PDA

View Full Version : Serotta Heads Up

DownTick
10-14-2004, 03:27 PM
I ride a Canondale R3000 with the SI Slice Carbon fork. I want to raise my handlebars up just a little to relieve some pressure on my wrists while on the dropdowns. The problem is, as I understand it, that I can not install a longer forkshaft because the forkshaft and the fork are one piece, carbon.

This being the case, can I install a Serotta Heads Up head tube extender to the top of the carbon fork shaft to add an inch of height to the fork shaft? There are already 5 small carbon spacers below the handlebar stem. If this is possible, would I reduce the safety and strength of the handlebar setup?

Thank you

Serotta_James
10-14-2004, 03:37 PM
The Heads-Up is a 1" headtube extender. It presses into the top of the head tube much like a headset cup would. Then you press in your headset and you have a longer headtube and This allows you to raise your bars up without overdoing the spacers (maximum spacer allowance for 1" steering columns is 35mm).

The heads-up does NOT extend the steering column on your fork.

This is a moot point for now, because we have sold out of heads-ups; more are on the way.

:beer:

DownTick
10-14-2004, 03:45 PM
ahhh, gotcha. thanks.

I suppose I should do one or more of the following:

1 - Replace the fork, and not cut as much off of the shaft (steering column) and use washers / Heads Up. However, that still just yeilds me an inch, which I have now due to the spacers.

2 - NOT spend 95% of my riding time on the dropdowns.

3 - Add clip-on aerobars.

4 - Install a taller stem / neck.

What is your feeling about the best idea (s)?

Thanks

Ozz
10-14-2004, 03:45 PM
The integrated headset strikes! No "Heads-Up" for you! :no:

sorry....

You might try a different angle stem and / or spacers that raise your bars a bit....

Dude
10-14-2004, 09:57 PM
Just like Ozz said - your best bet is to find a positive rise stem. Talk to your bike shop before you do any of this.

csb
10-14-2004, 10:40 PM
dude

Tony Edwards
10-14-2004, 10:43 PM
Hey, as long as we have, er, Serottans in this thread, are there any plans to make a 1 1/8" Heads Up?

mavic1010
10-14-2004, 11:36 PM
two things...

They are out of stock on the heads up...and I asked for a 1 1/8...they said no....

Larry
10-15-2004, 05:40 AM
I just had a Heads-up installed with a new Ouzo Pro.
It looks great !!
Larry

Kevan
10-15-2004, 08:00 AM
don't cut it flush to the stem. Leave an additional centimeter w/ spacer on top for future er, expansion.

victoryfactory
10-15-2004, 08:07 AM
like Ozz and Dude said, first consider a new stem with a positive rise, also
there are some bars out there with a more shallow drop that can raise
your hand position about 1/2 inch

VF

christian
10-15-2004, 08:23 AM
don't cut it flush to the stem. Leave an additional centimeter w/ spacer on top for future er, expansion.

I know I have to agree with Kevan here, but doesn't this just stink about threadless steerers and clamp-on stems?

The solution to getting an adjustable fit and the ability to sell the bike used to someone who wants a higher bar position basically requires the user to leave 1-2cm of spacers above the stem. But really, that's about as attractive as tucking your dress slacks into your socks, so people just hack them off at the stem and then are faced with issues like this.

I recognize the benefits of threadless steerers, both from a manufacturing standpoint (one steerer fits all forks) and from a user standpoint (no frozen stems, better adjustability on bikes with short headtubes). But this complaint and the fact that you have to readjust your headset when you raise/lower your stem just really irk me.

I think there's a better solution than quill stems, but I don't think the current iteration of threadless steerers and clamp-on stems is it.

Thoughts?

- Christian