PDA

View Full Version : Ride Report #3 - Sheep, Climbing and Hoodoos

bocarider
07-08-2008, 10:01 PM
Today we drove over to Bryce Canyon to get another solid climb in before our Backroads trips starts tomorrow. Our drive started with running into a huge heard of sheep. Really. See the picture below.

The Park road is about 18 miles from the Park entrance to Rainbow Point at about 9,000 feet. We both felt really good riding today. My wife’s bike has a triple on it (at her insistence) but she told me she never dropped it into granny gear once the whole way up the mountain. Coming down we hit a major headwind. I was riding downhill, in my big ring putting out about 220-250 watts and I was going 21 mph tops. It was an odd feeling to pedal down a descent.

Rainbow point looks out over Bryce Canyon which is pretty spectacular. I have posted a pic of the view from the top. Hoodoos are the tall spires of rock that make up a lot of the rock formations in the Canyon.

Spud – bikes are functioning great. I had no trouble getting my crank back on during set up so thanks very much (that’s for the guys at the Boca Shop).

rdparadise
07-08-2008, 10:15 PM
Beautiful pics. Enjoy your Backroads tour. That area of the country is just beautiful for riding. Enjoy yourselves.

Bob

Brian Smith
07-09-2008, 09:42 PM
Thanks for sharing, that's cool to see.

skijoring
07-10-2008, 10:16 AM
I camped near Rainbow Point for a couple nights, hiked down into the valley of the hoodoos. Weather is quite changeable in late September as I remember. Sun one day, and snow/rain/ice storm the next. Brrr!

girlie
07-10-2008, 10:23 AM
Very COOL:)

TAW
07-10-2008, 10:50 AM
Thanks for the pics and the ride report. Fun to look at.

Spud
07-12-2008, 09:38 PM
Beautiful! Euw must be having fun :cool:

Lifelover
07-12-2008, 10:12 PM
You said "Huge" but I still expected to just se a few dozen. That looks like hundreds or maybe even 1K+!

Super cool!

This may sound like a strange question, but could you smell them?