PDA

View Full Version : O.T., things to do on Kaua'i, Hawaii

chuckroast
07-11-2008, 07:52 PM
OK, that is a bit of a joke, I know there's plenty to do in paradise.

My wife and I are going next month for our anniversary and staying at a resort near Lihu'e. My real question: are there any recommendations from the forum regarding restaurants or attractions or good places for snorkeling, etc.

We are very proficient at sitting on the beach or poolside but I'm thinking we want to get out and see things also.

Thanks to all.

chuckred
07-11-2008, 07:58 PM
I'll give you more info and post some pics later..... a bit short on time right now...

Must do's:

Hike Kalalau
Hike Nu'alolo trail to Awa-awapuhi
(not if you're afraid of heights).

Eat at the Beach House Restaurant AT SUNSET...

Buy "the Ultimate Kauai Guidebook" by Andrew Doughty.

Fixed
07-11-2008, 08:07 PM
surf ski body surf
swim and love your mrs
cheers

kgreene10
07-11-2008, 08:08 PM
We just returned from a week on Kauai and loved it. Here are some activities we liked:

Hiking the Kalalau trail was fantastic. If you want to go past the two mile mark and get to an area with fewer people, you will need to get a permit for free at the state office building in Lihue. It seems like unnecessary bureaucratic crap to me, but it's a rule. The trail was well worth it, but a somewhat challenging up and down hike -- and I say this as a seasoned Sierra backpacker.

The best snorkeling we found was at Ke'e beach. It's at the end of the road on the North shore. Awesome. We swam with giant sea turtles. Other areas were windier or more built up, so Ke'e was perfect for us. One word of caution -- it's shallow in spots and I made the mistake of holding onto the reef at times to avoid getting slammed by swells. Turns out that I got a staph infection the day we returned home! Nastiness you do not want.

We ate at several places in Hanalei. They are all pricey of course. Hanalei Gourmet was okay, the stand-like places across the street were terrible, and the tapas place next to Hanalei Gourmet that looks too trendy for its surroundings was in fact wonderful. It cost a little more, but not much considering it's all expensive.

I did try to rent a road bike from the shop on the island but they don't take reservations and my size was out all week. Battling the wind wouldn't have been that much fun and I think the other activities on the island -- dare I say-- are more worthwhile.

maunahaole
07-11-2008, 09:15 PM
Go see Waimea canyon. It is way out there so start early. Lots of day hikes at the upper reaches, where the air is a good deal cooler than at sea level. There's a brewpub out that way too, if you are feeling parched. Na Pali coast, by all means.

Hamura saimin in Lihue if you want some local style food. It is noodle soup and it is awesome. The pie is supposed to be pretty good too.

kgreene10
07-11-2008, 09:29 PM
Oh yeah, Hamura Siamin. We went there too. I liked the cafeteria style ambiance and the devoted customers who told us about the history of the place. I don't mean to be heretical and perhaps it's just my relative inexperience with ramen preparations, but I wasn't wild about the food. I would go back just for the scene though.

CNY rider
07-12-2008, 06:28 AM
My wife and I spent 5 days kayaking the NaPali coast on our honeymoon.
I can't even come up with words to describe how spectacular it was.

There was a whole long permitting process I went through way before the trip so it's probably not realistic this close to yours, but I would still see if you could rent some kayaks for a day trip.

The folks we rented from were called Kayak Kauai I believe.

Enjoy!

chuckroast
07-12-2008, 09:44 AM
Hey thanks everyone, this is great.

bironi
07-12-2008, 10:06 AM
I have been to the island a few times. Try Ono's family restaurant in Kapaa, great food and friendly service. I always rented a mountain bike from Kauai Cycles, nice owner. I rode Waimea Canyon, the highlands around Kapaa, and to the North Shore, with a little offroad riding along the coast. It's a pretty quiet island, enjoy. :beer:

Spinner
07-12-2008, 11:46 AM
... at poipu beach, on the south side of the island. terrific ceviche and great views.

chuckred
07-13-2008, 08:18 AM
Which resort?

You'll be centrally located to get to both sides of the island...

