PDA

View Full Version : Calfee vs Parlee

wooly
10-16-2004, 05:11 PM
Hey there. New poster but long time lurker.

I've done a search for direct comparisons of these 2 manufacturers but didn't have success.

I'm looking at getting either a Calfee Tetra Pro or a Calfee Z2. Any feedback from you knowledgable folks? I've been feeling a bit schitzo on this - Calfee, Parlee, Calfee, Parlee...

Thanks!

gasman
10-16-2004, 05:31 PM
1 US made in California :banana:

2. Custom made to what you want :banana:

3. 25 year frame warranty :banana:

4.Great ride :banana:

5. Kevan,Vaxn8r, Lemond and I all ride them ;)

You'll never regret it and you will love the ride more every time you go out.

Kevan
10-16-2004, 06:01 PM
Just look at that union of pipes at each end of of a Calfee's seat tube. Pure buttah! Elegance... you might say.

Rides like a bat out of the well known too. :D

Smiley
10-16-2004, 06:07 PM
Both great bikes but correct me if I am wrong is there not a price difference between the Z2 and the Tetra and should you not be comparing this Z2 to the Luna . I like the lugs and lines of the Z2 or better yet go for the Z1 and the split seat stays .

rnhood
10-16-2004, 06:07 PM
I third the Calfee. An outstanding bike even if it is stiff. Get it made with standard Serotta geometry for the particular size you choose though, it takes the crit edge off and you will thank yourself. I expect the Parlee is equally as excellent but, I have not ridden one.

Smiley
10-16-2004, 06:40 PM
Thank you rnhood for bringing up the geometry , I think both brands considered are crit geometry . High BB and small trails . I think that if you ask either company to make these as Serotta geometry you maight as well look at another brand bike . You won't get Craig or Bob's design if you super impose a Serotta spec on these companies.

BumbleBeeDave
10-16-2004, 06:43 PM
. .. isn’t that right?

I vote for the Parlee! ;) ;) ;) :rolleyes:

BBDave

dcotcamp
10-16-2004, 06:55 PM
I haven't ridden the Z2, but I have a Z3C (well, actually it's a Hampsten Tour de Suisse). I used to own a Calfee Tetra Pro. I like the Hampsten -much- better. The Calfee was OK, but the Parlee is outstanding in all respects - climbing, descending, cornering.

I'm also much more fond of the Parlee's looks - never could quite warm up to the gussets on the Calfee.

Really, both are nice bikes, but it might be worth your while to ride them both before deciding.

Dennis

Jeff N.
10-16-2004, 06:58 PM
I've heard some weird stuff about Calfee...on this forum, in fact....something about the small chain ring actually rubbing against the chain stay on some examples. Jeez, have they ironed that out?
I don't ride or own either one, but the word on the street is that Parlee is rapidly gaining the reputation as being the finest custom all-carbon frame out there. I've only seen one in the flesh. Just marvelous. Jeff N.

vaxn8r
10-16-2004, 07:24 PM
I'd like to try a Parlee but I have neer ridden a bike I like as much as my Calfee. That's a bunch of bikes over the years.

People talk about the Calfee gussets like they are there for looks. They are designed to make an incredibly responsive yet at the same time a very light frame. You just are not going to find another bike which can hold a candle to Calfee on climbing and sprinting efforts. I think the gussets make the bike what it is.

Here's another nugget for those on a budget. I hear the CF Cervelo, the one Tyler rode 2 years ago decked with Chorus is retailing for $2,800. If that's true, it seems like an unbelievable value. Just a Chorus build kit runs about $2,400 retail!

davep
10-16-2004, 08:12 PM
I know you said retail, but:

GVH Bikes - Chorus build kit - $1,575
Excel- Chorus build kit - $1,737

That's why I hardly ever buy anything but tubes at my LBS. The Cervelo is still a good value.

slowgoing
10-16-2004, 09:00 PM
Parlee. No question.

