PDA

View Full Version : Wheelset for a fat guy

dogdriver
07-11-2008, 01:51 PM
Hey all -- I'm building a new-to-me road bike bought mostly from forumites and need to decide on a wheelset. Its a Ti Legend with Shimano D/A and some other stuff I had hanging around in the garage. I'm 190ish pounds, don't race, and ride mostly in the mountains of Utah 100-200 miles/week. At my weight, I value stiffness and durability over light weight or aero.

Any wheelset suggestions from the gurus? Buehler? Buehler?

Cheers, Chris

CPP
07-11-2008, 01:59 PM
Maybe you aren't fat, just heavy set!

dogdriver
07-11-2008, 02:05 PM
In water, I sink like a junk bond...

Bruce K
07-11-2008, 02:06 PM
DD;

I'm 210 and shrinking and ride 150 miles per week.

One of my favorite wheelsets are my HED Bastognes in a "Stallion" build (additional spokes).

They are light, fast, very durable (I've used them in cross races), and moderately aero (similar to Zipp 303).

They are also $795 MSRP plus whatever the added cost is for the "Stallion" build which to me is a pretty reasonable price.

BK

Lifelover
07-11-2008, 02:07 PM
I'm 250+ and have had luck with most any deep profile areo rim. However, having more spokes will allow you to ride home if one breaks.

Easton Circuits have been my favorite.

stormyClouds
07-11-2008, 02:12 PM
The new Reynolds Assaults are nice, if you are looking to go the carbon/aero route. They can be had for a hair over $1k new, great looking, and seem to be super durable (20/24 spoke count).
I just bought a pair and have slammed them around a bit on my cross bike with no ill consequences so far.
Btw, not sure if it matters to you, but they only come as clinchers (as far as I know) with a carbon braking surface.

Clydesdale
07-11-2008, 02:36 PM
A friend let me borrow a set recently and I have been happy with them, in fact I love them. A little on the heavy side, but so am I. They spin smooth, don't need special pads as the rim is al, seem plenty stiff for me and I have 40lbs on you, and they ride nice. They seem to hold their momentum very well and are great cruising wheels. They wander a touch in the wind but not bad. If you are patient you will find a good deal (a set went yesterday on eBay for 280 and had pretty low mileage.)

I have also had good luck with Ksyriums though some big guys don't like them, and I had a set of king hubs on some Ritchey rims that were fantastic if you like the idea of a more "normal" type of wheel.

djg21
07-11-2008, 02:58 PM
Hey all -- I'm building a new-to-me road bike bought mostly from forumites and need to decide on a wheelset. Its a Ti Legend with Shimano D/A and some other stuff I had hanging around in the garage. I'm 190ish pounds, don't race, and ride mostly in the mountains of Utah 100-200 miles/week. At my weight, I value stiffness and durability over light weight or aero.

Any wheelset suggestions from the gurus? Buehler? Buehler?

Cheers, Chris

Get a regular 32 hole hubset, and build it up in a 3x pattern, with 14-15 double-butted spokes and brass nipples (al least on rear drive side if not throughout). You'll be fine!

learlove
07-11-2008, 06:38 PM
hands down - velocity deep vees (36h I'd recomment but you can get by with 32h) and 3 cross on campy or shim hub of your choise. At weights above 250 i would also rec 700X25c or 700X28c for better weight/in^2 distribution.

Also the mavic aero cxp or cpx 33's work just a like the deep vees.

Also for MTB go velocity cliff hanger rims at 36h and you'll never have to touch them.

years ago as a junior and cat 3 road and track i raced at 165 lbs. Then I went to college put down the bike, joined a fraternity, started playing rugby and did a Greg Lemond in retirement (sans the media comments) weight gain program if you know what I mean. A few years back I picked up the bike again at 285 lbs so I have exp. with strong wheels. I did the velocity deep vees 36h 3 cross and they are a true today as the day they were built.

I had a Kona Jake the snake cross bike that came with mavic ma3 rims at 32h and every 200 miles or so would pop a spoke. But like I said - not so with the 36h deep vees. I also have the velocity tubular rim that is equivalent to the deep vee in 36h with centaur hubs on a steel viner and they are just as tuff as the deep vees.

the bianchi in post #6 in the below link has the wheels I'm talking about (36h deep vee). At the time that pic was taken thoes wheels were about a year old and had say 900 miles. Today thoes same wheels are on my Merckx leader and still going strong.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=27794

here is a pic of the viner with the 36h deep vee equiv tubulars.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=39073

hope it helps

vqdriver
07-11-2008, 08:29 PM
Get a regular 32 hole hubset, and build it up in a 3x pattern, with 14-15 double-butted spokes and brass nipples (al least on rear drive side if not throughout). You'll be fine!

+1

i'm 225 and have used ksyrium and shimano wheels without any problems. i'm currently onto campy eurus wheels.

bastognes in stallion build with ceramics would have been my set of choice if i had the funds.
but if you're on a budget like me, a good set of 32 spoked wheels will last forever. and there's something to running less tension in the spokes. for someone like me who has so much weight on the saddle, you really do feel every bump in the road.

djg21 has a fine suggestion to go with a traditional wheelset, tho his recommendation is a bit overkill. my previous set was 32 holed mavic hubs to open4cd rims, 3x with radial up front, butted spokes and allow nipples throughout. never busted a spoke and held true like a champ. other wheels have come and gone, but they remain my standard for toughness. retired them after 15 years when i made my campy conversion two weeks ago. i may even bring em back for my commuter bike even tho the originally anodized sidewalls look now look like they were machined. :D

Fixed
07-11-2008, 08:42 PM
old sprinters fav ..
cheers

paczki
07-11-2008, 09:06 PM
I weigh 200. DT Swiss rims and White hubs are the best workaday wheelset I've ridden.

mflaherty37
07-11-2008, 09:59 PM
I'm 250+ and have had luck with most any deep profile areo rim. However, having more spokes will allow you to ride home if one breaks.

Easton Circuits have been my favorite.

+1 to this. A deep rim will ride stiffer but is stronger. Don't cheat the spoke count, a few more won't slow you down a tad. Use a good wheel builder for even tension and stress relieving the spokes. And skews my negativity but I don't like aluminum for a spoke, it fatique properties suck.

Dekonick
07-11-2008, 10:15 PM

+1

Kirk007
07-11-2008, 11:38 PM
Kinlin 27s laced to WI hubs 28 front, 32 rear Sapim race, leader or x-ray spokes. 1490-1510 grams; high spoke count, semi-aero; replacement spokes at any shop; true yourself; $575-600 or so. Lighter than Neutrons, most Mavics, about the same as Rolf Vigor RS.

Call Ergott or Ligero Wheelworks. They'll hook 'ya up.

Greg

dogdriver
07-12-2008, 12:28 PM
Thanks, guys.