Gillen's Bay Beach - Maha'ulepu Beach. http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee291/chuckred/GillensBayMahaulepuBeaches.jpg

Kawailoa Bay - also at Mahaulepu Beacheshttp://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee291/chuckred/KawailoaBay2.jpg

Sunset from Beach House Restaurant - very romantic (but pricy and popular, make your reservations before you go).http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee291/chuckred/KauaiJan08Sunsetadjusted1.jpg

View from Lolo Vista (a full day hike, not for the faint of heart, from Koke'e, Nu'alolo - Nu'alolo Cliff - Awa'awaphui trails). Start early, lots of water. Also, it's much cooler up there than at sea level.http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee291/chuckred/LoloVistaView3.jpg

Napali cliffs - Kalalau Trail to Hanakapi'ai Beachhttp://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee291/chuckred/NapaliCoast5.jpg

Hanakapi'ai Falls
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee291/chuckred/Hanakpiaifalls.jpg

It's "only" a four mile round trip hike. But trust me when I say you will underestimate how hard of a four mile hike it is. I used a hiking pole for the first time on this hike, and it really helped! It's very slippery (although you'll be there in dry season, so it probably won't be as muddy)...

johnmdesigner
07-13-2008, 02:07 PM
Take one of those helicopter rides in the little red ones with the doors removed.
We had the "pilot from 'Nam" several years ago and he loved to fly sideways.
Also, try the hamburger stand (it's in the guidebook) - super!
Secret Beach is wonderful!
Enjoy
John

cheeser
07-13-2008, 07:58 PM
My wife and I were on Kauai in April for a week. We rented a private cottage in Anahola (on the Eastern side of the island just North of Kapa'a).

Anyhow, as previously suggested definitely buy yourself a copy of the "Ultimate Kauai Guidebook" - it's a fantastic reference.

Things you should see/do:

1. Waimea Canyon and the Alaka'i Swamp Trail (very muddy and slippery, but an interesting hike if you're up for it)
2. Kuilau Ridge Trail - an easy hike and beautiful scenery
3. Napali Coast tour on the Napali Catamaran out of Hanalei. Take the sightseeing and snorkeling trip - we saw sea turtles and a pair of humpback whales (although the whales are probably not there this time of year).
4. Queens Bath in Princeville (if the ocean is rough it's sorta hard to find)
5. Kilauea Point Lighthouse (in a national wildlife refuge - lots of cool birds)
6. Kayak the Wailua River. We did a half day trip to the "secret" waterfall through an outfit called Wailua Kayak Adventures in Kapa'a. Our guide was a very nice and interesting character named Cole. A fun trip.

We stuck with simple, local restaurants while on the island. Our favorite was the Kilauea Bakery & Pau Hana Pizza in Kilauea for some awesome pizza. We also ate a couple of times at a little hole in the wall place in Kapa'a called the Mermaid Cafe - they had lots of seafood wraps and it was popular with the locals. There was also a very good bakery in Kapa'a called "Country Moon Rising Bakery" - they had great cookies and breads. It's hard to find so you'll probably have to ask.

Skip the luau unless you like the "touristy" stuff. This is the only thing that we wouldn't do again.

It's a beatiful place. Enjoy. Aloha!

chuckroast
07-13-2008, 08:32 PM
As I expected, the forum comes through again. I knew there was going to be great knowledge and experience from this group. Thanks to all and I'll report back next month on our trip, thanks.

PS, I am expecting to take a week off the bike. Maybe a little spin action down in the resort fitness center but that's it.

Jeff N.
07-13-2008, 09:29 PM
OK, that is a bit of a joke, I know there's plenty to do in paradise.

My wife and I are going next month for our anniversary and staying at a resort near Lihu'e. My real question: are there any recommendations from the forum regarding restaurants or attractions or good places for snorkeling, etc.

We are very proficient at sitting on the beach or poolside but I'm thinking we want to get out and see things also.

Thanks to all.We're there too! Kihuna Plantation! Aug. 6-13. Personally, I'm going to veg and maybe drink a hundred or so beers( on the beach, like the Corona commercials!). Never been, but I heard there's a Costco to load up on supplies. We'll have a condo. :p Jeff N.

vaxn8r
07-14-2008, 12:44 AM
Costco and Walmart!

Get the Ultimate Kauai Guidebook. It literally tells you everything you need to know. Most posters have touched on the highlights.

I would not rent or bring a bike. Narrow two lane roads. Do something else on this vacation with your wife. Body surf, skin dive, hike, swim, play tennis, golf, jump off a waterfall or tree swing...you won't regret skipping the bike.