RDP
10-16-2004, 10:02 PM
You may want to peruse Bikefanclub Forums for Parlee/Calfee impressions...here (http://www.bikefanclub.com/forum/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/1869/page/0/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/all/fpart/1) and check out visual comparisons here (http://www.bikefanclub.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=1324&password=&sort=1&cat=500&page=1) and here. (http://www.bikefanclub.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=1373&password=&sort=1&cat=500&page=1)

wooly
10-17-2004, 12:17 AM
Seems like most of the Parlee owners here (or those who have seen them) have the Z1. Any spottings of the Z2? I'm wondering what differences in ride character there would be...

As for the post comparing the Z2 to the price of the Luna. The Z2 is 2400ish and the Tetra is 2300. Also, Jonathan at Parlee told me that the 55 that I would ride would weigh about 1040 grams (2.2 lbs), like I even care!

Regarding the Z3C, I think that and the Z2 are very similar, except one is compact and one is not. I'll be transferring my 04 campy record with carbon cranks over to the new frame for what it's worth.

Calfee, Parlee, Calfee, Parlee...aaarrrhhhggg!

even thinking about the Z1 or dragonfly.

RDP
10-17-2004, 01:32 AM
Not to make your carbon obsession any worse :) but if you are looking for something unique that is even more affordable (last time I checked) than either of your top two choices, take a look at a Crumpton. (http://www.bikefanclub.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=1297&password=&sort=1&size=medium&cat=500&page=1) His bikes are impressive (http://www.bikefanclub.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=1445&password=&sort=1&size=medium&cat=500&page=1)

See Crumpton's Website (http://www.crumptoncycles.com/) for more info

Keep us posted on your final course of action....

RDP

weisan
10-17-2004, 04:51 AM
Not to make your carbon obsession any worse :) but if you are looking for something unique that is even more affordable (last time I checked) than either of your top two choices, take a look at a Crumpton. (http://www.bikefanclub.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=1297&password=&sort=1&size=medium&cat=500&page=1) His bikes are impressive (http://www.bikefanclub.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=1445&password=&sort=1&size=medium&cat=500&page=1)

See Crumpton's Website (http://www.crumptoncycles.com/) for more info

Keep us posted on your final course of action....

RDP

Very interesting to see a builder of such calibre in my hometown. Maybe I should check him out. :D

Climb01742
10-17-2004, 05:05 AM
i've never ridden a calfee, but i have test ridden quite a few carbon frames and for me, two really stood out: the cervelo, which rode beautifully but was a bit too stiff for me, yet has an amazing price...based on value, hard to beat. but the frame that really blew me away was the parlee Z1. granted, one long test ride isn't alot to base a statement like i'm about to make on but...that one ride was about as sweet of a ride as i've ever had. the next day i order a hampsten/parlee Z1, which parlee and steve hampsten are very happy to tweak to your wishes. as others have said, bob parlee is getting the rep of buiulding the finest carbon frames out there. IMO, certainly worth a test ride if you can swing it. my frame should arrive any day and i'll post a ride report. if you can be patient, parlee is bringing out a super light frame next spring that is well under 1000 grams i believe. sick, eh? :D

EdK
10-17-2004, 11:31 AM
The Cervelo is a good value but it is not constructed the same way as a Parlee. The Cervelo 2.5 is made up of tubes glued into lugs. Not in an autoclave and probably not under much preasure. The Parlee lug and tube bond is done in the autoclave under significant preasure. Looking at the frames up close this difference at the tube lug junction is very apparent. I have had a Tetra and have ridden a PArlee both ride very nice but stock geometries are short. I like the way the Parlee looks better.

