PDA

View Full Version : Doctor charged in one road-rage case, linked to another

jmc22
07-14-2008, 01:32 PM
Lets hope that if the Court does find him guilty, they throw the book at him:

By VeloNews.com
Posted Jul. 13, 2008
A California physician alleged to have braked suddenly in front of two cyclists has been charged with four felony counts and could face more than seven years in prison if convicted, according to The Los Angeles Times.

Christopher Thomas Thompson, 59, was charged Friday with two felony counts each of reckless driving causing injury and battery with serious bodily injury in connection with a July 4 incident that sent one cyclist flying through his car’s rear window and the other to the asphalt.

The cyclists, Ron Peterson and Christian Stoehr, alleged that Thompson deliberately bit the brakes in front of them after they exchanged words while descending Mandeville Canyon Road.

Peterson, 40, suffered broken teeth, a broken nose and serious cuts on his face that required 90 stitches to close. Stoehr, 29, had a shoulder separation that he said would require surgery.

Thompson has not spoken to the press about the crash. His lawyer, Peter Swarth, has called it “an unfortunate accident.”

But the Times report quotes a Los Angeles Police Department spokesman as saying that Thompson was involved in a similar encounter with cyclists on March 11, also on Mandeville Canyon Road.

According to LAPD Capt. William Eaton, another pair of cyclists riding on Mandeville Canyon Road accused Thompson of running them off the road and then shouting at them. The Los Angeles city attorney's office declined to file charges, according to the Times.

Thompson, who is free on $30,000 bail, is to be arraigned Aug. 1 at the airport branch of Los Angeles County Superior Court, the Times reported. If found guilty on all counts, he could face up to seven years and eight months in state prison.

jeffg
07-14-2008, 01:54 PM
Lets hope that if the Court does find him guilty, they throw the book at him:

By VeloNews.com
Posted Jul. 13, 2008
A California physician alleged to have braked suddenly in front of two cyclists has been charged with four felony counts and could face more than seven years in prison if convicted, according to The Los Angeles Times.

Christopher Thomas Thompson, 59, was charged Friday with two felony counts each of reckless driving causing injury and battery with serious bodily injury in connection with a July 4 incident that sent one cyclist flying through his car’s rear window and the other to the asphalt.

The cyclists, Ron Peterson and Christian Stoehr, alleged that Thompson deliberately bit the brakes in front of them after they exchanged words while descending Mandeville Canyon Road.

Peterson, 40, suffered broken teeth, a broken nose and serious cuts on his face that required 90 stitches to close. Stoehr, 29, had a shoulder separation that he said would require surgery.

Thompson has not spoken to the press about the crash. His lawyer, Peter Swarth, has called it “an unfortunate accident.”

But the Times report quotes a Los Angeles Police Department spokesman as saying that Thompson was involved in a similar encounter with cyclists on March 11, also on Mandeville Canyon Road.

According to LAPD Capt. William Eaton, another pair of cyclists riding on Mandeville Canyon Road accused Thompson of running them off the road and then shouting at them. The Los Angeles city attorney's office declined to file charges, according to the Times.

Thompson, who is free on $30,000 bail, is to be arraigned Aug. 1 at the airport branch of Los Angeles County Superior Court, the Times reported. If found guilty on all counts, he could face up to seven years and eight months in state prison.

This guy has done this before ... he deserves to rot, especially since I believe he is an ER doc. Hippocratic oath, anyone?

SoCalSteve
07-14-2008, 02:36 PM
Actually, in talkiing to people "in the know" this is the 3rd incident of road rage against cyclists on Mandeville Canyon.

I hope this guy GOES DOWN!

Steve

toaster
07-14-2008, 02:48 PM
A couple questions:

Is Mandeville Canyon an out and back ride from Sunset Blvd?

How long and steep a climb is it and what is the appeal of the road for cycling?

To think of a doctor using his car as a weapon and intentionally taking out cyclists makes you wonder about the guy's sanity.

