PDA

View Full Version : Caring for steel winter bike

bnewt07
07-11-2008, 06:24 AM
I'm shortly getting a nice new steel frame to build up into my 'winter' trainer. I've never owned a steel bike before.

Just a quick query about caring for it. In view of the fact it will have all-weather use should I consider putting anything inside the frame to reduce the risk of corrosion? I wondered about a very thin coating of rust inhibitor such as Waxoyl (as I used on the steel tubes of my kit car).

What about after use-would you always dry it off and hang it upside down with the seatpost out?

Or am I just paranoid!

Sandy
07-11-2008, 06:48 AM
Steel frames can rust from the inside. I would use definitely use a rust inhibitor as you mentioned. I had a Serotta CSI (all steel bike) and each year used Frame Saver for rust inhibition. Once a year may be more frequent than needed, but I had it done as part of my annual service done at my local Serotta dealer. I would see if the manufacurer of the frame initially uses a rust inhibitor.

I never rode in the rain unless I got caught in it during a ride. If it was a heavy rain, I would use a hair dryer (I have no other purpose for one- little hair :D ) to dry out the bike and would on occasion take out the seat post. I have heard some say that you don't have to be so careful, just ride it, but I think precautions against rust are in order.

Hope you enjoy the frame for many years.

Serotta Steel Sandy

redir
07-11-2008, 07:12 AM
I'm shortly getting a nice new steel frame to build up into my 'winter' trainer. I've never owned a steel bike before.

Just a quick query about caring for it. In view of the fact it will have all-weather use should I consider putting anything inside the frame to reduce the risk of corrosion? I wondered about a very thin coating of rust inhibitor such as Waxoyl (as I used on the steel tubes of my kit car).

What about after use-would you always dry it off and hang it upside down with the seatpost out?

Or am I just paranoid!

I think you are a bit paranoid :) My '83 Nashbar has spent most of it's life outside on the porch, not directly in the rain but still outside and it's just starting to show a little rust. If you plan on having the bike for 25 years or more then yeah wipe it down. I do use frame saver on all my steal frames. And if you live on the beach or where they salt roads in the winter then by all means spray it off.

I'd be curious to know what you think of the steal ride too once you get her up and running.

bnewt07
07-11-2008, 08:19 AM
I'd not heard of Frame Saver, have just found it on the web. That or similar seems sensible.

I rode my posh bike in a storm last week and water certainly found its way inside (and out when I unscrewed the BB cable guide plate). A quick tip if you own a carbon frame-do not do this over the carpet as what comes out is like black ink!

CNY rider
07-11-2008, 08:39 AM
Where do you live?

I have a fendered cross bike that gets commuted on all winter.

We get a lot of snow here and the roads are salted much of the winter.

I've found the salt spray to be very destructive of components. Chain life is short, brake calipers rust, cables get nasty etc. I take the bike completely apart every spring, replace a bunch of corroded nasty stuff and put it all back together.

So far the frame seems to be making out OK. Make sure you fill any paint chips because the salt spray hitting bar metal will start rust very quickly.

And remember that when this one rusts you get to get another new bicycle! :beer:

David Kirk
07-11-2008, 08:41 AM
Framesaver it and forget it.

dave

bnewt07
07-11-2008, 08:56 AM
Where do you live?

I have a fendered cross bike that gets commuted on all winter.

We get a lot of snow here and the roads are salted much of the winter.

:

I live in North Yorks, one of Britains wetter counties. I do clean up my bikes after a ride, and I'm used to the attrition of components through the winter. i I was more worried about the frame.

markie
07-11-2008, 09:16 AM
I commute year round in IL.

I second the use of frame saver.

