PDA

View Full Version : Water bottle ejection problems

toaster
07-11-2008, 10:54 PM
Just wondering, I use the same bottles and cages as some others yet my bottles have on occasion come out after a hard bump and I'm wondering if it's because I'm at 185 lbs and these other guys are about 20 lbs lighter.

Hmmmm.

Or, I hit more bumps?

Bruce K
07-11-2008, 11:01 PM
I have never lost a bottle with my Arundel dave-o's and I'm heavier than you.

BK

Dude
07-11-2008, 11:02 PM
If they are aluminum, just bend them back into shape. If they are carbon, try heavier water bottles. :)

kgreene10
07-12-2008, 01:00 AM
Another plug for Arundel's. I never would have ponied up the dough for carbon cages if I hadn't been feeling lightheaded and oddly spendthrift that particular day several months ago, but I did and I love 'em. First of all, they look great against my carbon downtube. Second, there is a reassuring thump when the bottle slides fully in and you know it's there to stay. Third, it never comes loose over nasty potholes, chip and seal roads, or RR tracks, and there is never a rattle. I swore to myself when I got into this sport that I wouldn't become one of these...well, exactly the kind of cycling I am becoming. But who cares, I'm having fun.

weiwentg
07-12-2008, 06:50 AM
not sure if it has anything to do with your weight. I'm 125. I have a slightly bent King steel cage, and it nearly ejected a bottle over some damaged road (this stretch was really bad). I should bend it back.

the Arundels do hold bottles really securely if you want to pony up the frns.

avalonracing
07-12-2008, 08:03 AM
Your bottles are too big or your cages aren't good (or bent closed) enough.
It's that simple.

I've been in too many races where bottles are ejected over the first big bumps in the road. It really pisses me off because it can really hurt someone to hit a full bottle spinning around road (or someone can overlap wheels trying to avoid said bottle).

Ask around there are lots of cages where it takes deliberate effort to get the bottle out.

I have raced on broken pavement, over railroad tracks and on dirt roads with my (slightly bent closed) Blackburn Chicane cages and I have NEVER lost a bottle.

Also, don't overfill your bottle, it should have a tiny bit of give, it shouldn't feel like a brick that is going to pop.

dvs cycles
07-12-2008, 08:23 AM
I have never lost a bottle with my Arundel dave-o's and I'm heavier than you.

BK
Dave-O's on my singles and Sideloaders on the tandem. Best cages I've EVER used.

bironi
07-12-2008, 09:45 AM
I have some King ti holders, and they are very tight, but also pricey. :beer:

chuckaw
07-12-2008, 10:28 AM
Flying bottles is a pet peeve of mine. It can be really dangerous in group rides and races so do something about it. The arundel cages are amazing are everyone else has said. I have never lost a bottle and I've raced some courses where dodging water bottles seems to be part of the route design.

wwtsui
07-12-2008, 11:04 AM
Not sure it has anything to do with rider weight -- it's happened to guys I ride with and their weight is no predictor.
fwiw, I switched to King stainless steel cages this season and they seem to work fine -- their "factory bend" seems to hold the bottles tighter than the Elite stainless cages I had before, plus the tubing may be a touch larger in diameter.

Kevan
07-12-2008, 11:09 AM
+1

FlashUNC
07-12-2008, 12:25 PM
Love my Elite Cuissi's, haven't tossed a bottle in 8 years on the same pair.

weaponsgrade
07-12-2008, 12:58 PM
My King Iris cages hold the bottle a lot tighter than my Inox ones. The Iris bend also seem to require that the bottle be put in and removed in a very specific orientation.

ThasFACE
07-12-2008, 02:41 PM
Vote for King Ti. Yes, a little more ching than many others, but they are damn strong and look great. Never had any kind of trouble with them.

little.man
07-12-2008, 09:17 PM
I have profile carbon fiber water bottle cages and have found them to be great. Have used elite aluminum cages before and would have bottles eject every once in a great while. Not so with the profiles. Holds the bottles very securely. My lbs threw then in when I purchased the bike, otherwise would not have them, but from now on, I plan on using them on this and future bikes.

Mark

rwsaunders
07-12-2008, 09:35 PM
King Iris ss cages.....hold like glue and I ride on some bombed out roads.

Samster
07-13-2008, 04:59 AM

FMS_rider
07-13-2008, 07:59 AM
There is no way that a bottle can be ejected from an Iris King Cage. Last year's version of this cage developed a reputation for breaking at the welds; this year's has been modified and appears to be bomb proof.

When new, mine were too tight to readily remove and replace standard bottles. I applied two large adjustable wrenches (one on each side at the same time) to the straight sections just above the upper welds to widen them a bit (increase the angle above the welds)--it took a few minutes of trial and error to get them just right. The stainless is so stiff you cannot make that adjustment with your hands (the stiffness along with the shape is why they do not eject bottles).

A trick I discovered that makes a huge difference with these cages is to give the bottle a slight twist when removing and replacing (as if screwing in and out). That trick enables me to use a tall bottle in the seat tube cage of my old-guy Legend that has an 8 deg TT slope --I can readily insert it that way at an angle from the side.