He should lose his medical license and get a criminals sentence in jail and be sued for every piece of his assets he has in that wealthy neighborhood. F-er!

Bud_E
07-14-2008, 03:24 PM
A couple questions:

Is Mandeville Canyon an out and back ride from Sunset Blvd?

How long and steep a climb is it and what is the appeal of the road for cycling?

To think of a doctor using his car as a weapon and intentionally taking out cyclists makes you wonder about the guy's sanity.

He should lose his medical license and get a criminals sentence in jail and be sued for every piece of his assets he has in that wealthy neighborhood. F-er!

Yeah. I've ridden it many, many times. It's easy to get to from Santa Monica/West L.A. and is convenient if you want to do hill repeats without having to ride up the coast. I think that it's about 5.5 miles from sunset to the top where it dead-ends at probably an average 4% pitch except it gets quite a bit steeper in the last eighth mile or so. For the most part it's a very pleasant ride because of the beautiful homes and not much traffic. It's a relatively narrow road with cars parked on either side and no sidewalk so joggers and folks walking the dog also have to use the road and there's usually some sort of construction going on. The problem comes in when groups of several riders go up/down 2 or 3 abreast and often are unaware ( or don't care ) that there are cars behind them trying to get past. And on holidays like July 4 there is usually a ride going up there with a couple of hundred riders.

I can understand the frustration of residents who have to interact with the riders on a daily basis. Of course nothing could justify what this bastard did and I truly hope he gets some jail and gets his ass sued.

BURCH
07-14-2008, 03:50 PM
Geez. Because of the obvious hatred this guy has for cyclists, I have to wonder if a cyclists goes into the ER for an injury does he not give them the best care possible? Could his disdain go that far?

Steelhead
07-14-2008, 03:51 PM
How can we do the following:

** Write a letter to the judge that will preside over the trial, asking him to hand down a serious punishment.
** Write to the California Medical board/AMA asking that this guys license be pulled or at least suspended.

I can't believe this - what a scary thing.

Kevan
07-14-2008, 04:01 PM
let's all chip in and buy him a bike.

Hmm...maybe not.

Bud_E
07-14-2008, 04:01 PM
I've already written Steve Cooley, the L.A. District Atty, encouraging him to press fully with the charges. Don't want to let this guy off the hook.

dookie
07-14-2008, 04:04 PM
i've already turned the AMA onto the LA Times article.

Kevan
07-14-2008, 04:08 PM
he's now pushing a software system on hospitals and such. According to his website I read last week.

dmgry
07-14-2008, 04:19 PM
I ride Mandeville a lot. The last couple hundred yards are a 10+% grade. Its a Canyon Road with a fair amount of shade for hot days. Mandeville also leads to several trailheads for mountain biking as well. Given how many times I have riden this stretch I am thank full that I have never run into this jerk.

Steelhead
07-14-2008, 04:42 PM
he's now pushing a software system on hospitals and such. According to his website I read last week.

What is the url for his website?

jthurow
07-14-2008, 04:57 PM
What is the url for his website?http://www.touchmedix.com/

jimi

BumbleBeeDave
07-14-2008, 06:48 PM
. . . his mailbox may already be full.

BBD

Bill Bove
07-15-2008, 08:53 AM
Geez. Because of the obvious hatred this guy has for cyclists, I have to wonder if a cyclists goes into the ER for an injury does he not give them the best care possible? Could his disdain go that far?
same thing crossed my mind... once these two guys who were hurt take possesion of his house they ought to turn it into a bed & breakfast for cyclists.

Fixed
07-15-2008, 09:02 AM
the cats that got hurt were swoops bros
cheers

girlie
07-15-2008, 09:27 AM
cheers

Hell I was in L.A. for only a few months and I met swoop......the mans a cyclist slut;)

chuckred
07-15-2008, 09:51 AM
cheers

This reached out to alot of people - the cycling community is pretty well connected and when it bands together, crosses quite a spectrum!

