PDA

View Full Version : Arione riders?

jmeloy
07-06-2008, 03:45 PM
Got one from a fellow forumite and have been riding it a couple of months. Was thinking it was ok for 15-20 miles but got less and less comfortable the further I rode. HOWEVER, on a ride yesterday I silde my keester forward about an inch or so and all of a sudden it was MUCH better. Did I luck into the right way to sit on this saddle or is it just a tweak that won't last (may need to slide seat back a touch to return fit to where I was?)
JAM

sokyroadie
07-06-2008, 03:55 PM
I am a big fan of that saddle and have it on 3 bikes, I think the key for me is to have it dead level and I usually don't ride on the very tail. It is so long you have lots of position choices.

Jeff

learlove
07-06-2008, 04:12 PM
I had one and sold it as it was alittle hard for me. however I really liked the long length as sometimes I like to shift way back on the saddle then sometimes forward (lots of room to move like the above guy said). Just wish it had alittle more padding FWIW. I replaced it with a sell itala gel flow.

gone
07-06-2008, 04:21 PM
I've got it on 4 bikes and have logged many miles on them including multiple hundred+ mile days (6-10 in a row).

You've hit on the best thing about the saddle: it is so long it gives you more places to go over a long ride. This, in addition to its basic shape is what makes it so comfortable over the long haul.

As to basic positioning, I agree with Jeff: dead level is best, not even the smallest amount of up or down tilt. I also find that my "opening position" i.e., where I sit at the start of a ride, tends to be just a bit forward. Not out on the nose mind you but not all the way back either.

Yes, it's firm but I think more padding would be detrimental and feel that with proper positioning would be superfluous anyway.

thinpin
07-06-2008, 06:49 PM
Started using the Arione a few weeks ago. I'm stll tweeking the position. With regards to the "dead level" comments what exactly do you mean as there are 2 distinct slopes on the saddle. Nose-tail dead level or front portion level or rear end level?

learlove
07-06-2008, 07:02 PM
I set mine level like the above guys said. level as in ground to tip height is equil to ground to rear of saddle height.

Keith A
07-06-2008, 08:01 PM
This saddle has come up for discussion several time and most recently in this thread (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=45223). This is some good input in there and would suggest you take a look at it.

djg21
07-06-2008, 08:06 PM
Started using the Arione a few weeks ago. I'm stll tweeking the position. With regards to the "dead level" comments what exactly do you mean as there are 2 distinct slopes on the saddle. Nose-tail dead level or front portion level or rear end level?

When you level the saddle, place a carpenters level on the front 3/4 of the saddle, as the tail rises up slightly.

bagochips3
07-07-2008, 12:34 PM
I've been riding the Airone for about 2 years now. I dig it. I agree that the best position is found by leveling the front part of the saddle.

However: I recently test rode a bunch of bikes and almost all of them had more comfortable (to me) saddles. And they all were "non-flat" saddles. I'm going to try the Aliante on my new bike and see how it goes.

alancw3
07-07-2008, 12:57 PM
I am a big fan of that saddle and have it on 3 bikes, I think the key for me is to have it dead level and I usually don't ride on the very tail. It is so long you have lots of position choices.

Jeff

ditto for me! the best saddle i have ridden in 40+ years but it is really ugly looking. who cares if it works. i can ride on it for 50+ miles and never get sore.