PDA

View Full Version : Manuel Beltran (Liquigas) has tested positive for blood booster erythropoietin (EPO)

jmc22
07-11-2008, 12:56 PM
L'Equipe reports that Liquigas' Manuel Beltran tested positive after Saturday's stage.

By Agence France Presse
Posted Jul. 11, 2008
Spain's Manuel Beltran (Liquigas) has tested positive for blood booster erythropoietin (EPO), the L'Equipe sports daily claimed on its Web site on Friday.

The report said Beltran's A sample failed the test at the first stage of the Tour de France last Saturday, when he finished 25th.

Race officials could not immediately confirm the test results. A team official told VeloNews the team was waiting for confirmation from race officials before commenting on the article.

Beltran was in 26th place after Friday's stage, 3:20 behind the race leader.

paczki
07-11-2008, 12:59 PM
L'Equipe reports that Liquigas' Manuel Beltran tested positive after Saturday's stage.

By Agence France Presse
Posted Jul. 11, 2008
Spain's Manuel Beltran (Liquigas) has tested positive for blood booster erythropoietin (EPO), the L'Equipe sports daily claimed on its Web site on Friday.

The report said Beltran's A sample failed the test at the first stage of the Tour de France last Saturday, when he finished 25th.

Race officials could not immediately confirm the test results. A team official told VeloNews the team was waiting for confirmation from race officials before commenting on the article.

Beltran was in 26th place after Friday's stage, 3:20 behind the race leader.

It seems that as soon as they leave Discovery they just can't get it right anymore. I assume Liquigas will be asked to leave?

bike <3'er
07-11-2008, 12:59 PM
Take back the tour, :rolleyes:

Ray
07-11-2008, 01:05 PM
A Tour rider caught doping. Shocker.

-Ray

Gothard
07-11-2008, 01:07 PM
First off, it took what, 6 days?

Second, as usual the rights of the rider are preserved to the letter....

Bruce K
07-11-2008, 01:12 PM
So, the French Sports Federation and the organizers of the Tour can't do it any better without the ProTour?

There's an even bigger surprise. :rolleyes:

BK

jdoiv
07-11-2008, 01:14 PM
Yeah, what pisses me off is the paper is the one to release the story outing the rider. Has the B Sample been tested and proven to be a positive? What ever happened to innocent until proven guilty? Why can't they just let it run the course it is supposed to run? First positive, then test the B sample. If it's positive, kick him out and ban him. Heck, kick the whole team out. But stop releasing this info without the B sample being tested first. Whoever leaks this crap to the press should be fired. /rant

bike <3'er
07-11-2008, 01:17 PM
Yeah, what pisses me off is the paper is the one to release the story outing the rider. Has the B Sample been tested and proven to be a positive? What ever happened to innocent until proven guilty? Why can't they just let it run the course it is supposed to run? First positive, then test the B sample. If it's positive, kick him out and ban him. Heck, kick the whole team out. But stop releasing this info without the B sample being tested first. Whoever leaks this crap to the press should be fired. /rant

The press invented this tour.

http://72.14.205.104/search?q=cache:HJe7F54KQvgJ:en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L%27%C3%89quipe+tour+de+france+l%27equipe&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=3&gl=us

There was an EPO race and a bike ride broke out.

johnnymossville
07-11-2008, 01:21 PM

Innocent until proven guilty is an American thing I guess. My ancestors left Europe over things like this. I'm totally against dopers, but the protocol they use in cycling is really bad for the rider, and the sport.

caleb
07-11-2008, 01:32 PM

Irresponsible of L'Equipe for reporting this until the B Sample is tested.

Not that I think it won't be positive, but the process is worth something.

jdoiv
07-11-2008, 01:47 PM
The press invented this tour.

http://72.14.205.104/search?q=cache:HJe7F54KQvgJ:en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L%27%C3%89quipe+tour+de+france+l%27equipe&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=3&gl=us

There was an EPO race and a bike ride broke out.

Yeah, I know the history, but it is now run by ASO. Just the same, it's shoddy journalism as the B sample hasn't been tested. That's like going to war on bad intel. Oops, guess we've seen that before too....

