PDA

View Full Version : Ambient Noise Level Of Your Campagnolo Drivetrain

jberenyi
07-09-2008, 08:07 AM
For some reason mine is louder than usual or what I would expect. I have a Ti frame, Racing 1 wheels and a full Ultra Torque Record group in a compact crank. Here are some questions that come to mind that could contribute to a louder ambient noise level:

Are Campagnolo chains typically louder?
Are Chorus chains any quieter due to the lack of hollow pins?
Are some lubes better than others for keeping a drivetrain quieter?
Is a compact crank design louder than a standard crank?
Do Ti frames have a louder signature due to its material density?
Do all rear derailleurs from the same company in the same model sound the same regarding noiselevels?
Can some wheels magnify drivetrain noise levels more than others?

Would love to hear comments from others that may have proven knowledge of the above.

Kervin
07-09-2008, 09:31 AM
Can some wheels magnify drivetrain noise levels more than others? .

My bike has more drivetrain noise when I have on the Eurus wheels vs Alloy record w/CXP 30's or open pros. It makes a hollow sort of sound.

Fixed
07-09-2008, 10:06 AM
none on my campy setup
but it is fixed
cheers

1centaur
07-09-2008, 11:30 AM
I wonder if this thread will drift.

Yes I think some wheels are a little noisier (though not constantly), no compact cranks are not noisier, as a CF-lover I am inclined to say that sound travels more in a metal bike but there are some CF bikes where that's true as well and I have not noticed my Moots being louder than my CF bikes, I think ProLink makes for quieter drivetrains than Dumond Tech but if you are at that level of subtlety you'll never be happy with drivetrain noise, my old Campy Chorus drivetrain was pretty quiet.

A key question is "louder than usual or what I would expect" begs for the rest of the comparison - what's your usual and why do you expect something quieter?

Are your chain and cassette the same age - no changing of one or the other lately? If you get the noise in every gear that mating would be my first thought. A loose jockey wheel might be another thought.

jberenyi
07-09-2008, 11:52 AM
I wonder if this thread will drift.

Yes I think some wheels are a little noisier (though not constantly), no compact cranks are not noisier, as a CF-lover I am inclined to say that sound travels more in a metal bike but there are some CF bikes where that's true as well and I have not noticed my Moots being louder than my CF bikes, I think ProLink makes for quieter drivetrains than Dumond Tech but if you are at that level of subtlety you'll never be happy with drivetrain noise, my old Campy Chorus drivetrain was pretty quiet.

A key question is "louder than usual or what I would expect" begs for the rest of the comparison - what's your usual and why do you expect something quieter?

Are your chain and cassette the same age - no changing of one or the other lately? If you get the noise in every gear that mating would be my first thought. A loose jockey wheel might be another thought.

My comparison is with a De Bernardi steel frame in SLX tubing. It has a Campy 10 spd as well. Quiet as can be. Yes it is new though and the other bike is 2 years old (all components built at same time brand new).

Dave
07-09-2008, 12:28 PM
The new Campy UN chain is as quiet as anything on the market, IMO. If you want a quiet chain, use a wet lube and apply generously. Dry lubes can make for a noisy chain. There's a fairly recent post discussing chain lube, that you should be able to find easily.

Whatever noise you're hearing can't be attributed to any of the parts, unless it's the freewheel racheting, which can be louder than Mavic, but quieter than some others. Keep pedaling and their will be no racheting.

Some frames do transmit and exaggerate noise, as do some deep section rims. I've ridden behind some very noisy deep carbon wheeled bikes.

Riding faster will eliminate the problem. Wind will drown out the drivetrain noise.

H1449-6
07-09-2008, 12:34 PM
...is higher than on any other bike I've ever had.

Dekonick
07-09-2008, 01:34 PM
How clean is your rig? How lubed is your chain? Yes to both = quiet campy.

3chordwonder
07-10-2008, 01:17 AM
In case it's pertinent: when brand new, my Record drivetrain was noticably louder than my Ultegra drivetrain, but within a few months it quietened down and started working beautifully. May have been as simple as the adjustment not having been quite perfect at first, or buildup of lube that did it.