Ozz
07-14-2008, 10:57 AM
...Get the Ultimate Kauai Guidebook. It literally tells you everything you need to know. Most posters have touched on the highlights....
+1

Hike the trail at the north end of the Island..Haena State Park....drive till the road ends. Eat lunch at the "Tropical Taco" on the way back home...location is in the book. I think it is between Princeville and Haena....it's in the book.

Get some Shave Ice on the way back from the Waimea Canyon...

There is a wonderful restaurant right on the point down at Poipu....the name escapes me, but it has great food and a view to die for. EDIT: Just re-read "chuckred" above - the restaurant is Beach House Restaurant (http://www.the-beach-house.com/) - highly recommended!

The Helicoptor tour is pretty fun, but pricey. We went on Ohana Helicoptor Tours.

Cool place....my favorite of the islands. Very laid back

FMS_rider
07-14-2008, 11:55 AM
I haven't been there in almost 30 years, but I want to enthusiastically 3rd or 4th the recommendation by chuckred and others to hike into the Kalalau Valley --it's an amazing place. I would also highly recommend going to the world famous surfing beach on the North shore --even though I don't surf I had an amazing experience watching the pros (but I got lucky with regard to the optimal season and day). You also HAVE to go snorkeling --it's an other-worldly experience there.

The island was amazingly uninhabited when I was there --I hear from a friend that that is no longer the case, although she and her husband have been there several times over the past few years and absolutely love it.

Lew

maunahaole
07-14-2008, 04:43 PM
I got married last year at Kiahuna Plantation in Poipu. If you are staying there, the Plantation Garden restaurant is really nice. We hosted our reception there and the staff and food was top notch. Good bar too.

Costco and Walmart are both in Lihue, which will be a bit of a drive if you are not right in town. If you need to restock, don't go during commute drive time, as the traffic moves slowly - IIRC it is all two lane road and island folks drive slowly, even more so on Kauai and Maui. Both are very easy to find and right off of main roads.

erikbrooks
07-14-2008, 05:43 PM
when you park the car to hike at Kalalau - there are some vines growing there that hang down to the ground, or close to it. IIRC, they were about 30 feet long. I couldn't resist trying a Tarzan swing, and sure enough, they were strong enough to support my 175#. Of course, you shouldn't try that - :no: or at least don't mention I suggested it.

Also, I'm not much of a golfer, and I know that there are really expensive golf courses there, but there was also a 9 hole municiple course that was really affordable. I paid $50 for a family of 3. That included greens fees, club rentals, and a cart that I didn't want, but golf courses are funny about that. Pretty good course, and a heck of a good deal. My info is 10 years old, may be obsolete by now, but worth a check if golf has any appeal to you.

chuckroast
08-24-2008, 04:49 PM
Hi, I'm postscripting this thread because we just got back today (15 hours gate to gate thank you very much) and I wanted to add a couple of more items in case anyone ever searches this topic again.

We had a great time and thanks to all for the great suggestions. We did many of the things noted and have great memories from the trip. Snorkled, went to the canyon, boat trip up Napoli coast, etc. I am going to add two restaurants and two attractions though that I didn't see on the thread but that we enjoyed.

The restaurants are both in Lihue and seemed to cater to locals. Oki's on Rice St had great saimin (sp?) bowls. The Garden Isle BBQ also on Rice was a hole in the wall but quick and cheap and all locals in the room when we ate there. There's something about the asian BBQ style that I found really good there.

We loved the National Tropical Botanical Garden at Poipu Beach (McBryde Garden). Pay to take the self guided tour, it's a really fascinating history lesson on what's native and what was introduced.

And finally, we did an ATV tour on the Kipu ranch. Good local history, swimming opportunities, fun time.

PS, there was a fire on the Kalaulau trail last week that forced evacuation. We wouldn't have been able to hike it anyway, it would have been way over our heads.

Mahalo again to all.

chuckred
08-24-2008, 07:29 PM
too bad about the fire on Kalalau trail though...

I'm usually there int he winter and it's so wet that a fire seems impossible to comprehend!

steelrider
08-25-2008, 05:21 PM
Surf Hanalei Bay.

Jeff N.
08-25-2008, 10:24 PM
Just got back from a week at Kiahuna Plantation/ Poipu Beach. One of the very best vacations I've ever had. We're definitely going back to Kauai. Hard to beat. Jeff N.