Just examples from out here in the Rockies...

1) My sister and bro in law bought a lot of stuff from Cynergy Cylcles. Not sure if these guys worked there or were just on their team, but from what I hear, the guys at the shop are top notch. They treated me well with an exchange...

2) Riding the Triple By Pass the other day, we were talking about this case. A lady near by spoke up that she lives near by and rides Mandeville all the time.

Charles M
07-15-2008, 09:55 AM
No mention of this guy on the Touchmedix site now... :bike:

Keith A
07-15-2008, 10:06 AM
he's now pushing a software system on hospitals and such. According to his website I read last week.How did you know this was his software? The only person I saw mentioned in my scan of the site was "JOHN UPHOLD".

rahill
07-15-2008, 10:28 AM
How did you know this was his software? The only person I saw mentioned in my scan of the site was "JOHN UPHOLD".

Look at the Google cached version. HIs bio has been removed from the current site. http://209.85.141.104/search?q=cache:p3QKK72BXGMJ:www.touchmedix.com/AboutUs.aspx

chuckred
07-15-2008, 10:28 AM
I think it was listed in one of the early news reports about the guy...

ejh
07-15-2008, 10:46 AM
quote from Fixed: he should have to treat cyclest free forever. I would not want him to touch me. he should have to pay for a diffrent Dr. to treat cyclest forever.

Kevan
07-15-2008, 11:15 AM
How did you know this was his software? The only person I saw mentioned in my scan of the site was "JOHN UPHOLD".

LA Times: "Police arrested the driver, Christopher T. Thompson, 58, on suspicion of felony assault with a deadly weapon -- his automobile. Thompson, who lives on Mandeville Canyon Road and is an owner of a medical documentation company in Woodland Hills, was released on $30,000 bail."

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-bike9-2008jul09,0,6023414.story

Touch Medix website: "Chris Thompson, MD, FACEP a practicing, board-certified emergency physician for 29 years is also a consultant, product designer and developer for Kurzweil AI products, Medhost Inc., and others for over the last 15 years. Dr. Thompson is a graduate of the University of Oklahoma where he was president of his graduating class, was elected to Alpha Omega Alpha medical honorary society and trained in general surgery. Dr. Thompson has detailed knowledge of the documentation needs of an emergency department. He is exquisitely aware of the problems solved and problems created for practitioners, nurses and others by current and previous software. After personal and group frustration as well as dissatisfaction with multiple emergency department information systems (EDIS) software products, he led the team that created the Touch Medix products. He is a long-time consultant with Physicians’ Choice on a wide range of documentation issues. "

http://209.85.141.104/search?q=cache:p3QKK72BXGMJ:www.touchmedix.com/AboutUs.aspx

I gather the names found here are connected to the alleged driver.

malcolm
07-15-2008, 11:16 AM
First off what the guy did was completely unacceptable and he should fry. My question is why the focus on his profession, if he were a plumber should he pay for your plumbing problems for life. I think the guy should be punished to the fullest extent of the law, which probably won't be enough to satisfy me or most of you guys.

dave thompson
07-15-2008, 11:30 AM
First off what the guy did was completely unacceptable and he should fry. My question is why the focus on his profession, if he were a plumber should he pay for your plumbing problems for life. I think the guy should be punished to the fullest extent of the law, which probably won't be enough to satisfy me or most of you guys.
Perhaps the reason for focusing on his profession is his profession, for which a prime rule is: "First, do no harm". He did harm, apparently intentionally, violating everything the medical profession stands for. Therefore the intense scrutiny of who he is.

Gothard
07-15-2008, 11:32 AM
The focus would be because he is fully aware of the injuries he inflicted to the riders, and the potential long term damage. A plumber would look at this like a bar brawl that you forget in a week, he will know that the consequences are on the victims' bodies and faces forever.
And no he can't argue "not thinking clearly" because he did it already and had time to reflect on his actions, yet decided to repeat them.

