PDA

View Full Version : Any TomTom GPS users?

93legendti
07-15-2008, 05:45 AM
I am thinking about a TomTom for overseas travel...anyone have personal experience? Thanks.

Pete Serotta
07-15-2008, 07:37 AM
let me suggest a "goggle" of TomTom or Garmin Forums......It might give you something. SOme of the magazines (again google) might help. I have a Garmin 350 but have only used it in the US.

example - - http://www.gpsreview.net/tomtom-one-north-america-vs-europe/

Pete

Climb01742
07-15-2008, 09:12 AM
I am thinking about a TomTom for overseas travel...anyone have personal experience? Thanks.

we took our to italy two years ago and it was fantastic. saved our days a few times. tomtom is a dutch company and is the #1 brand in europe. their maps in europe are the best by far, especially the tiny roads. and, tomtoms are soooooo easy to use. 110% recommendation.

ps: get the john cleese voice. it's a riot.

93legendti
07-15-2008, 09:15 AM
we took our to italy two years ago and it was fantastic. saved our days a few times. tomtom is a dutch company and is the #1 brand in europe. their maps in europe are the best by far, especially the tiny roads. and, tomtoms are soooooo easy to use. 110% recommendation.

ps: get the john cleese voice. it's a riot.
Thanks Jim, which model do you have?

malcolm
07-15-2008, 11:29 AM
93, we went to Italy last July and used the garmin nuvi that comes preloaded with Europe and the US and never found one road that wasn't in the standard data base. We drove all over Tuscany, Forte Di Marmi (spelling ?) and Florence, some of the roads were little more than foot paths that our van would barely fit down, but all were right there. I've never used the tom tom, but the garmin is very intuitive as in we never looked at the instructions. I would definitely recommend some sort of gps as it made getting around very easy and I suspect it would have been a disaster otherwise.

Climb01742
07-15-2008, 11:35 AM
Thanks Jim, which model do you have?

ours is at least two years old. i think it's the 700 or something. a newer, smaller, sleeker model is the "one", which the mrs has her eye on.

93legendti
07-15-2008, 12:28 PM
93, we went to Italy last July and used the garmin nuvi that comes preloaded with Europe and the US and never found one road that wasn't in the standard data base. We drove all over Tuscany, Forte Di Marmi (spelling ?) and Florence, some of the roads were little more than foot paths that our van would barely fit down, but all were right there. I've never used the tom tom, but the garmin is very intuitive as in we never looked at the instructions. I would definitely recommend some sort of gps as it made getting around very easy and I suspect it would have been a disaster otherwise.

Thanks, that's the other choice...

ours is at least two years old. i think it's the 700 or something. a newer, smaller, sleeker model is the "one", which the mrs has her eye on.
930go?

chuckaw
07-15-2008, 12:52 PM
I had a tomtom now I have a nuvi 350 and am thinking of going back and getting one of the newer tomies. The tomtom menu is laid out better atmo and just has more options. Navigating the menus is much easier. I switched because the us maps were not very current but I think tomtom has started to deal with that issue. Tomtom is probably the best choice for Europe though.

Polyglot
07-15-2008, 10:33 PM
I owned a Garmin for a couple of years which was stolen out of my car and replaced it with a TomTom (which I have now had for 2 years) and must say that the TomTom is superior in every way. Part of that is due to teh improved technology, but for the rest I still would buy a TomTom. The TomTom that I have was the first one that came preloaded with Europe and North America maps (I believe it is a 910go), plus all the other gadgets and has been great. I have used it in both Europe and North America. In Europe I have never found a street that is not in its database. In North America I have come across a few new neighborhoods that were not listed until I got an update. The biggest advantage of the TomTom is however the remote control. It allows me to place the GPS far forward on the windshield and not need to continually be reaching forward. It also makes use of the bluetooth hands-free telephone device simple as can be. Almost forgot, I was super happy on the first trip that I made to Italy with the TomTom when it started chirping at me unexpectedly to point out all the speed cameras. The savings on speeding tickets on that trip alone paid for the GPS... For those traveling to Italy, beware of the speed cameras, they are sprouting up everywhere. When I lived there from 1991 to 2001, I regularly drove down the autosrade at between 160-190 km/h and was often passed by others go faster yet. Today it is a rare event to see anybody driving that fast. Italy is dying from this new-found respect for the law. People are even paying their taxes...

93legendti
07-18-2008, 02:46 PM
Thanks for everyone's help. I went with the TomTom GO 930. This thread, a $434.99 price with free shipping from an eBay dealer AND a 10% off coupon eBay emailed me after my CSi (score!) eBay purchase, made the decision easy. Total price shipped: $391.49. Thanks everyone. :)

Climb01742
07-18-2008, 03:30 PM
have a safe and happy trip.

and have fun with the tomtom voices.

93legendti
07-18-2008, 03:42 PM
have a safe and happy trip.

and have fun with the tomtom voices.

Thanks.

I think James Earl Jones' voice would be cool...