PDA

View Full Version : The French

majorpat
07-09-2008, 09:13 AM
They seem to be more of a factor in the tour this year, or is it just me. Not so much in the GC right now but in the breaks, yellow jersey, etc.

Perhaps they were right all along about there being two speeds in the peloton a few years back? Probably.

rwsaunders
07-09-2008, 09:22 AM
That's because of them being able to bar people like Contador and Leipheimer from competing; last year's number 1 and 3 podium finishers. :cool:

paczki
07-09-2008, 09:27 AM
That's because of them being able to bar people like Contador and Leipheimer from competing; last year's number 1 and 3 podium finishers. :cool:

Oh yeah, that must be it! :D

Fixed
07-09-2008, 10:05 AM
it is the t.d.f.

french history dig ?
cheers
they will rip their hearts out to win

Charles M
07-09-2008, 10:07 AM
Actually I think the French are taking a que from Campy and have introduced a 3rd speed...

The french guys are always banging away like this.

What's different are the stage profiles.

The first couple days were like good one day race profiles and it lends it's self to better racing and the French are always aggresive.

Add to that the lack of pure sprinter teams... No Peta team, McEwen has never had a full team, There is no pure alpha male that allows for an 8 figure budget and the animals to destroy breaks either. Now it's a combined effort thing and those don't always work out.

pdxmech13
07-09-2008, 02:49 PM
does it seem odd that milram have done nothing to support zabel ? he's only a stage win away from the green jersey.

Big Daddy
07-09-2008, 02:55 PM
does it seem odd that milram have done nothing to support zabel ? he's only a stage win away from the green jersey.

Milram= no more (read less) doping
French= The FFC is throwing bag loads of $ their way to animate

regularguy412
07-09-2008, 02:56 PM
IMHO, there's really no French pure GC contender (read: climber, like Virenque). Therefore, they're really out for stage wins. This practice certainly makes for good press on a daily basis.

Flame suit on.

Mike in AR:beer:

93legendti
07-09-2008, 03:09 PM
It's a tad early. Last year, after the 1rst mountain stage people here were talking up Moreau as a podium candidate...

rustychisel
07-10-2008, 12:39 AM
hahhahhahahaha, that genuinely is funny - or sad.

This year Moreau - 'the goat' - has shaved the aerodynamically unfriendly goatee. Must be hoping for a big tour.

paczki
07-10-2008, 08:56 AM
Poor Moreau. The transcribed discussion at the end of "Lance to Landis" between Frankie Andreu and Floyd is really sad. They pity poor Moreau for being clean in a dirty peloton. Not that he didn't use before he was caught in Festina. But I think he might have done much, much better if he either hadn't been caught drugging and kept up, or if the peloton was clean..

bzbvh5
07-10-2008, 01:27 PM
They seem to be more of a factor in the tour this year, or is it just me. Not so much in the GC right now but in the breaks,

You notice that three teams (Agritubel, Cofidis, Francaise Dex Jeux) consistantly send a rider on the break. I don't think it is about winning stages or the race for that matter, it's about 4 hour of advertising. And if you get a successful break, all the better. Nice break for Agritubel getting in yellow for 1 day and Cofidis now in the Red Polka dot jersey.

El Chaba
07-10-2008, 01:45 PM
It's a tad early. Last year, after the 1rst mountain stage people here were talking up Moreau as a podium candidate...

...and some were tipping George Hincapie (!)........

soulspinner
07-11-2008, 06:05 AM

Hes been in every sprint I saw. The guy is amazing for 38...

jeffg
07-11-2008, 11:59 AM
French abandons and poor performances today ...

leave stage wins as the only potentially viable option for la patrie ...

johnnymossville
07-11-2008, 01:25 PM
Bernard Hinault did France proud the other day. Probably more than any of the riders in the actual race.

The Badger! (http://youtube.com/watch?v=CXLSUpPS6So)

hehe