He deserves serious punishment, and he will only understand jail and *big* financial damage.

malcolm
07-15-2008, 11:38 AM
I agree with what you are saying, but the hippocratic oath applies to practice of medicine not idiotic behavior in a motor vehicle. Maybe physicians should be held to a higher standard, but the profession seemed to take precedence over the heinous act and I would argue there is something wrong with this guy way beyond what he does for a living. I also don't think you need to be a physician to understand bad things can happen when you cause someone to run into the back of your car.

paczki
07-15-2008, 11:41 AM

I think because the original article stressed that after the accident he gave no help to the injured cyclists.

malcolm
07-15-2008, 11:44 AM
If he rendered no aid at the scene his license should be stripped without question.

Tom
07-15-2008, 12:01 PM
If he rendered no aid at the scene his license should be stripped without question.

Exactly. If he was there, and he clearly was, whatever the circumstances if he didn't help that's serious. I was on a group ride where a crash happened and immediately this rusty beat up pickup stopped and a young woman got out with a crash kit and took over. After the cops and the ambulance came and took away the guy with the broken shoulder and a decent case of shock I thanked her for stopping and she seemed surprised, saying "I'm a nurse. I have to stop."

morty
07-15-2008, 12:37 PM

I believe I heard somewhere that the cyclist who went through his back window told the Dr. to "keep the h*ll away from me," or something to that effect. I wouldn't want him to touch me either.

vaxn8r
07-15-2008, 12:47 PM
Is he a practicing ER Doc? I wonder. Some of the guys who get into electronic medical records are physician burnouts who got sick of the long hours or on call hours. EMR is a way to get out of the rigors of medicine but still use your years of expertise to make an income.

Burnout=chronic stress=poor behavior.

No idea. Just conjecture.

MilanoTom
07-15-2008, 12:49 PM
I think because the original article stressed that after the accident he gave no help to the injured cyclists.

I agree. Not only did he not render aid, but he stood there screaming at the injured cyclists. It's one thing to cut them off and slam on the brakes. Yeah, it's stupid and unacceptable, but I'd venture a guess that most people who would do that kind of thing aren't really trying to kill or maim somebody ("I was just trying to scare 'em."). On the most basic cynical level, most folks realize that killing or maiming somebody causes more problems than it's worth. If youraverage bonehead did something like cut the riders off and slam on the brakes, and it turned out to cause the injuries that occurred in this incident, the natural reaction would be "Oh SH*T!!! NOW what do I do?!?" Then they'd either haul a** or stop, call the cops, and try to help, almost as though they could undo what they'd just caused. You'd especially expect medical professionals to help, once they realize how bad they'd f*cked things up.

The reaction of this guy is nothing short of insane. It's made even more insane because he's trained to almost instinctively deal with trauma. Instead, it's almost as though he didn't recognize the severity of what had occurred. Even if he didn't think it was his fault, you'd still expect that he (or any sane person) would at least be able recognize how badly those two guys were hurt.

It's enough to give one chills to think that there are plenty of others out there who aren't any better than this guy - they just haven't snapped yet.

Regards.
Tom

ejh
07-15-2008, 12:53 PM
I don't know what the law is in CA but here in Colorado a Dr. does not have to stop, but if you are an EMT you do. thats why I only became a first responder. I stop anyway.

malcolm
07-15-2008, 02:46 PM
As far as I know, no state requires physicians to stop and render aid. In reality there is very little a physician can do roadside other than possibly prevent further injury (c spine, etc.) and cpr and if you need cpr secondary to trauma your survivability is nil. However you should still help and I think most states have prudent layperson laws that protect physicians giving aid outside the hospital or other controlled environments.

