PDA

View Full Version : Random vacation musings..

benb
07-14-2008, 12:43 PM
I just got back from staying in Vermont for the last week. (I'm originally from Vermont, I spend a lot of time there.)

- Had a complete front tire blowout (clincher) for the first time ever. Blew the tire right off the rim. Amazingly, it happened about 10 minutes after I finished my ride. Specialized tube, which had probably been on 3 tires as I've had an unbelivable string of luck in terms of no flats. I figure minimum 5000 miles on that tube, possibly as high as 8000 or so, it failed along the seam on the side that contacts the rim. I ended up replacing the rim tape & tubes on both wheels out of paranoia. Think I will be replacing tubes once a year now if I go a whole year without a flat.

- Hit a squirrel for the first time. Little bugger flashed out and nailed my rear wheel when I was doing about 30mph.. Pretty sure he just slammed the side of the rim, bounced off, and went on his way. The bike didn't really react at all.

- One day I left from Stowe, went over Smuggler's Notch, and then took a ride through the towns north of there.. one of the first times I started freaking out that I was in the middle of nowhere and could run out of food or something. Pretty deserted, but it was all in my head.

- Windy every day.. I went out on the Islands on Lake Champlain 2 days.. it gets so windy out there.

- If the Singolo doesn't represent fixies about to jump the shark the fact that I was seeing them way out in VT says something.. I even saw a bunch with the bandanas tied around the head tube and a BMX pad on the top tube.

- I've never seen so many dump trucks ever as I saw riding on Rt. 100 one day. Seemed like 30% of the vehicles on the road were dump trucks doing 75 in a 50. Pretty unnerving in a strong crosswind.

jabbahop
07-14-2008, 02:27 PM
Summer is BIG truck season here in Vermont. Fixing the massive frost heaves and pot holes. Bringing logs out of the forest. milk trucks. Building supply trucks.

The squirels are easy - watch out for the raccoons, skunks and porkipines though!

Thanks for coming to visit. The more cyclist up here the better.

girlie
07-14-2008, 02:33 PM
- Windy every day.. I went out on the Islands on Lake Champlain 2 days.. it gets so windy out there.

- I've never seen so many dump trucks ever as I saw riding on Rt. 100 one day. Seemed like 30% of the vehicles on the road were dump trucks doing 75 in a 50. Pretty unnerving in a strong crosswind.

What Islands did you visit on Lake Champlain? Grew-up sailing that lake.

Rt. 100 doesn't have much of a shoulder. Vermont used to be the most dangerous/scary place I've ever ridden.......I think it's gotten better over the years.

I love Vermont:)!
girlie