CPP
07-11-2008, 01:57 PM
What Bull****. Police raids because of Yellow Journalism.

But, the riders are like sheep.
If any of our bosses said that they wanted to know exactly what we were doing on the weekend , I mean exactly to the hour, we would call it total .....
But that's what the rider's do.
Jens Voigt said that he can't go to the Zoo with his kids without declaring it.
What bull****.

Waldo
07-11-2008, 02:05 PM
Bruyneel and Lance paid Beltran to take EPO to sabotage the Tour.
:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

paczki
07-11-2008, 02:08 PM
Bruyneel and Lance paid Beltran to take EPO to sabotage the Tour.
:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Good one! I like this.

Ti-Boy
07-11-2008, 02:18 PM
The target is still LA. They will go after all who rode with him; then offer a deal to flip on LA. Just a thought.

johnnymossville
07-11-2008, 02:28 PM
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e194/xnodesign/othertour.jpg

...if the wwe or nfl ran cycling they'd show up looking like this. no testing within a thousand miles.

GuyGadois
07-11-2008, 02:38 PM
I know I will get BBQ'd for this but Beltran getting caught is just a bit more evidence to me that Lance was not riding clean. I hate to see our sport be made a mockery of and this latest development is another nail in the coffin to teams looking for sponsors.

-GG

GregL
07-11-2008, 02:42 PM
Preface: I am not a big Armstrong fan and I don't have any particular axe to grind...

Everytime an ex-Postal or Discovery rider tests positive for banned substances, many pundits ascribe the result to their former employer. Was there likely doping on Postal/Disco? Of course. But is the practice pervasive throughout the sport? Undoubtedly. The whole Postal/Disco bashing thing is just getting old to me.

Liquigas has a rather checkered doping history of its own. The team hired Di Luca in '05 despite his previous history of brushes with the doping authorities. They recently signed Basso to race when his suspension is up. Likewise, many of the other ex-Postal/Disco dopers went to teams/team managers with doping histories.

My point? None in particular, I guess. I hope that continued improvements in anti-doping policy and procedure make for a cleaner sport. Note that I did not say 100% clean, as no professional sport can be. But I hope that the test of time will see diminishing of the Postal/Disco bashing and some appreciation for the positive impacts they brought to the sport.

Regards,
Greg

MartyE
07-11-2008, 02:52 PM
From the Cycling News story :
'The French newspaper L'Equipe also reported that Beltran was one of ten riders found by the AFLD to have abnormal blood values in the days prior to the Tour. '
So, L'Equipe has the names of the cyclists already, does this really shock anyone?

harlond
07-11-2008, 02:56 PM
I know I will get BBQ'd for this but Beltran getting caught is just a bit more evidence to me that Lance was not riding clean. I hate to see our sport be made a mockery of and this latest development is another nail in the coffin to teams looking for sponsors.

-GGTwo things. One, why would anyone really need more evidence that LA was not riding clean (and who cares)? Two, why would the fact that a rider tests positive two years after leaving Discovery have anything to do with LA? LA have secret influence on Liquigas?

OTOH, does the fact that Boonen tested positive for cocaine mean LA is doing coke now, too? After all, he does hang out with the Hollywood types now.

paczki
07-11-2008, 02:59 PM
OTOH, does the fact that Boonen tested positive for cocaine mean LA is doing coke now, too? After all, he does hang out with the Hollywood types now.

I think it does actually. I think you've stumbled onto something. :banana:

Waldo
07-11-2008, 03:54 PM
Beltran is 37, so a 2 or 4-year long suspension means nothing. He'll just retire. And Liquigas? They'll simply bring in Basso to take Beltran's place.

bike <3'er
07-11-2008, 04:04 PM
Lance might have herpes. I'm willing to wager on it. ;)

A.L.Breguet
07-11-2008, 04:10 PM
The fact that a rider would still use EPO after all this hoohaw indicates to me that the EPO testing is B.S. My logic is as follows. I think lots of guys are taking it and still testing negative. Some guys don't do it quite right, and manage to get caught. Or, the lucky ones can afford something that is undetectable, while others have to take the common route(EPO), and risk detection.
One cynic's view.

paczki
07-11-2008, 04:13 PM
The fact that a rider would still use EPO after all this hoohaw indicates to me that the EPO testing is B.S. My logic is as follows. I think lots of guys are taking it and still testing negative. Some guys don't do it quite right, and manage to get caught. Or, the lucky ones can afford something that is undetectable, while others have to take the common route(EPO), and risk detection.
One cynic's view.