Steelhead
07-15-2008, 02:50 PM
This is copy from an email I have typed up to the L.A District attorney. I have not yet decided to hit the send button, but i"m letting it sit. Your thoughts are appreciated. Also - you can send a communication directly through their website. Whether the D.A. ever sees it is questionable, but it can't hurt. My text below:

Dear Mr. Cooley,

Though I am not a California resident, I am writing to appeal to you to please prosecute and seek serious punishment in the upcoming case of Dr. Christopher Thompson. I am appalled at his behavior and malice towards two injured cyclists, and believe this to be a criminal, dangerous act for which he should be held accountable. I hope to see news of his conviction and a sentencing of jail time in this case. Your strong pursuit of this case could send a message to others that bicyclists do have a legal right to be on public roadways, and this type of malicious behavior won't be tolerated.

Sincerely,

BumbleBeeDave
07-15-2008, 03:02 PM
. . . has anyone seen any further follow-up to the incident in Australia of a month or so ago where a motorist did this same thing to a group of cyclists ncluding an Australian Olympic hopeful?

BBD

Ginger
07-15-2008, 03:15 PM
The reaction of this guy is nothing short of insane.

Or self-medicated.

How much does anyone want to bet that when this goes to court we'll be hearing that the dude is on some prescription or another that affects his temper/judgment. As offensive as it might be to some, perhaps he's taking some PEDs...men get insecure from time to time...and you know...he'll "get help" and everything will be forgiven except a slap on the wrist and a suggestion for treatment.

stormyClouds
07-15-2008, 03:54 PM
.Or self-medicated.

How much does anyone want to bet that when this goes to court we'll be hearing that the dude is on some prescription or another that affects his temper/judgment. As offensive as it might be to some, perhaps he's taking some PEDs...men get insecure from time to time...and you know...he'll "get help" and everything will be forgiven except a slap on the wrist and a suggestion for treatment.

Kevan
07-15-2008, 03:58 PM
that according to him, there was a malfunction with his car which caused the accident.

"Honest your honor, as I was passing these two fine, upstanding, cyclists, who no doubt are pillars in our society, something horrific happened within my car's drivetrain which suddenly and most tragically caused it to go on the fritz, making it totally inoperable. Try as I did, I simply couldn't regain control. It's as if it became possessed by some unworldly evil force. And as for my yelling fit outside the car, it was directed towards the car, not these two wonderful gentlemen. Heavens no! Who could blame these two poor blokes simply trying to enjoy a day's bike ride.

Just so you know, I have asked my lawyer to look into the mechanical failure matter in my car, sparing no expense, and I can promise you...as sure as Nicole Brown's killer is still out there, your honor... I too will be searching high and low for a reason for this most egregious fault in that...that car's design!

Oh...and was it mentioned earlier that I was a dedicated ER doctor who used to save the lives of children and lil' old ladies? I just thought you might want to know that too."

Sandy
07-15-2008, 04:24 PM

Clearly he had a great deal of anger and hostility focused on the cyclists prior to the actual event and he obviously showed little judgement. Doesn't surprise me that he did no at least try to aid/comfort the two cyclists involved. Pathetic on many layers.

I do think that there are a decent number of doctors who don't offer help in an injury/medical emergency situation because of liability issues.

My brother is a physician (retired) and I do not know if he has an up to date license or not. He and his wife were on a plane flight within the last couple of years in which there was a medical emergency. An annoucement was made to see if a physician was on the flight who might help. My brother volunteered to help. He was treated exceptionally rudely by one of the stewards (is that what they are called?) on the plane who thought he knew more than my brother did, which he clearly did not. He wanted to know if my brother was really a physician, wanted proof, and said he didn't even beleive he was a physician. In addition he made some caustic comments to him. My brother was severely limited as to what he could do as the steward would keep interrupting him while he was simply taking a history (patient was taking a lot of medication). In addition, there were conversations between someone on the plane and an office of the airline as to what they would/should allow my brother to do for the patient. He said it was truly remarkable. He thought the patient's treatment allowd by the airline and steward was severely limited and dangerously lacking. He contacted the airlines, a congressman, and the FAA about the issue, thinking it was such a bad situation. I don't know, but I would guess that he will be much less hesitant to help in the future, at least on an airplane.