Climb01742
10-17-2004, 11:41 AM
ed, i think you're absolutely right. the parlee is a far better frame (at a far higher price.) but for the money, i think the cervelo delivers quite a lot of zip. :beer:

EdK
10-17-2004, 11:47 AM
Agreed, I actually saw a Cervelo 2.5 Frame/Fork/Headset for $1600 a week or so ago. Had to be a near cost sale. Went back yesterday and it was gone......

jeffg
10-17-2004, 01:38 PM
Just one man's opinion, but I rode several Calfees and did not care for them at all -- mostly the geometry. On the other hand, I am smitten with my Hampsten/Parlee Z1. It handles beautifully, is stiff inm all the right places but comfy enough for long long days in the saddle. Parlees are costly but not like the $4,495 for a D'Fly custom. The 3,495 for a stock D'Fly might not be so bad if the stock geometry worked better. Just my $.02 ...

vaxn8r
10-17-2004, 06:01 PM
I rode a Kestrel recently. Whatever that new model is. It felt quite a bit softer than my Tetra. Don't get me wrong, the Tetra is comfortable but stiff at the same time. The Kestrel just felt more forgiving in the BB area. My guess is it would be less of a rocket. I wonder if someone like Climb might actually like it. Too bad it's so ugly. Then again, that's what people say about my Calfee.

Also, Giant has redone their CF frames this year. They are supposed to be better too.

One thing about the Parlee, reminds me of the Calfee Luna. I personally don't like the lugged CF bikes. Yet I think the gussets on the Tetra are cool. Go figure.

BumbleBeeDave
10-17-2004, 06:15 PM
. . . I think it’s the “Evoke” Squared off looking tubes and all the ones I’ve seen photos of had a paint job that consisted of the word “Evoke” written in huge letters on the frame. May be a nice bike, but pretty gaudy.

BBDave

jeffg
10-17-2004, 07:20 PM
I rode a Kestrel recently. Whatever that new model is. It felt quite a bit softer than my Tetra. Don't get me wrong, the Tetra is comfortable but stiff at the same time. The Kestrel just felt more forgiving in the BB area. My guess is it would be less of a rocket. I wonder if someone like Climb might actually like it. Too bad it's so ugly. Then again, that's what people say about my Calfee.

Also, Giant has redone their CF frames this year. They are supposed to be better too.

One thing about the Parlee, reminds me of the Calfee Luna. I personally don't like the lugged CF bikes. Yet I think the gussets on the Tetra are cool. Go figure.

Vax -- Do you think the D'Fly is ugly as well? The Tetra, I think, is the only frame that has gussets.

vaxn8r
10-17-2004, 11:51 PM
Vax -- Do you think the D'Fly is ugly as well? The Tetra, I think, is the only frame that has gussets.

Uh, that would have to be yes. I bought the Tetra based on the fact that all 3 bikes are tuned to ride exactly the same. The only differences being a few ounces, appearances, some small AL vs ti bits, and a lot of $$$$.

To me the Tetra is a thing of beauty. I actually would put the Luna next and the D FLy....it is a tool for the job. Not that there's anything wrong with that. There are a lot of great bikes that I don't care for.

They all 3 have gussets. If the bike is large enough you can see them.

bostondrunk
10-18-2004, 08:23 AM
drunk has a tetra, and it sees a lot more road time than his legend.
If you go with standard geometry, it fits like what people seem to call a crit bike. Shorter tt, etc. Fits me well. My legend, and every other ti bike I've tried, felt sloppy in comparison. I recently tried a Giant Carbon, and didn't care for that either. Parlee is probably nice too, but why spend the extra bucks...

freddy markham
10-18-2004, 10:37 AM
:banana:

bostondrunk
10-18-2004, 11:37 AM
I would have to disagree with almost every point made by fat freddy.
I have heard very few complaints about Calfee, and have received great service from them. I'm guessing this is an example of the odd person who had a bad experience with them, and now has to flame them. If Calfee had half the problems he says, they would have been out of business years ago.