I agree, and post more A.L.!

Is HGH still fully undetectable or can you figure it out with blood values?

palincss
07-11-2008, 04:13 PM
Are we sick of this crap yet? I certainly am. :crap:

palincss
07-11-2008, 04:17 PM
One cynic's view.

Then I think it's time for something Draconian. Anytime somebody gets caught, shut the whole sport down -- all pro racing -- for long enough for every single participant to get too old to participate. 10 or 20 years ought to do it. It'd be refreshing to have 10 or 20 years without this crap.

bike <3'er
07-11-2008, 04:18 PM

Good point. However, cheating in sports will always take place. I will say and I hope many agree...it doesn't matter if this cat Beltran tests positive. I will watch le Tour every day, I will root for a couple of riders, but mainly sit back and watch the best men stand on the podium. I certainly hope the winners are clean, but catching a cheater is positive, it displays the system works.

Vive le Tour. Believe what you want. Let it give you incentive to ride your bike.

Vive your bike.

A.L.Breguet
07-11-2008, 04:18 PM
I'm mostly sick of the 2-3 people at work asking me if any dopers have been caught in the tour, yet.
Most have no interest in the racing. :butt:

paczki
07-11-2008, 04:21 PM
Vive le Tour. Believe what you want. Let it give you incentive to ride your bike.

Vive your bike.

+1

Erik.Lazdins
07-11-2008, 04:31 PM
So if a Liquigas rider's B sample confirms the A sample's positive for EPO - Will Liquigas (pron: Leaky Gas if your Phil) be asked to leave the tour?

The whole team out for one rider then?

bike <3'er
07-11-2008, 04:38 PM
So if a Liquigas rider's B sample confirms the A sample's positive for EPO - Will Liquigas (pron: Leaky Gas if your Phil) be asked to leave the tour?

The whole team out for one rider then?

The entire Liquigas team will be registered at that other salon the same day the B sample is tested.

KIDDING. :banana:

capybaras
07-11-2008, 04:41 PM
The entire Liquigas team will be registered at that other salon the same day the B sample is tested.

KIDDING. :banana:

Allez! :banana:

jmc22
07-11-2008, 05:23 PM
French police have taken Spaniard Manuel Beltran away for questioning in the wake of the first doping scandal to emerge at this year's Tour de France.

Beltran, best known for helping Lance Armstrong to the last three of his seven Tour de France wins, tested positive for the blood booster erythropoietin (EPO) on the Tour's opening stage, according to top anti-doping officials on Friday.

Police led Beltran away, his head covered, after they had searched his hotel room. His Liquigas team has suspended him while awaiting the result of a counter-analysis, which could lead to his sacking.

"The police have taken Manuel away for questioning,” a team spokesman told AFP. “He was not sharing the room with any other teammates. It was only his room that was searched."

French police descended on the team's hotel Friday evening after anti-doping officials confirmed that Beltran tested positive for EPO following stage 1 last Saturday.

Beltran, who finished 25th on the day, was one of several riders randomly chosen to submit urine samples following the stage. An unnamed anti-doping official at the Tour confirmed the result of the test to AFP, and his team has removed him from the race while insisting that his is an isolated case.

The team is likely to be allowed to remain in the race if its managers convince Tour organizers of that.

"Our first decision is to suspend Manuel," said team manager Roberto Amadio. "He has told us he has done nothing wrong and he wants to have a counter-analysis done, so until then all we can do is to suspend him.