Sandy

OtayBW
07-15-2008, 04:44 PM
Or self-medicated.

You may be right, but it sounds like it will be hard to get around the 'failure to render assistance at the scene of an emergency' thing. Seems like he stands to lose at least his medical license, if not (hopefully) more....

vaxn8r
07-15-2008, 05:38 PM
..I do think that there are a decent number of doctors who don't offer help in an injury/medical emergency situation because of liability issues....

Sandy
Most if not every state has "Good Samaritan" laws for just that reason. No liability for doctors helping on the scene of an accident.

Many places that have trained personel and processes, do not want anyone else helping. It gives them more liability getting help than sticking to their own protocol.

MarleyMon
07-15-2008, 05:45 PM
...as sure as Nicole Kidman's killer is still out there ..
Please, let's leave the lovely, lively, and living, Ms. Kidman out of this. :beer:

kgreene10
07-15-2008, 05:47 PM
i've already turned the AMA onto the LA Times article.

I think you want the LA City DA Rocky Delgadillo.

WickedWheels
07-15-2008, 06:09 PM
Please, let's leave the lovely, lively, and living, Ms. Kidman out of this. :beer:

LOL

Maybe he knows something we don't ;)

Bud_E
07-15-2008, 06:28 PM
I think you want the LA City DA Rocky Delgadillo.

My impression is that this is being handled by the LA County District Attorney, Steve Cooley. The City Attorney usually handles misdemeanors.

Kevan
07-15-2008, 08:18 PM

OOPS!

Dekonick
07-15-2008, 08:42 PM
Most if not every state has "Good Samaritan" laws for just that reason. No liability for doctors helping on the scene of an accident.

Many places that have trained personel and processes, do not want anyone else helping. It gives them more liability getting help than sticking to their own protocol.

Not only that, but unless you are someone I know - how do I know you are actually a doctor, or if a doctor, not a PhD... and you don't know how we operate. We can rescue and treat a patient faster and better without bystander assistance. That is fact.

And - more often than not - if it is an auto accident, it is not safe for the good samaritan. I know 3 police officers who have been hit by cars in the last three years. Two are dead, one is missing his left leg. I KNOW them - two were good friends (well - at least one still is. You do the math)
Another co-worker was hit by a car assisting a disabled motorist.

My point - if you arent part of the emergency crew, it is dangerous - more dangerous than you think. Where I work, we block off entire lanes of traffic with fire engines to provide a buffer to protect crews working. Every year, our buffers get hit by motorists...Hmmm the police could learn from us eh?

One more point - what can you really do at a car accident? Do you have equipment? Oxygen in your back pocket? Blood?(EPO doesn't count!) A really big can opener? Do you know where airbag cylinders are and how to deactivate them? Pre-tensioning devices? Batteries in hybrid cars? How about HIV? TB? Herpygonasyphalaids? :o

:)

Now - that doctor caused the accident and had no excuse to not help. Fry him. :no:

Sandy
07-15-2008, 09:49 PM

Thanks for that information. I was not aware of that. It makes a great deal of sense.

Sandy

Sandy
07-15-2008, 09:57 PM
Not only that, but unless you are someone I know - how do I know you are actually a doctor, or if a doctor, not a PhD... and you don't know how we operate. We can rescue and treat a patient faster and better without bystander assistance. That is fact.

And - more often than not - if it is an auto accident, it is not safe for the good samaritan. I know 3 police officers who have been hit by cars in the last three years. Two are dead, one is missing his left leg. I KNOW them - two were good friends (well - at least one still is. You do the math)
Another co-worker was hit by a car assisting a disabled motorist.

My point - if you arent part of the emergency crew, it is dangerous - more dangerous than you think. Where I work, we block off entire lanes of traffic with fire engines to provide a buffer to protect crews working. Every year, our buffers get hit by motorists...Hmmm the police could learn from us eh?

