PDA

View Full Version : "Woven look" bar tape

PCR
07-06-2008, 10:34 PM
Anyone have a photo of a two color bar tape scheme? I have seen tape woven in a "basket weave" pattern and want to do one myself. Any help?
Thanks!

CaptStash
07-06-2008, 10:43 PM
Just for the fun of it I did this on my son's bike. It's awfully fussy to get right but does look sort of cool. I used old fashioned cloth tape.

Instructions on how to do it are Here (http://www.wastedlife.org/bike/harlequin/index.html)

THis is a phot of my son's bike (which he managed to kick my a$$ on today. :beer:

Louis
07-06-2008, 11:37 PM
Just for the fun of it I did this on my son's bike. It's awfully fussy to get right but does look sort of cool. I used old fashioned cloth tape.

I have but three things to say:

1) I find that wrapping the "regular" way is hard enough, going out of your way to do this is plain nuts. (Of course, I only have to do it once or twice a year.)

2) Apparently some folks have a bit too much time on their hands.

3) It does look cool. :cool:

Louis

Kevan
07-07-2008, 08:57 AM
black and white Ridley using black and white cork tape. The basket weave approach looked to me as if they ran two strips of tape following the top and bottom conture of the bar, from end to stem. There likely was a cut at the brake lever. My guess is these two strips were both the same color, let's say white. Then with the black tape it followed the conventional wrapping approach except that the white tape was passed over or under the two white pieces in counter and repeated fashion, making the basket weave. The shop owner at the time said he wasn't sure it would hold up to use, but it was damn cool looking on that killer bike.

That's my guess as how it's done. Remember....leftside is wound clockwise and rightside done counter. I doubt the white strips werre tucked into the bar end, rather it was taped into place and then held in place by the black tape and its adhesive backing.

trophyoftexas
07-07-2008, 09:10 AM
...of something like you are talkiing about that I have ever seen...gonna try it in black and yellow on the single speed I'm working on. Click on the "link" once you get to this page that is fifth down on the right....VERY COOL! http://www.vanillabicycles.com/frames/commuter/4/index.shtml

sc53
07-07-2008, 09:39 AM
Someone posted instructions on how to wrap this way (it was called "harlequin" style in the thread) a few months back. Search the forum or google "harlequin bar wrap" and see if you can find it. Detailed, step by step instructions--nevertheless IMO NOT achievable by most people but perhaps you are gifted.

Cinci Jim
07-07-2008, 10:30 AM
And CaptStash posted the only real link on how to do it that I was able to find. I have yet to try it, as I have yet to build up the bike I want to do it on. I figure I'll give it a try and if it does not work I'll do it the normal way.

Satellite
07-07-2008, 01:38 PM
I have been wanting to do this for a long time I am glad I seen this thread.

Does anyone know where I can find the Cateye Cotton Handlebar Tape?

I found this in my internet search; looks like a good sale on Brooks leather wrap.

http://www.speedgoat.com/productB.asp?part=115031&cat=36&brand=35

Satellite

CaptStash
07-07-2008, 09:46 PM
It turned out to be pretty easy to do. I think with a little practice (and some tape you are willing to throw away after practicing) you could do a good job. I do not think it is beyond most people's capabilities. the instructions are pretty concise.

CaptStash....