Beltran's positive A sample sends a bad message about Tour organizers' hopes to clean up the race.
Photo: AFP (file photo)Advertisement
"But if that also tests positive, his contract with the team will be terminated."

Amadio added: "Our first reaction to this news is one of surprise. For us it's a very bad situation, for the whole team, including the riders who must start the race tomorrow.

"We have an active anti-doping program in place, so for us if this result is confirmed it is an isolated case."

Last year the entire Cofidis team left the race when Cristian Moreni tested positive for testosterone. The French outfit left willingly despite Moreni admitting he had acted alone.

As the Tour de France is being held outside the auspices of the UCI this year, the French Anti-Doping Agency (AFLD) is carrying out all the blood and urine controls.

The AFLD took blood samples from the entire 180-strong peloton at the start of the race. These samples have been analyzed in Lausanne, and also sent to the UCI to form part of their database of profiles for the 'biological passport' program.

Beltran, now 37, began his career with the Mapei team in 1995, but came to wider attention when he joined the U.S. Postal team in 2003. He was at Armstrong's side during three of his successful Tour campaigns, in 2003, 2004 and 2005. In that last season, both men were named by L’Equipe as being among several riders whose samples from the 1999 Tour showed signs of EPO in a now-infamous retesting of six-year-old samples.

Beltran joined the Liquigas team last season, finishing 18th overall in the Tour last year. As of Friday, Beltran was in 26th place in the overall standings, after Friday's stage, 3:20 behind the race leader.

Top finishers are tested along with random riders following each stage.
Photo: Agence France PresseRace organizers welcomed "the effectiveness of the arrangements put in place by the AFLD," while expressing regret that some "irresponsible riders have still not understood that . . . the vise is closing around them. "

The news of Beltran's positive test is the first of this year's race.

jsfoster
07-11-2008, 06:42 PM
How fast were you at 37? This is this guys wallet..
-Jon

Ti Designs
07-11-2008, 06:58 PM
Let's see, standard cable is about $35/month, which I haven't had for the past 5 years. That's a little over $2000 saved. And this is what I missed???

Delpo
07-11-2008, 07:19 PM
Really guys, all this Lance bashing is really tiresome. If I follow the logic of this thread...

1. All TDF top riders dope
2. Lance doped and won 7 TDF

Does not that still make him the best? Give it a rest and enjoy the current spectacle...

GuyGadois
07-12-2008, 12:25 AM
Two, why would the fact that a rider tests positive two years after leaving Discovery have anything to do with LA? LA have secret influence on Liquigas?

Because it shows that he gave into weakness and I suspect that this wasn't his first time. Do you really think that Beltran just started his EPO regiment?

JStonebarger
07-12-2008, 05:37 AM
Irresponsible of L'Equipe for reporting this until the B Sample is tested.

Not that I think it won't be positive, but the process is worth something.

Newspapers in the U.S. report when someone is charged with a crime -- they don't wait until the accused is tried and found guilty.

I, for one, am glad L'Equipe is over there doing it's job. It seems to be our only real source of information. Accusations against a tour rider is news. Was the paper supposed to ignore the charges?

I don't read french, so I'm at everyone's mercy for not assuming that L'Equipe is part of some huge french conspiracy, but I've yet to see any evidence of "shoddy" or "yellow" journalism.

soulspinner
07-12-2008, 05:55 AM
Hes 37, Id probably succumb to EPO to try and keep up too, they dont call him tricky for nuttin. This is a great tour so far, up in the air, no patron to say when to go take a leak, and attacks all over. Vive le breakaway!!!!

caleb
07-12-2008, 05:58 AM
Newspapers in the U.S. report when someone is charged with a crime -- they don't wait until the accused is tried and found guilty.

I, for one, am glad L'Equipe is over there doing it's job. It seems to be our only real source of information. Accusations against a tour rider is news. Was the paper supposed to ignore the charges?

I don't read french, so I'm at everyone's mercy for not assuming that L'Equipe is part of some huge french conspiracy, but I've yet to see any evidence of "shoddy" or "yellow" journalism.

I am under the impression that at the time of writing there were no public charges.

