PDA

View Full Version : which frame?

bikergirl
07-08-2008, 02:55 PM
Carbon is good for stiffness. Ti for smooth ride. Right? If I like long rides and uphill should I choose ti, cf or a combination of both? I want a light bike of course.

SadieKate
07-08-2008, 02:58 PM
Why two threads on the same topic?

Materials can be manipulated to be many things. You need to go ride several frames in several materials and determine if you can feel a difference and if it is actually the material or the fit and geometry.

TAW
07-08-2008, 03:03 PM
First off, welcome to the forum.

In your search for a frame, there can be a variance of stiffness, weight, and comfort in any frame material. Some carbon fiber frames can be heavier, and have a variety of stiffness and comfort level. It's the same with nearly every material.

Since you're light yourself and starting out, in general a stiffer frame may be more than you need, and not be super comfortable. I would think, for you, that it would be harder to go wrong with a Ti frame than with any other, but that's just a recommendation.

If you can find a bike shop that will let you demo some frames, that would be best to find what you like. Wheels, tire pressure and other components also have an effect on the way a bike handles and rides.

Hope this helps.

regularguy412
07-08-2008, 03:17 PM
First off, welcome to the forum.

In your search for a frame, there can be a variance of stiffness, weight, and comfort in any frame material. Some carbon fiber frames can be heavier, and have a variety of stiffness and comfort level. It's the same with nearly every material.

Since you're light yourself and starting out, in general a stiffer frame may be more than you need, and not be super comfortable. I would think, for you, that it would be harder to go wrong with a Ti frame than with any other, but that's just a recommendation.

If you can find a bike shop that will let you demo some frames, that would be best to find what you like. Wheels, tire pressure and other components also have an effect on the way a bike handles and rides.

Hope this helps.

This is good advice. Also -- Make Sure The Bike FITS! If you're relatively new to cycling, be aware that as you go along your position will likely change and adapt. You may choose to select a slightly less expensive bike that fits you well right now. Later on, you might want to 'upgrade' to a frame that fits your 'new' position better. This is why you see and hear about long-time cyclists having had many more than just ONE bike. It's a natural progression, but you still have to have bike that fits or you'll never be comfortable. I guess what I'm trying to say is that it usually takes time and miles until you find 'the' bike for you, regardless from what material it is made.

Mike in AR:beer:

fierte_poser
07-08-2008, 03:32 PM
Since you're light yourself

How did you determine this?!?

dekindy
07-08-2008, 03:36 PM
http://strongframes.com/news/hmbs_08/

Watch the video. Interesting combination of materials and descriptions of each materials characteristics.

Ginger
07-08-2008, 03:37 PM
Remember, Every "Up" has a "Down" on the other side unless you intend to get a ride down from the top it's nice to have a bike that handles both well rather than just concentrating on the "up"

Good luck.

Pete Serotta
07-08-2008, 04:19 PM
A Carbon, Ti, or a combination of the two will work well. A carbon will be lighter by a few ounces (less that 8 ounces all things being equal). A combination of both material actually can give you the best of both materials but will be 6 to 8 ounces on average heavier. The ti is a wonderful ride, a little heavier, hard to say how much because I do not know your size needed or the build characteristics.

I am speaking SEROTTA vs SEROTTA and these are approximate weight differences based on some weights that Serotta James did in the past.

All can be made to handle/ride as you wish (this is value of custom). THe ride will have a subtle difference but not a pleasant verses unpleasant one.

At this point it depends on what you like and the budget you are allocating.

Lastly, a good set of wheels picked for your type riding, terrain, and weight is also something that I would suggest you factor in.

Good luck in the hunt, and as others have said the more brands/models you ride the better you will be able to quantify what you like and do not like.

PETE

hansolo758
07-08-2008, 07:02 PM
Carbon is good for stiffness. Ti for smooth ride. Right? If I like long rides and uphill should I choose ti, cf or a combination of both? I want a light bike of course.