One more point - what can you really do at a car accident? Do you have equipment? Oxygen in your back pocket? Blood?(EPO doesn't count!) A really big can opener? Do you know where airbag cylinders are and how to deactivate them? Pre-tensioning devices? Batteries in hybrid cars? How about HIV? TB? Herpygonasyphalaids? :o

:)

Now - that doctor caused the accident and had no excuse to not help. Fry him. :no:

My brother has said that as for as helping in an emergency situation that you resond to, he would not be able to do what you do nearly as well as you do it. You have extensive training, and have much more experience in those situations. You are the professional of choice. When the patient reaches the hospital, that situation changes as the hospital has many more options and equipment that is simply not available to you. On the street, you rule. In the hospital, the proper doctor is the better choice.

Sandy

Dekonick
07-16-2008, 06:57 AM
My brother has said that as for as helping in an emergency situation that you resond to, he would not be able to do what you do nearly as well as you do it. You have extensive training, and have much more experience in those situations. You are the professional of choice. When the patient reaches the hospital, that situation changes as the hospital has many more options and equipment that is simply not available to you. On the street, you rule. In the hospital, the proper doctor is the better choice.

Sandy

Absolutely!

djg
07-16-2008, 07:04 AM
I agree. Not only did he not render aid, but he stood there screaming at the injured cyclists. It's one thing to cut them off and slam on the brakes. Yeah, it's stupid and unacceptable, but I'd venture a guess that most people who would do that kind of thing aren't really trying to kill or maim somebody ("I was just trying to scare 'em."). . . .
Tom

Well, that's probably right. At the same time, it's like "just" trying to scare somebody with a gun, or maybe a warning shot fired over the person's head. Every driver -- not just every MD licensed by some state board to practice medicine, but every 16 year-old kid with a learner's permit -- ought to know, REALLY KNOW, deep down, that intimidating a pedestrian or a cyclist, a human person, with a moving car can very easily result in serious injury or death. The particular result this guy was most hoping for, supposing he had some particular result in mind, is really besides the point.

djg
07-16-2008, 07:12 AM
that according to him, there was a malfunction with his car which caused the accident.

"Honest your honor, as I was passing these two fine, upstanding, cyclists, who no doubt are pillars in our society, something horrific happened within my car's drivetrain which suddenly and most tragically caused it to go on the fritz, making it totally inoperable. Try as I did, I simply couldn't regain control. It's as if it became possessed by some unworldly evil force. And as for my yelling fit outside the car, it was directed towards the car, not these two wonderful gentlemen. Heavens no! Who could blame these two poor blokes simply trying to enjoy a day's bike ride.

Just so you know, I have asked my lawyer to look into the mechanical failure matter in my car, sparing no expense, and I can promise you...as sure as Nicole Brown's killer is still out there, your honor... I too will be searching high and low for a reason for this most egregious fault in that...that car's design!

Oh...and was it mentioned earlier that I was a dedicated ER doctor who used to save the lives of children and lil' old ladies? I just thought you might want to know that too."

Yeah, it's crazy. The car accelerates without warning, then jumps out into the passing lane without warning, then something pokes its way through the lumbar support in the driver's seat, causing me to yell out the window (coincidentally, in the direction of the nice cyclists), then the car jumps back into the right lane, and then the darn brakes lock up. The same thing happened a couple of months ago, on the same road, also in the presence of cyclists. I took it into the shop and they couldn't find anything. It seemed just fine until, tragically, it happened again.

Plus, I was a dedicated ER doctor full-time until I decided that I'd had enough of patients and went into the medical transcription and records business, which allows me to facilitate the healing process administratively, during regular business hours.

A moving story, and not just several moving violations. Might need a little work.

Dekonick
07-16-2008, 08:20 PM
He should call OJ for advice. Perhaps the steeringwheel grip is too small for his hands...