I think people tend to do things like crash, ruin their bike, and expect the manufacturer to have it fully repaired, repainted, and shipped back to them within days....

jeffg
10-18-2004, 11:44 AM
The only problems I am aware of with Calfees were on the first custom D'Flys, where one or two pulled apart at the HT. Craig then restricted the HT angle deviation from stock to 0.5 degrees. The gussets on the Tetra make it stronger in that regard -- at least according to Craig himself. Parlees follow the same rough guidelines -- you get custom within certain parameters. My Parlee, FWIW, is aligned perfectly and handles beautifully. It won't hold up like my Legend, though, which gets more than 50% of the saddle time (particularly since I am not averse to traveling with it).

wooly
10-18-2004, 11:45 AM
Thanks for all of the feedback. Now I'm going through the decision making of which fork - Alpha Q Sub 3 or the Reynolds Ouzo Pro Lite. Any thoughts on those 2 or any other suggestions?

Order form is beng filled out!

wooly
10-18-2004, 11:48 AM
Here's a pic with the Reynolds Lite. It has a matt finish as opposed to the Sub 3's clear coat over carbon. hmmmmmmm.

dave thompson
10-18-2004, 11:55 AM
Freddy Markham has legal and personal issues with Craig Calfee and CalfeeDesign and he posts his displeasure on various forums when he gets a chance. Markham had posted a similar series of diatribes over at the Calfee forum on the BikeFanClub which were subsequently pulled because he made inflamatory, accusatory statements that served no purpose other than for him to vent his spleen and went beyond mere 'discussion'. Some of his posts could be seen as borderline actionable.

freddy markham
10-18-2004, 11:56 AM

bostondrunk
10-18-2004, 11:57 AM
Is Freddy the idiot who got into an arguement with Calfee about a recumbant they were designing?? What a loser...

Gerard_CSI
10-18-2004, 12:01 PM
Freddy,

I've spoken with Craig several times in the past and have always been very impressed with the company. I was planning on mailing him later today with some product questions. I'm sure he'll find your post very interesting.
G

freddy markham
10-18-2004, 12:09 PM

bostondrunk
10-18-2004, 12:11 PM
I did, and I like it more than my Legend!!
Guess I got one of the few good ones he makes...

wooly
10-18-2004, 12:23 PM
hmmm

rnhood
10-18-2004, 12:46 PM
I guess I got one of the good ones too. My Tetra Custom is outstanding.

DfCas
10-18-2004, 01:34 PM
My Luna is the straightest bike I've ever measured with the alighnment tool.

What a delicious choice to make between a Calfee and a Parlee.Since the front geometries are identical and the others are the same or within a mm or two,1/2 degree at most,I would expect the rides to be VERY similar.You really can't lose.

In my size ~60 the Parlee has a 3mm higher BB.I do wish both would lower their BB's down to 8cm of drop,like Serotta does.

Dan C.

kevininMD
10-18-2004, 01:36 PM
my dragonfly, bought last year and now with well over 1000 miles on it, is aligned perfectly, handles flawlessly and was delivered in about 4-5 weeks. the fit and finish seem unimpeachable.

I have a sub 3 fork which is stiff, very light and I have no complaints at all. quite the opposite.

bostondrunk
10-18-2004, 01:51 PM
OK, this is way too weird!!!! There are like three or four people here with Calfee's (not including Kevan....) who are all happy with their rides???? They haven't broken in half???!!!!
FREDDY!!!! They must all be from a different manufacturer with the Calfee decals applied, right?! :banana: :rolleyes: :bike:

Sandy
10-18-2004, 02:27 PM
I remember reading many posts on the Calfee owner's forum which was associated previously with the Serotta forum. The Calfee owners were amazingly enthusiastic about their Calfees and their experiences with Craig Calfee and his company. They actually seemed more "insane" about their bikes than even Serotta owners. I have not seen too many Calfees in person but have ridden with cyclists who own them, including the Calfee Luna Pro and a custom Calfee Tetra Pro. I have never heard a single negative word said about these bikes. In fact, they all seemed extremely pleased by them. The Luna, according to many, seems to be of excellent value.

Each speaks from the context of his or her personal experiences, perceptions, and emotions. I personally feel that Calfee produces some of the very finest bikes in the world, carbon or other materials.

I do not know, nor care to know about internal happenings within the company. I respect Mr. Calfee and what he produces. I am but one cyclist.