If he was publically charged, fine. If it was still an internal investigation, then I don't think it's fine. I was under the impression that it was the latter at the time of reporting. I might be wrong.

JStonebarger
07-12-2008, 06:26 AM
I am under the impression that at the time of writing there were no public charges.

If he was publically charged, fine. If it was still an internal investigation, then I don't think it's fine. I was under the impression that it was the latter at the time of reporting. I might be wrong.

I don't quite understand it either. Did L'Equipe really "out" Beltran? I mean, before failed drug tests or police action? Or did it just scoop the story before the official announcement?

Some people seem upset that L'Equipe would cover this story at all. By that logic, should the accused rider keep racing "until proven guilty" by the B test? Or maybe until after he's appealed the failed tests all the way to CAS?

bike <3'er
07-12-2008, 11:25 AM
How fast were you at 37? This is this guys wallet..
-Jon

What's the price of tea in China? How does a husband, a full-time lawyer's speed on the bike at age 28 have anything to do with Beltran's speed at age 37? Or the fact that he cheated and was caught with EPO? If your statement above is used in a closing statement by his lawyers during a defense suit, good luck! Ladies and gentleman of the court, my client is 58 years old, he recently lost his job and he needed to rob that bank. Yes it's ashame a police officer was killed while speeding in his patrol car, involved in a deadly two-car accident in which the other driver is paralyzed, but folks, hey, his wallet was empty and he just had to rob that bank.

There was a pro racer on this forum who echoed your sentiment every time this discussion arose; telling us about someone's wallet only deepens their guilt and shame.

soulspinner
07-12-2008, 12:53 PM
What's the price of tea in China? How does a husband, a full-time lawyer's speed on the bike at age 28 have anything to do with Beltran's speed at age 37? Or the fact that he cheated and was caught with EPO? If your statement above is used in a closing statement by his lawyers during a defense suit, good luck! Ladies and gentleman of the court, my client is 58 years old, he recently lost his job and he needed to rob that bank. Yes it's ashame a police officer was killed while speeding in his patrol car, involved in a deadly two-car accident in which the other driver is paralyzed, but folks, hey, his wallet was empty and he just had to rob that bank.

There was a pro racer on this forum who echoed your sentiment every time this discussion arose; telling us about someone's wallet only deepens their guilt and shame.

See, nobody died. Thats only one of many differences, those of degree.

harlond
07-12-2008, 01:51 PM
Because it shows that he gave into weakness and I suspect that this wasn't his first time.Beltran's weakness is attributable to LA?
Do you really think that Beltran just started his EPO regiment?Not at all, but given the large number of riders that dope, many never associated with LA, I just can't figure out why people tie to LA every misstep by a rider no longer associated with LA. It's not logical. It proves nothing. Now if Beltran came out and said he was just doing what LA taught him, that would be different. If riders tested positive or admitted doping while on LA's team, that would be different (this is where Swart's story comes in; not clear that LA figures so much in Andreu's story). But that's not what you have. What you have is an aging rider in a sport in which use of EPO was widespread long before he ever linked up with LA. Associating Beltran's deal with LA is a major stretch even on the guilt by (former) association front.

BigMiles
07-12-2008, 04:48 PM
If they(wada) can ever develop a full proof dope dectection system then I say ban the entire team based on any individuals positive test....hit them in the wallet, maybe riders will hold each other accountable. With that said, the emphasis needs to be placed on the testing agencies to be able to fairly conduct tests consistently and accurately

BumbleBeeDave
07-12-2008, 05:32 PM
. . . Associating Beltran's deal with LA is a major stretch even on the guilt by (former) association front.

I also can't understand why this comes up every time someone who ever had any association whatsoever with LA gets busted. I mean, I don't like LA all that much, either, but come ON . . . This is getting ridiculous!

BBD

Elefantino
07-12-2008, 05:55 PM
A guy doped.

He got caught.

The testing worked.

Move along … nothing to see here.

bike <3'er
07-12-2008, 07:20 PM
Bobke used the word, "Conceit" about half dozen times in describing Beltran. I've used the same word time and again within the debate of doping; it is a conceited to place yourself in such a losing position, cheating, lying while you let down your team, your sport and of course, yourself. But that's what makes it conceited, the fact that it's more than just about you.