I'll be the contrarian here and re-emphasize the point that weight and materials are over-rated when it comes to bicycle frames. Design and its fraternal twin, fit, are more important than either of them. It's true that rotating weight is important, so lighter wheels would help more than a lighter frame. Don't believe all the hype you might hear or read about the alleged benefits of one material over another.

shanerpvt
07-08-2008, 07:21 PM

Neither.......Steel. Specifically a JKS. I think Jack B is having one made for double centuries at a target weight at 14-14.5 lb.

http://www.kirkframeworks.com/index.htm

Dave's the best.

cheers,
shaner

1centaur
07-08-2008, 08:06 PM
I will live up to my subheading and say that doing test rides will tell you, at some point, whether all these comments on frame materials are true for you. I found carbon fiber frames to be different from metal, and better for my taste, and no amount of metal-loving comments from others will persuade me otherwise. I don't agree that any material can be made to feel any way within the context of a lightish frame.

All this is not to say that those who think Ti is smooth, or steel is smooth, are not being truthful - they are. Each person perceives frame resonance a little differently. Only you can know how you feel, and I guarantee that bicycle forums will have plenty of people who like every frame material (though I note no "aluminum is smooth" comments here, which should be a hint). Go test - it's fun..if your LBS has decent bikes and good people.

Peter P.
07-08-2008, 08:31 PM
Wrong. Any of the current materials can be made to ride any way you like.

Now, start asking questions of specific frames you are interested in; that will head you in the right direction. And of course, Serotta offers all those materials!

happycampyer
07-08-2008, 09:17 PM
I was in the same situation as you several years ago, but I wasn't enlightened enough to ask that question. Over those several years, I have bought a number of road bikes (and sold fewer than I should have, but that's another story). The first wave was all carbon, then I discovered ti (initially by way of a ti mtb) and my last purchase was a mix of carbon + ti. It has taken me a while to figure out what characteristics are really important to me, and I know that my favorite bikes today I would not have considered when I first started out. Also, as I have learned more about fit, my priorities regarding sizing/geometry have evolved, too (longer TT; taller HT; certain front-end geos and chainstay lengths, etc.).

So, as others have said, getting a bike that fits you well (at least today) is more important than material. Test rides help, although I find that it takes longer than a test ride to fully appreciate what I like and don't like about a bike, so the more extended the test ride the better. You might also want to consider a used bike for starters. After a couple of different bikes, I recently bought my wife a used steel bike (granted, it's a Vanilla) and every time we ride she remarks how she has never been so comfortable on a bike.

So do your homework and buy a bike only after you feel comfortable with your decision (and don't base that decision on what you read or what someone tells you). But realize also that, over time, what you like and dislike will become more apparent to you.

dekindy
07-08-2008, 10:29 PM
If you are not aware, Sheldon Brown (RIP) is well known for his website and explaining everything bicycling. Here is a link that discusses frame materials and also the design factor and tire/wheel in regard to bike handling, comfort, etc.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/frame-materials.html

This is an LBS in my town that summarizes frame material choices and what is practical in each price range.

http://circlecitybicycles.com/bframmat.htm

I found this the other day. The whole white paper is good reading and page 4 has a table summarizing what Calfee considers to be the advantages and disadvantages of each material and the white paper discusses in detail aluminum, carbon, and carbon/aluminum combinations.

http://www.calfeedesign.com/pdf/Calfee_TWP.pdf

bagochips3
07-08-2008, 10:54 PM
Agree with others who say fit is the most important part and to test ride as much as possible. Take your pedals in to your LBS, talk with them, try out a bike they recommend, and try to take it on a short hill if you can (see how it goes up and how it handles coming back down).

I recently test rode 2 all carbon bikes; a Specialized Roubaix and a Trek Madone. Even though they were both all carbon, they rode very very differently. The Roubaix was soft and comfortable and (to me) boring. The Madone was smooth and peppy and gave a lot of road feel. Both are great bikes and do their particular thing very well. Same material, 2 very different rides. Which one was for me? Neither. But I wouldn't know that if I didn't take 'em for a spin myself.

