PDA

View Full Version : Are commuting bikes deductible?

rcnute
07-11-2008, 02:33 PM
All? :banana: In part? :beer: Did someone try this and get dinged? :eek:

DukeHorn
07-11-2008, 02:46 PM
Doubt it, unless you're using the bike to go to your clients' offices.

Otherwise, we'd all be taking deductions on mileage just driving to and from work :D.

My limited 2 cents.

johnnymossville
07-11-2008, 02:50 PM
I think there are plans in some cities/states/countries to give tax deductions to commuters, but that's all I've heard. Kinda makes sense though doesn't it? But then how do you enforce the whole thing?

dwightskin
07-11-2008, 04:11 PM
A college roommate deducted the entire cost of the bike he used for his Summer Bike Messenger job.

Seemed kind of fishy to me . . . .

rcnute
07-11-2008, 05:35 PM
I'd be amazed if it was. But wanted to make sure I wasn't paying any more to the feds than I had to. :crap:

slowgoing
07-11-2008, 05:37 PM
Plus, if you sold it, you'd have to take the proceeds back into income, small as they may be for a used bike. But many people forget about that part.

false_Aest
07-11-2008, 05:46 PM
I think it depends on what kind've job.

As a self-employed artist/freelancer I'm rather sure I can deduct it with creative wording.

I doubt you could if you worked at a grocery store.

T

michael white
07-11-2008, 06:15 PM
I asked my tax man this year about this, and he said no. I've been bike commuting to my university here for thirteen years or so. But I always take the car deductions. I figure it's one of those strange double standards of our culture.

SadieKate
07-11-2008, 06:23 PM
Whether a bike is deductible would probably depend on whether it is business related expense, wouldn't it? Your accountant probably deducts the cost of his work computer, etc.. Isn't a bike messenger's bike the same thing? A commuter bike is not a work-related tool in the same manner.