PDA

View Full Version : Teams leave ProTour

cak
07-15-2008, 11:18 AM
So it happened. Is the UCI now dead as an organization? Maybe we will go back to a better split between pro and amateurs. In the end I think it is a good thing that the teams are growing some testicles and taking a side.
Andrew

Cycling News Flash, July 15, 2008
Edited by Ben Abrahams

All teams decide to leave UCI ProTour series
The UCI's ProTour series appears to be officially dead after all 17 teams at the Tour de France decided to leave the series and not renew their licences next season.

"It has been decided unanimously not to renew the ProTour licences for the 2009 season," read a joint statement from the teams.

The teams met Tuesday in Pau during the Tour's first rest day and indicated that they would form a new alliance with the three Grand Tour organisers Amaury Sport Organisation, RCS Sport and Unipublic. "The teams are working to develop a new system of organisation of professional cycling," the statement added.

The only ProTour team not present at the Tour de France, Astana, is also expected to leave the ProTour. "If everybody decides so, I can't imagine Astana will not follow," Astana chief press officer Philippe Maertens told Reuters.

UCI President Pat McQuaid told Reuters that all the teams could face exclusion from the UCI. "We'll deal with that according to the regulations," said McQuaid. "They face exclusion from the international federation. It is something we are going to discuss."

Cyclingnews will have more on this story as it develops.

1centaur
07-15-2008, 11:46 AM
UCI President Pat McQuaid told Reuters that all the teams could face exclusion from the UCI.[/I]

"Yeah, well, you can't quit...you're fired!"

SoCalSteve
07-15-2008, 12:22 PM
So it happened. Is the UCI now dead as an organization? Maybe we will go back to a better split between pro and amateurs. In the end I think it is a good thing that the teams are growing some testicles and taking a side.
Andrew

Cycling News Flash, July 15, 2008
Edited by Ben Abrahams

All teams decide to leave UCI ProTour series
The UCI's ProTour series appears to be officially dead after all 17 teams at the Tour de France decided to leave the series and not renew their licences next season.

"It has been decided unanimously not to renew the ProTour licences for the 2009 season," read a joint statement from the teams.

The teams met Tuesday in Pau during the Tour's first rest day and indicated that they would form a new alliance with the three Grand Tour organisers Amaury Sport Organisation, RCS Sport and Unipublic. "The teams are working to develop a new system of organisation of professional cycling," the statement added.

The only ProTour team not present at the Tour de France, Astana, is also expected to leave the ProTour. "If everybody decides so, I can't imagine Astana will not follow," Astana chief press officer Philippe Maertens told Reuters.

UCI President Pat McQuaid told Reuters that all the teams could face exclusion from the UCI. "We'll deal with that according to the regulations," said McQuaid. "They face exclusion from the international federation. It is something we are going to discuss."
Cyclingnews will have more on this story as it develops.

Now that is the funniest thing I have ever heard!

No wonder they are all leaving.

Just sayin',

Steve

PS: If no one is involved with them, how can they "deal with them according to regulations"....Just WAY too funny!!!

Charles M
07-15-2008, 12:41 PM
The UCI still hold the Olympic card (kinda...).

That said, for the last couple of years I have asked the "why is there a UCI?" question.

They don't run any races. They're not promoters. They don't represent the Riders. They don't represent the teams. They don't do race support...

The one thing left that scares me is that I really wanted a top level of teams that are all required to have year round testing to the degree that Garmin and Columbia do...

If not, the Liquigas / LPR type teams will sign the dopers and you'll see "XYZ" b-team riders all over the front of the big races... Very shortly afterward you could simply see the sport slip backward as companies are not going to spend the money to sponsor clean losers.

The riders also need to restructure the joke of a riders union they have. How many folks can name the head of the riders union or know who the US representitive is?

What a great opportunity the sport has right now... Get the hell out from under an organization who's primary goal for far too long is to be in power instead of producing a better sport for riders, sponsors and fans.

johnnymossville
07-15-2008, 12:45 PM
Maybe LeMond knew something last week when he said the UCI wasn't needed anymore. Hmmmm, wonder if he'll be involved in whatever organization replaces the UCI?

paczki
07-15-2008, 12:48 PM
The UCI still hold the Olympic card (kinda...).