Eric

Peter B
07-08-2008, 10:56 PM
I'll be the contrarian here and re-emphasize the point that weight and materials are over-rated when it comes to bicycle frames. Design and its fraternal twin, fit, are more important than either of them. It's true that rotating weight is important, so lighter wheels would help more than a lighter frame. Don't believe all the hype you might hear or read about the alleged benefits of one material over another.

+1

Fit should be one of the two primary considerations in choosing a bike. You first need to know your three contact points--your position. Properly placing those three points over the wheels based on your riding style and intentions for the bike determines the design (geometry), which is the second consideration. If it doesn't fit and if it doesn't handle correctly based on your intended use you'll be uncomfortable and potentially unsafe and you won't ride it.

The materials used to achieve the first two objectives and the weight of the finished product are secondary questions at best. You can achieve excellent fit, function and feel in carbon, ti or steel, and at a weight of ~18 lbs or less without breaking the bank. Remember, the frame will account for only about 20% of that total. Unless you're at pro/1/2 level of fitness, weight will not be the limiting factor in your performance or satisfaction.

You haven't told us (in this thread) about your fitness, experience, body shape, budget, riding style, annual mileage, location or local terrain, so it's hard to get into more specifics. Are you a novice or a life long rider? Do you ride 30 miles a week or 300? Racer or randonneur or both? Self-supported cross country tourist? Looking for a different way to build fitness for mountain biking? Recovering/rehabilitating from an injury? Where do you hope to be as a cyclist this time next year? And the year after that?

Do you know your position? Do you have the experience to know the geometry that works for your body and riding style? Do you have a relationship with a trusted builder or fitter or shop to assist you in the process?

There's no correct answers except the ones you choose. And the choices will inform you/your fitter/builder/salesperson in getting the bike that will best help you reach those goals.

Welcome to the forum. Try taking a bit of time with the decision process, keep asking questions and let it be fun!

Peter

TAW
07-09-2008, 09:07 AM
How did you determine this?!?

She posted in the bike fit section that she was a lightweight. But then again, it's usually best to assume that all ladies are light. ;)

SadieKate
07-09-2008, 09:12 AM
+1

Fit should be one of the two primary considerations in choosing a bike. You first need to know your three contact points--your position. Properly placing those three points over the wheels based on your riding style and intentions for the bike determines the design (geometry), which is the second consideration. If it doesn't fit and if it doesn't handle correctly based on your intended use you'll be uncomfortable and potentially unsafe and you won't ride it.

The materials used to achieve the first two objectives and the weight of the finished product are secondary questions at best. You can achieve excellent fit, function and feel in carbon, ti or steel, and at a weight of ~18 lbs or less without breaking the bank. Remember, the frame will account for only about 20% of that total. Unless you're at pro/1/2 level of fitness, weight will not be the limiting factor in your performance or satisfaction.

You haven't told us (in this thread) about your fitness, experience, body shape, budget, riding style, annual mileage, location or local terrain, so it's hard to get into more specifics. Are you a novice or a life long rider? Do you ride 30 miles a week or 300? Racer or randonneur or both? Self-supported cross country tourist? Looking for a different way to build fitness for mountain biking? Recovering/rehabilitating from an injury? Where do you hope to be as a cyclist this time next year? And the year after that?

Do you know your position? Do you have the experience to know the geometry that works for your body and riding style? Do you have a relationship with a trusted builder or fitter or shop to assist you in the process?

There's no correct answers except the ones you choose. And the choices will inform you/your fitter/builder/salesperson in getting the bike that will best help you reach those goals.

Welcome to the forum. Try taking a bit of time with the decision process, keep asking questions and let it be fun!

PeterThe original contrarian in this thread posting here . . . .

Best comprehensive advice yet. Brings everything together.

WadePatton
07-09-2008, 11:11 AM
If you buy a hand-built, the fitting is done before the tubes are joined--with more consideration given to you and your riding in all aspects of the materials.

just sayin.

bike <3'er
07-09-2008, 11:36 AM
Steel.

You're/we're not winning Le Tour, two pounds of extra weight doesn't matter, it's comfortable and as fast as you make it go.

Steel.