Another nice feature is that the finish is a good match to Ti --I'm not sure I could tell the difference. If Andrew made a Ti version of the Iris cage I would probably buy a pair for my Legend because I am not very bright, but I love the look of the stainless Iris.

Lew

Ahneida Ride
07-13-2008, 02:56 PM

Amen . ;)

Ahneida Ride
07-13-2008, 05:57 PM
One more time ....

King Ti solves premature ejection :p

My King Ti's hold Velo-Orange Stainless bottles tenaciously.

The Ti likes to bend and flex. Steel and Carbone are less amenable to
systematic stress.

chuckroast
07-13-2008, 07:18 PM
Thank God Anieda is back. I've been reading this thread the last couple of days and giggling at the title wondering if anyone was gonna make the joke. I was too chicken to.

Pete Serotta
07-13-2008, 07:22 PM
and they keep the red mellow :beer: Just had a glass in thanks for Ahneida return :beer:

One more time ....

King Ti solves premature ejection :p

My King Ti's hold Velo-Orange Stainless bottles tenaciously.

The Ti likes to bend and flex. Steel and Carbone are less amenable to
systematic stress.

vaxn8r
07-14-2008, 12:46 AM
king ti hold a lot more firmly than King stainless. Not even close.

Arundels also give a non-ejectable grip.

FMS_rider
07-14-2008, 02:41 AM
king ti hold a lot more firmly than King stainless. Not even close.

Arundels also give a non-ejectable grip. Two different kinds of stainless King cages are being discussed and I am not sure that everyone is aware of that. From left to right in the attached image are the standard stainless King Cage, the standard Ti King Cage, and the Iris stainless King Cage. Andrew makes all 3 cages by hand; he does not make a Ti version of his Iris cage.

Lew

dekindy
07-14-2008, 03:01 AM
Vote for King Ti. Yes, a little more ching than many others, but they are damn strong and look great. Never had any kind of trouble with them.

+1. They also don't mark your bottles.

Are the bottles ejecting all the time, only empty, or only full? What size bottles? I had an empty 16 ounce bottle eject from my Schwinn Paramount cages once.

FMS_rider
07-14-2008, 07:45 AM
I just noticed that the image I posted above was last years King Iris cage (still on kingcage.com). Here is this years model --a photo I just took of one on my Legend. I also should add that they do not mark bottles like the stainless cages I have used previously.

Steelhead
07-14-2008, 07:59 AM
One more for Blackburn Chicane's. Sub $20 each, stainless steel that can be gently "closed" a bit, won't blacken your bottles and weigh in under 55 gr. Take the difference you would have spent on carbon or ti cages and outfit yourself with enough tubes to last the year.

dekindy
07-14-2008, 09:33 AM
Here is mine with King stainless steel.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=42168&page=4&pp=15

See #58.

mike p
07-14-2008, 06:07 PM
There is no way that a bottle can be ejected from an Iris King Cage. Last year's version of this cage developed a reputation for breaking at the welds; this year's has been modified and appears to be bomb proof.

When new, mine were too tight to readily remove and replace standard bottles. I applied two large adjustable wrenches (one on each side at the same time) to the straight sections just above the upper welds to widen them a bit (increase the angle above the welds)--it took a few minutes of trial and error to get them just right. The stainless is so stiff you cannot make that adjustment with your hands (the stiffness along with the shape is why they do not eject bottles).

A trick I discovered that makes a huge difference with these cages is to give the bottle a slight twist when removing and replacing (as if screwing in and out). That trick enables me to use a tall bottle in the seat tube cage of my old-guy Legend that has an 8 deg TT slope --I can readily insert it that way at an angle from the side.

Another nice feature is that the finish is a good match to Ti --I'm not sure I could tell the difference. If Andrew made a Ti version of the Iris cage I would probably buy a pair for my Legend because I am not very bright, but I love the look of the stainless Iris.

Lew

Install cage, then install water bottle, game over.

Mike

FMS_rider
07-14-2008, 06:42 PM

MikeSo you think I am just a wee bit obsessed with the aesthetics? :crap:

Lew

fierte_poser
07-14-2008, 07:40 PM
One more for Blackburn Chicane's. Sub $20 each, stainless steel that can be gently "closed" a bit, won't blacken your bottles and weigh in under 55 gr. Take the difference you would have spent on carbon or ti cages and outfit yourself with enough tubes to last the year.

+1

Dealer threw them in when I bought my Fierte. Never had reason to consider 'upgrading' to something else.

mike p
07-14-2008, 08:02 PM
So you think I am just a wee bit obsessed with the aesthetics? :crap:

Lew

Not at all, carbon dosen't go with all types of bikes. If you've got a classic that needs a king type cage then thats what you need. For any modern bike the arundel's are hard to beat. No ejection, no breakage, bottle pulls free and goes back in easy and they look good. They would look great on that serotta Ti bike also. :beer:

Mike

FMS_rider
07-16-2008, 07:45 AM

MikeI just have to say that I laughed my @ss off when I read this, and 2 days later it is still making me laugh (to anyone who is puzzled, have a look back at my post that Mike was responding to). There is nothing quite as therapeutic as laughing at one's self!

Lew