That said, for the last couple of years I have asked the "why is there a UCI?" question.

They don't run any races. They're not promoters. They don't represent the Riders. They don't represent the teams. They don't do race support...

The one thing left that scares me is that I really wanted a top level of teams that are all required to have year round testing to the degree that Garmin and Columbia do...

If not, the Liquigas / LPR type teams will sign the dopers and you'll see "XYZ" b-team riders all over the front of the big races... Very shortly afterward you could simply see the sport slip backward as companies are not going to spend the money to sponsor clean losers.

The riders also need to restructure the joke of a riders union they have. How many folks can name the head of the riders union or know who the US representitive is?

What a great opportunity the sport has right now... Get the hell out from under an organization who's primary goal for far too long is to be in power instead of producing a better sport for riders, sponsors and fans.

+ :banana: :banana: :banana:

rcnute
07-15-2008, 01:59 PM
What--practically--does this mean?

BumbleBeeDave
07-15-2008, 02:57 PM

. . . Pat McQuaid goes back to barista at Starbuck's?

BBD

girlie
07-15-2008, 02:59 PM
. . . Pat McQuaid goes to Starbuck's?

- to "discuss" stuff - really important stuff.

girlie

Walter
07-15-2008, 03:26 PM
The UCI just got too greedy and arrogant. They extract huge sums from the teams to have a Pro Tour license. These teams are then required to go to all of the races the UCI dictates. This results in larger teams and more travel which costs huge money to the teams.

The race organizers also have to pay big $$$ to the UCI to stage the races. Some of the events are staged in markets that do nothing for the sponsors of some teams (no marketing or sales presence in that country) merely because the UCI gets money from the country or the promoter. Like in F1, they sell the events to the highest bidder without regard to any long-term implications for the teams...and pocket all of the money.

The big Pro Tour events are told they can have only a very few non-Pro Tour teams in the event. This is done by the UCI to create power from nothing so they can strong-arm the teams into buying the Pro Tour licenses (you cannot go to Pro Tour event unless you buy a Pro Tour license). However, the events need local teams that may be non-Pro Tour members to generate spectator, regional sponsor and TV interest for their events.

At the same time, non-Pro Tour events suffer because the big teams cannot show up. Thus, no big draws, then no sponsors and no TV coverage. Those races then die off.

Lastly, the UCI has wanted a slice of the revenue (especially the television money) from events like the Tour, la Vuelta, and the Giro from the creation of the Pro Tour (this is the big point of contention)...all while taking no financial risk and no role in promoting the event.

Let me see here...everybody pays more to get less and the UCI gets lots of money from everyone for stamping a license and doing not much more, other than creating more issues than they resolve?

The UCI should go back to what it was: license riders and provide a framework of rules only. The UCI is not the show, the riders and the events are.

crashjames
07-15-2008, 03:31 PM
Maybe LeMond knew something last week when he said the UCI wasn't needed anymore. Hmmmm, wonder if he'll be involved in whatever organization replaces the UCI?

I kinda thought Lemond was floating a trial baloon to see if anyone would hire him to run that organization. Seems like he has some time on his hands these days, and is desperately trying to stay relevant.

Charles M
07-15-2008, 07:42 PM
Greg didn't need to go looking for a reporter to talk to... He answered a question.

er, correctly as it turns out...

Tom
07-16-2008, 06:18 AM
"Just cause you're running the show don't mean you're in charge." - Todd Snider

coopdog
07-16-2008, 08:49 AM

I could be mistaken, but I think if it were completely up to the UCI, Garmin-Chipotle would not be in the tour since they are not a ProTour team. They are a Continental Team. Which means they were invited by the organizers of the Tour de France (the ASO) and not the UCI.

Dekonick
07-16-2008, 08:17 PM
Reality check.... :beer:

Spud
07-16-2008, 10:30 PM
I'm on board! This is the best thing that could happen. UCI is screwed.
Does this mean we get ALL the riders back? Landis, Ulrich, Basso,....Armstong?