I also recommend putting a hole in the bottom of your bottom bracket shell to let water drain out.

giordana93
07-11-2008, 09:20 AM
I live in North Yorks, one of Britains wetter counties. I do clean up my bikes after a ride, and I'm used to the attrition of components through the winter. i I was more worried about the frame.

the salt used for snow and ice are what makes it so corrosive, and still, that is on the exterior of the frame. for peace of mind, go ahead and apply some framesaver, or some other home brew-I think linseed oil (boiled?) has been used, but honestly by the time the frame rusts from the inside out, even without treatment, you'll be ready for a new bike..I've never treated any of my steel bikes and ride them through slushy winters and have never had one rust out or ever see one rust out. it happens, surely, but most rust is just surface rust and nothing that will really destroy the frame. I wouldn't worry about it, just make sure you check for spot rust when you clean it up every once in a while and on an annual inspection when it's time to give your trusty steed the break--and lube-- it deserves. use grease liberally
....now that I'm thinking, does anyone still do the cork in the steerer tube trick (with a small drain hole for rain)?
cheers,
marvin

Fixed
07-11-2008, 09:35 AM
i ride everyday and everyday it rains on me and the bike take care of it when you get home wipe it down chain too and lube hang up side down ( oh the bike not you but if you are really wet you can try that also ) take seatpost out sometimes ..that is all i do ... :beer:
cheers

bnewt07
07-11-2008, 09:41 AM
Do I worry about my car?

To be fair my car is covered in multiple layers of paint, unlike the inside of my new frame I suspect.

Anyway I'm getting the strong vibe not to be too fussy. I'll try to track down some Frame Saver, once I've managed to get somebody with my chosen frame in stock!

Fixed
07-11-2008, 09:47 AM
you need only listen to a master dave kirk
cheers

Kevan
07-11-2008, 09:52 AM
condensation. If you bring a cold frame into a warm climate, you're inviting the build up of moisture. Framesaver is the guard, but keeping the bike in constant, or relatively similar temps, will lessen the sweat action similar to that of a glass of iced tea and a hot summer's day.

Painting the obvious.

bnewt07
07-11-2008, 10:13 AM
Preety eh. Mine will be the same, plus mud and cow muck!

vjp
07-11-2008, 02:43 PM
BoeShield is also a good product and a little easier to get here in Canada than Framesaver.

Wax, lubricate the moving bits, pull the seatpost once in a while... have fun.

Sasha18
07-11-2008, 02:54 PM
They sell that bike at my nearby shop. I like it. Very practical for a winter trainer.

I met Peter Weigle (the inventor of said framesaver) and bought a can at the NAHBS. Nice guy. Seemed worthy of people's patronage.

A piece of advice on keeping the bike clean during the winter - Buddy Flaps. In addition to fenders, you'll want to get some extensions for both the front and back. A waterbottle cut in half and attached to the end of the fender works well. You can get aftermarket ones with logos, etc. The rear flap is a matter of politeness. The front one keeps dirt, grime, water, etc off your feet and your frame. Invaluable for a winter bike.

Peter P.
07-11-2008, 05:57 PM
Framesaver the inside of all the tubes. Don't worry about winter; rust acts only in a very narrow temp range like 40 degrees +/- a few.

Regular rain shouldn't be a problem either.

Sweat is a cause of rust, if left on a bike. So, if you sweat onto the tubes, wipe the frame down after the ride with a wet rag. Same goes for trainer use. It takes me all of two minutes, tops, and I'm not removing wheels and such.

Don't leave the bike in a humid environment such as a damp basement.

I commuted by bike year 'round and stored the bike inside, near my kitchen. The change from outside winter to inside kitchen never caused rust problems.

sg8357
07-11-2008, 06:45 PM
Framesaver it and forget it.

dave

Thus speaketh the framebuilder, by the time your bike rusts out,
your name will have appeared back at the top of the framebuilders list.
:beer:

For winter I suggest a Ti bike with a Sturmey Archer hub gear.

Scott G.

vqdriver
07-11-2008, 09:16 PM
for an idea, i still have a 93 steel stumpjumper which i just repainted and built up for my sister. nary a hint of rust and i've taken that thing thru rain, puddles, streams, rivers, thru the atlantic....
i've ridden up to my shins in that rig and she doesn't show any signs of slowing down. any rust i found was thin and cleaned out with some lube. i never used anything like frame saver, just a nice thin coat of grease worked fine.