Kevan's Bud Serotta Sandy

Jeff Weir
10-18-2004, 03:04 PM
I've had my Tetra-Pro for three years and love it. Rides like a dream.

slowgoing
10-18-2004, 03:42 PM
I previously posted details in another thread, but I bought a tetra pro and didn't like it at all. I have it away to a relative. I also have an atlanta and a hors and love them. No comparison, in my opinion.

Climb01742
10-18-2004, 04:02 PM
hmmm

wooly, sorry to bring the thread back to your question...i'm getting a hampsten/parlee and steve hampsten recommended the sub 3...in fact he said that the sub 3 will be their standard fork choice...if that helps. ;)

vaxn8r
10-18-2004, 04:39 PM
My lbs has sold about 100 Calfees over the last few years. The manager and I are good friends. He thinks the way Craig runs his business is a bit goofy but has had zero problems with the bikes. The only ones broken were hit by motor vehicles. I have over 3,000 on my Tetra since late March and it tracks straight and true.

Freddy, it seems you have an axe to grind. Nobody likes to feel cheated and obviously you do. I don't think you're going about it in a productive or mature manner.

BD, you have a Tetra? Did you get it this year?

That Parlee in the prior post is a stealth weapon. There's lots of good choices in any material you like nowdays. Choosing is the hard part.

BigMac
10-18-2004, 04:59 PM
Excuse me, what exactly does any of this nonsense have to do with Serotta Bicycles? I'm sure there is someplace else you can discuss these plastic contraptions besides a Serotta paid-for and hosted site no? Go to Calfee.com/Parlee.com or whatever. heck do a Google search, you'll find all sorts of opinions on each if that really matters to you. In the end, do you really expect to make a buying decision on a $3k frame based on an internet forum?

Then some clown wants to turn the forum into his own diatribe about the employment history of Craig Calfee? Good Lord buddy, grow some 'nads, be a man and deal with this directly with Craig. To come on an internet forum, one that again has nothing to do with Calfee or his previous firm, Carbonframes, and turn this into your personal whinefest is not only spineless, cowardess and disrespectful, it's probably liable as well. Slither on back under that rock from whence you came.

Just buy whatever bike will make you ride more. The rest does not really matter in the grand scheme.

Ok, kiddies, back to your "fun". This rain and wind sucks...I'm going riding anyway...reading anymore of this may turn me into a drunk and Lord knows one is already one too many.

Ride on! :banana: :banana: :banana:

freddy markham
10-18-2004, 05:35 PM
This started as a Calfee vs Parlee thread. I gave my personal opinion on what I know about Calfee bikes and I always will. I've earned my right to say whatever it is I say. I don't come on these forums to make stuff up, I tell it like it is. Take my 30+ years of experience for what it's worth. To you maybe it's not much, to others it's priceless.

Freddy

quattro
10-19-2004, 07:37 AM
I put an Easton SLX on my Parlee Z1 and I am very impressed with the ride quality and the construction of this fork. This full carbon fork weights 300g and gives a very comfortable ride. I have a Reynolds Ouzo Pro on my IF Crown Jewel Ti and while I like the Reynolds very much I like the Easton SLX more. This fork also has a 300mm carbon fiber steerer tube, as compared to the Reynolds at 285mm, and if needed Easton advertises their fork allows for 4cm of spacers, again as compared to Reynolds at 3cm. Just my impressions but I would suggest you check out the Eason SLX before deciding on the Reynolds or Alpha Q. The new 2005 version of the SLX will have carbon fiber drop outs as well, not sure when it will be available.

freddy markham
10-19-2004, 12:09 PM
see for yourself how fat I am

http://ffmcycling.com

bulliedawg
10-19-2004, 01:15 PM
see for yourself how fat I am

http://ffmcycling.com

Is that your wife, or your daughter?

jerk
10-19-2004, 01:20 PM
maybe what this moron is saying is true. who cares. calfees are nice bikes. parlees are nice bikes and this idiot thinks recumbents are bikes which they are not. even if they were, they certainly wouldn't be nice bikes.....remember kids, the only thing wrong with a recumbent is that the nut on the seat is always loose.

