was a superbly run ride.

Bring on the Copper Triangle.

BTW: several ladies from the Title Nine Team out of Boulder did the entire route then turned around rode over Vail Pass the hard way (Vail to Copper) and were in Breckenridge by 8:45 PM. I was just glad the last 25 miles into Avon was all downhill! :bike:

weatherman
07-16-2008, 09:08 AM
Nice kit you have on in that photo!

Scott

Just trying to fly the "team" colors---great ride, you should try it some time! We may do it again next year, let me know if you have interest. On to some mountain bike endurance events now.........

Birddog
07-16-2008, 09:25 AM
This was my 8th Triple and my best time wise. I felt sluggish to crummy at times, esp over Squaw, but my time to the summit was equal to the best I've ever done (1:35). My fingers were damn cold halfway down the descent to IS. The slog from Idaho Springs to Loveland Ski Area is always my least favorite part, esp from Georgetown on. I cleared Loveland pass in 5.5 hours and started to feel better. I felt like more people than usual were passing me and this was a bit disconcerting. After clearing Vail Pass I flew down to Avon mostly solo except for some guys that grabbed my wheel in the lower part of Vail, and then pulled around me outside of Avon. What's all this talk about a "headwind"? I'm from Oklahoma, I didn't notice no stinkin' headwind. Total time was 8:25 and saddle time was probably about 7:40, both bests. After arriving at the park I realized the reason so many people passed me was because there weren't that many people there yet, and I was just in a faster part of the ride than usual. Great day and great ride, probably my last Triple for awhile though. The logistics are just too much of a PIA.

Birddog

iffyjoe
07-16-2008, 10:28 AM
Hate it because of the climb or hate it because you are on a MUP?
don't know what a MUP is. The climb is nothing, it's just that your at 95 miles there, and I usually ride the dillon to copper section really hard, ditto the vail to avon leg. Some reason, more psychological than anything, I've always disliked this leg. This was my 5th. and it's always that way.

Birddog
07-16-2008, 11:00 AM
don't know what a MUP is.
A MUP or MUT is a multi use path or trail.

Birddog

konstantkarma
07-16-2008, 11:03 AM
don't know what a MUP is. The climb is nothing, it's just that your at 95 miles there, and I usually ride the dillon to copper section really hard, ditto the vail to avon leg. Some reason, more psychological than anything, I've always disliked this leg. This was my 5th. and it's always that way.

I think he meant multi-use path (MUP), also known as a MUT (multi-use trail). I agree with the Vail Pass comment. The tank was empty on that last climb of the day, and a couple of those short final grades were over the standard 4-6% we saw on most of the climbs.

iffyjoe
07-17-2008, 02:18 PM
Thanks.

link
07-17-2008, 05:46 PM
good ride for me. it was my birthday too. i rode solo and started in evergreen at a friends house while it was still dark at 4:45. I was on the route by 5:15.

i rode swan mountain because i wanted to have some alone time and i like the curvy descent.

the descent off squaw was chilly as usual ...brrr