The pro who rides and writes in here that we, the weekend low-wattage warriors, who are too slow, lack the UCI classification and therefore, should not judge a doper, is incorrect as Bob, Phil and Paul spell it out.

Vive le Tour. Beltran, if he's guilty matters not. Ride on. The race to Paris continues...

paczki
07-12-2008, 08:18 PM
This is a nice piece. Nothing anyone doesn't know, but...

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/13/sports/sportsspecial1/13lemond.html

bike <3'er
07-12-2008, 08:28 PM
This is a nice piece. Nothing anyone doesn't know, but...

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/13/sports/sportsspecial1/13lemond.html

Nice article, thanks. Of interest and hightlight, "Armstrong declined a request for an interview. A spokeswoman for Armstrong said he would not be attending the Tour because he had committed to several events in the United States this month related to his cancer foundation."

Lance using cancer to deflect, or is he genuinely too busy?

jmc22
07-12-2008, 10:56 PM
Nice article, thanks. Of interest and hightlight, "Armstrong declined a request for an interview. A spokeswoman for Armstrong said he would not be attending the Tour because he had committed to several events in the United States this month related to his cancer foundation."

Lance using cancer to deflect, or is he genuinely too busy?

Okay we all know that you don't like LA - but really now... :crap:

I personally believe that fighting Cancer is bigger then the TDF... :beer:

Sorry if you don't agree. :no:

toaster
07-12-2008, 11:24 PM
Check out BelgiumKneeWarmers blog, they mention that recently a lab missed detecting positive samples and that the tests were made to detect Amgen produced EPO but not EPO produced in other countries.

I'm summarizing what was written there so I don't claim it to be factual.

Maybe Beltran thought he could get by using a EPO made in a foreign country that would not be detected like an Amgen product.

Bud_E
07-12-2008, 11:42 PM
Maybe Beltran thought he could get by using a EPO made in a foreign country that would not be detected like an Amgen product.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaZLlrwvzPQ

bike <3'er
07-13-2008, 12:43 AM
Okay we all know that you don't like LA - but really now... :crap:

I personally believe that fighting Cancer is bigger then the TDF... :beer:

Sorry if you don't agree. :no:

Based on the article from the NY times (link above from paczki) would it be fair/reasonable to ask, would Lance be at le Tour if Team Jonathon/Astana was in the le Tour?

Is it also fair/reasonable to think, hey, le Tour has gone out of it's way with le marketing to really promote a new start, thereby pushing Lance (Astana/Jonathon) away, while making certain a powerful advocate for le cleanliness, Mr. Lemond, was in attendance?

Is it also fair/reasonable to ask, why is it that Team Lance (his own marketing people who refused the NY Times interview) went out of it's way to not only let the world know that Lance was not simply busy, but busy with cancer, thereby saying to the press, "Checkmate, we made your story of Lance's no-show at le Tour a non-story with the Lance's charity work for...cancer."

Is it also fair/reasonable to ask that perhaps Lance was simply not going to interview with the New York Times as The Times recently wrote an article asking the question: is Lance's social life negatively impacting his effectiveness as a cancer advocate?

Really now, is Lance tied up for the whole time le Tour is on? Or...is Lance embittered by Tour officials, LeMond's presence at le Tour, so his scheduling of his Livestrong Challenge just happened while he forgot, "When the Tour (de France) started" as he recenty told the press.

Lance Armstrong is a political animal. He's not in politics (yet) and he's rough around the edges when it comes to his social life, but other than that, he is quite polished. He's coyly avoiding le Tour, le Tour is quietly pushing him away imho and in the meantime, he golfed with Kate Hudson on Friday, after he spent time earlier in the week with his pal Matthew McConaughey. All the while, Mr. LeMond was at le Tour as Lance played tennis with (bimbo) Kate.

