PDA

View Full Version : Campag 26.8 front mech (or not)

bnewt07
07-07-2008, 08:00 AM
I searched the forum and can see some other people have noticed this but perhaps someone can help.

I was just about to treat myself to a nice steel Salsa Caseroll as a general muck-about-in-bad-weather-and-not-trying-too-hard sort of bike when I noticed the 26.8mm front band-on front mech. I'm stripping the groupset from my old windter trainer which is a Centaur 10sp Triple 32mm band-on. Now I discover I cannot get a 26.8mm Campag mech!

How do I sort this without changing the entire groupset?

Can I buy some sort of adapter?
Do I just have to hope I can find an old compatible mech?
Would anything by Shimano work (or even fit?)

I really like the look of the frame so I'll be gutted if this stops me buying it. Anyone else been tempted by this steel cutie?

musgravecycles
07-07-2008, 08:07 AM
Give Richard Sachs a jingle, he's got 28.6 clamps for them (you can swap the clamps)...

bnewt07
07-07-2008, 09:26 AM
Give Richard Sachs a jingle, he's got 28.6 clamps for them (you can swap the clamps)...

..as I'm in the UK I'll try to work out the time zones and do that. I presume we are talking Richard Sachs Cycles here? Sorry to be so ignorant!

Dave
07-07-2008, 09:30 AM
You can get a 28.6mm braze-on adapter from Excel Sports or many other sources. You could also shim the 32mm clamp.

I always use a braze-on adapter and consider it to be part of the frame.

http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?page=8&description=Front+Derailleur+Clamp+Adaptor&vendorCode=PS&major=1&minor=33

bnewt07
07-07-2008, 10:00 AM
You can get a 28.6mm braze-on adapter from Excel Sports or many other sources. You could also shim the 32mm clamp.

I always use a braze-on adapter and consider it to be part of the frame.

http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?page=8&description=Front+Derailleur+Clamp+Adaptor&vendorCode=PS&major=1&minor=33

That looks like just the gizmo. I'll ring a local shop and see what I can find. Thanks

musgravecycles
07-07-2008, 10:01 AM
..as I'm in the UK I'll try to work out the time zones and do that. I presume we are talking Richard Sachs Cycles here? Sorry to be so ignorant!

We're 4hrs behind ya'll right now.

There are "braze-on adapters" available (most any lbs can order one), but what Sachs has is the genuine Campagnolo clamp, as if you'd bought a 28.6 der to begin with. Give him a call, he'll fix you up proper. (860) 526-2059

weiwentg
07-07-2008, 12:13 PM

can you convert a clamp derailleur to a braze on in the same way?

musgravecycles
07-07-2008, 12:41 PM
Yes...