PDA

View Full Version : OT: Robot Building, anyone?

MRB
07-11-2008, 12:00 PM
I hope it's okay to discuss this on the forum. Anyone ever built a robot before?
I have worked for a company that used Puma (high end / expensive) Robotic Arms in its mfg.tools.

I'm thinking high school / junior college projects. Successes? Failures? Frustrations? Trials and Tribulations? KISS approaches? The goal is Hands-On/Minds-On projects that help students "Train their Brain." Our school already offers traditional Woods / Cabinetry. Welding, Auto Mech, etc. We are looking to grow our Electronics classes. also, SkillsUSA / VICA experience, anyone?

'Just tryin' to help kids find their place in the world, and NOT to FORGET about their BICYCLES along the way.

Discuss Please.

TIA,

John

ada@prorider.or
07-11-2008, 12:17 PM
I hope it's okay to discuss this on the forum. Anyone ever built a robot before?

i did as chief would say many many moons ago

xjoex
07-11-2008, 02:37 PM
Yes, a few. There are some good places to start, like....

Parallax makes the BoeBot, it is a robot platform designed for highschool through adult with a great set of books and online support all FREE! Check them out at http://www.parallax.com/tabid/411/Default.aspx Two main reasons I like them is that all of their books are available for free as PDFs, and the second is because it uses a programmable micro controller so you learn a little programming and some basic electronics.

The second resource is a fantastic book called "Robot building for beginners" by David Cook. Check it out here (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1893115445/robotroom-20)
This book is a great resource for learning electronics and in the end you have a line following robot. It teaches you so much about building electronics projects. There is no programing to be done, it just uses a comparator to follow the line. This book is fantastic. You could make a neat class out of following the book (each chapter is a subject like ohm's law, look an LED-lets make it light up...) then have a little race at the end wth the bots the students build.

If you want to chat more, send me an email joe at in0ti0n d()m c()m

-Joe

MRB
07-11-2008, 04:25 PM
Parallax makes the BoeBot...
If you want to chat more, send me an email joe at in0ti0n d()m c()m
-Joe
Joe,

Thanks for the great tips!! Again, this forum is amazing. The BoeBot looks like it will ship soon, and the book you mentioned looks great.
I will contact you.

Cheers,
John

false_Aest
07-11-2008, 05:50 PM
The second resource is a fantastic book called "Robot building for beginners" by David Cook. Check it out here (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1893115445/robotroom-20)
-Joe

I took a class called Robotics Art Studio in Undergrad. We used this book as well as something called Junkbots, Bugbots and Bots on Wheels as an intro. to that stuff. We were newbies at this stuff. Maybe Junkbots is a little too basic for your students.

Bruce K
07-11-2008, 07:17 PM
I have helped mentor the local First Robotics team at our high school.

My son captained the team last year and has become involved in the organizing group.

Lots of Vex stuff and very cool.

Check out First Robotics on line. They probably have a competition near you.

BK

MRB
07-12-2008, 09:58 AM
Lots of Vex stuff and very cool.
BK
Bruce K,
Thanks for the tip on FIRST. Pardon my ignorance, but what is Vex stuff?
thanks again,

Bruce K
07-12-2008, 12:15 PM
Go to www.vexrobotics.com and check out the componentry.

They supply some of the componentry used to build the First Robotics competition robots.

BK

MRB
07-12-2008, 07:58 PM
Go to www.vexrobotics.com and check out the componentry.
BK
Bruce K. Thanks!! Cool Tips all. Again, this forum is amazing, thanks Ben!

Over-and-Out
JA