Coincidence? Coincidence that Lance forgot when le Tour started? Coincidence le Tour seems to have finally broken up with Team Lance, as Lance broke up with them the moment he left Paris in 2005? Strange le Tour wants a new start and makes certain LeMond is there, while Lance is not? Coincidence Lance's cancer ride is during le Tour? Best yet, coincidence Lance runs to cancer-advocate-charity every time he gets beaten up in the press?

None of it really matters to me (I'm more excited to see this Tour hit their first real mountain stage) and it's not complicated to call a spade a spade when it comes to Armstrong, in fact I think what I've spelled out is kinda obvious, even to someone in the Armstrong camp. I like Armstrong, but I respect LeMond. :beer:

Article worth reading:

http://www.mercurynews.com/community/ci_9848638

http://www.celebrity-gossip.net/celebrities/hollywood/kate-hudson-and-lance-armstrong-hit-the-links-204747/

http://www.custercountychief.com/content/view/101641/121/

http://www.celebrity-gossip.net/celebrities/hollywood/kate-hudson-and-lance-armstrong-tennis-lovers-204699/

Samster
07-13-2008, 04:21 AM
this sport needs leadership. hire jack welch atmo.

cadence90
07-13-2008, 04:46 AM
1) I am against all doping in cycling or any other sports (yes, I'm naive).

2) I have no idea (nor do I care much) whether the "guilt by association to Lance" allegations hold any additional meaning. I don't think so.

3) The system is still screwed up: to arrest/remove the rider and publish that the 'A' sample is "positive" without even having tested the 'B' sample is just mean, damaging, and hypocritical, imho.

4) It's the hypocrisy (papers looking for blood, current team managers coyly applauding, etc.) as much as the actual doping that will kill pro cycling.

5) But, FOR SURE, this photograph (published in the Los Angeles Times, July 12, 2008) I find absolutely disgusting and denigrating. The man is not some violent criminal, who needs to be handcuffed for the 5 meter walk from the hotel to the paddie wagon. This is like the Italian 3:00am TAS raiders coupled with some over-eager mercenary soldier tactics.
So much for human dignity....
This system entirely sucks, on so many levels. Boo. :mad: :butt: :(

http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/9289/beltranincuffs01da9.jpg

Elefantino
07-13-2008, 05:29 AM
Dope and you, too, could be led away in handcuffs.

Consider it cycling's death penalty.

Maybe it will work better as a deterrent than the real one.

http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/9289/beltranincuffs01da9.jpg

jmc22
07-13-2008, 12:34 PM
It's no secret that the TDF thinks LA doped, but could NEVER PROVE IT.. :argue:

It's no secret that some people think that LA doped, but once again it has NEVER BEEN PROVEN. :argue:

Why would any man in his right mind go promote something/someone that has been out to get him? Bike <3're - it would be like asking LA to attend your next birthday party and cheer you on.... :confused:

You say that GL is at the TDF...who cares, if you didn't read that he was there you would have never known...so I ask the question.. what difference has GL being there made?

IMHO, LA is doing the right thing, let them run their lil TDF race and move on to more important things...such as supporting Cancer and it's fight for a cure. :beer:

cdalefan67
07-15-2008, 11:12 PM
alls im gonna say is you gotta be pretty dumb to be dopin at this stage of pro cyclin...sure they arnt perfect in testin yet..but come on!!! AND i have read the others in here talkin bout the french and ADC goin after LA and anybody around him...then even more reason not two!! earth to tricky!!!

cdalefan67
07-15-2008, 11:19 PM
hahah.. everybody will love this...anybody sayin tricky could be innocent i think not!!! check out this vid just found....http://www.cycleto.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=380 ...makes you wonder he he

harlond
07-16-2008, 06:39 AM
If they(wada) can ever develop a full proof dope dectection system then I say ban the entire team based on any individuals positive test....hit them in the wallet, maybe riders will hold each other accountable. With that said, the emphasis needs to be placed on the testing agencies to be able to fairly conduct tests consistently and accuratelyKill them all and let God sort them out.

goonster
07-16-2008, 08:51 AM
If they(wada) can ever develop a full proof dope dectection system

They can't.