(big mac, want to split a six of anchor steam?)

jerk

tch
10-19-2004, 02:00 PM
Man, I went to the website.... Fast Freddie, you need an ego-reduction operation! It's true that you have accomplished a lot of stuff. But it's also true that there's such a thing as a blatant pathological need to build oneself up. Try spending some time without using the word "I".

bulliedawg
10-19-2004, 02:35 PM
Let's not make the mistake of assuming this Freddy is that Freddy. This is the internet, afterall.

Sandy
10-19-2004, 02:44 PM
I am old and do not have a very good memory, so I might have asked you the following questions before. Is that an American Bulldog in your picture? Is that your dog? It certainly has a massive head. How much does it weigh? (The whole dog) You seldom see American Bulldogs around here. If so, they are normally thought to be Pit Bulls, since you see more and more of them, and they look similar.

With a big head, but a real small brain,

Pea Brain Sandy

bulliedawg
10-19-2004, 03:11 PM
I am old and do not have a very good memory, so I might have asked you the following questions before. Is that an American Bulldog in your picture? Is that your dog? It certainly has a massive head. How much does it weigh? (The whole dog) You seldom see American Bulldogs around here. If so, they are normally thought to be Pit Bulls, since you see more and more of them, and they look similar.

With a big head, but a real small brain,

Pea Brain Sandy
Sandy:

I don't think you've asked me this question before. If you have, then we'll share a room at the rest home.

That is an English bulldog. Heis UGA VI, who is the official mascot of the University of Georgia. His photo is easily available on the internet. That picture was taken at picture day a few years ago.

UGA VI is very big for an English bulldog, at about 65 pounds. You are correct, he has a huge head. Most bulldogs do. They are bred for their huge heads. My wife, who's a large animal vet, told me that some ***** bulldogs must give birth by c-section because the puppies have such abnormally large heads. Sometimes its amazing the strange things we do with dogs.

I have three dogs of my own. All mutts. You've seen a photo of them with my bike. I also have a big fat black cat who is delightful. He loves the dogs and the dogs love him. His name is Ello. He is named after a ghost who lives in my wife's home town of Liberty, South Carolina.

A man named Ello Everett owned the local repair garage in Liberty. It was open 24 hours-per-day. When Ello died, his sons took over. They decided to close the garage on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday nights. It is said that the ghost of Ello Everett visited his sons and expressed his anger at them for changing the schedule. So, they went back to their father's way of doing things. A true ghost story for this Halloween season.

csb
10-19-2004, 06:32 PM
do ya think freddy maertens every slung a leg(s) into a recumbent?

p.s. where do you put the chamois creme in a recumbent?

alembical
10-20-2004, 10:45 AM
Sort of on the new topic, any one see this from Velonews http://www.velonews.com/race/int/articles/7113.0.html :

Former pro Jeroen Blijlevens has announced he will make an attempt on the world land speed record for bikes. Currently held by Blijlevens' fellow Dutchman Fred Rompelberg at 268.6kph (167.9mph), the record involves drafting an air dam mounted on a high-powered car across the Bonneville Salt Flats in Utah.

Blijlevens, perhaps best known for his Tour de France tussle with Bobby Julich in 2000, retired earlier this year and is slated to become assistant directeur sportif with Van Hemert-Eurogifts next season. But said he is looking for other challenges as well.

"To reach that speed on a bicycle fascinates me," Blijlevens told the Dutch news agency ANP.

Blijlevens noted in a press release issued Wednesday that he plans to make his record attempt in September of next year, but will start his preparations in the coming weeks.

davep
10-20-2004, 12:47 PM
What size gear would you have to turn to go 168mph?

JohnS
10-20-2004, 01:02 PM
53:12...you just increase your cadence! :beer:

CalfeeFly
10-20-2004, 02:13 PM

admin
10-20-2004, 02:35 PM
the end.