PDA

View Full Version : OT: Whitefish, MT

thejen12
07-05-2008, 03:38 PM
Is anyone familiar with the Whitefish, Montana area? I will need to get from the Kalispell airport to the Whitefish High School for the start of my tour. Google says to take US-2 to MT-40 to US-93 to 4th Street, 11.7 miles.

What I'm wondering is if this is rideable by bicycle? All my stuff will be at the high school already, but I will need to return my rental car to the airport. I was wondering if I could just ride from the airport to the high school, or if I'll needed to be transported by car. I'm not sure how big these highways are.

Thanks for any advice! The tour starts in two weeks.

Jenn

OtayBW
07-05-2008, 04:01 PM
Been a few years since I've been up there, but as I recall, you should be plenty fine. You might want to contact this LBS in Kalispell to get the real low down: http://www.wheatonscycle.com/

Ozz
07-05-2008, 05:55 PM
whitefish is a cool little town....a friend of mine got married there after college. Good times. (Great Northern and Bulldog taverns were fun).

Roads seemed fine...not too much traffic (compared to Seattle ;) ) and no one seems to be in a real hurry.

Visit Glacier while you're there. I would not recommend riding Going to the Sun road however. It is a bout 10 ft wide in places with every yahoo with an RV driving it. Very cool if you drive it though.

Beautiful country. Don't tell anyone...

Have fun.

sam.g
07-05-2008, 06:39 PM
Been there twice, once was for a Cycle America tour which also started at the high school the other was for a JDRF century. A lot of touring riders pass through Whitefish and the town is very cycling friendly. I was with a few friends so we split the cost of a cab from Kalispel into Whitefish. However if you ride in, where are you storing your bike box? Check out Glacier Cyclery, a great shop and good for local advice.

I dissagree with the comment about "Going to the Sun road". This is a not to be missed ride, definately climb it, in fact I climbed it two days in a row last August. You'll have to time this, as the road is closed to cyclsts fom 11:00AM to I think 4:00PM. We spent some time hiking at the summit, bring your own food, there's very little at the ranger station.

Sam in Cincy

rsl
07-07-2008, 08:18 AM
Jen,

I'll check with my wife and see what she says. She grew up in this exact area, so I bet she would know.

Don't miss Glacier if you've got the time. It's absolutely stunning. My wife and I have been going to Montana for two weeks every July for the past few years, but had to skip it this year. Wow, I am seriously missing it!

bironi
07-07-2008, 09:22 AM
Are you touring with a commercial touring company, if so, which one. I rode thru Glacier a couple times. Once with a tour company, once with friends doing our own support. Make sure to check out Many Glacier Lodge, do ride Going to the Sun. I still have my Glacier Cycling cap from many years back.

Have fun. :beer:

David Kirk
07-07-2008, 09:25 AM
We have a forum member who lives up there. His screen name is "MRB". He's a very good guy and I'll bet he could help you out. You might send him a note.

Dave

thejen12
07-07-2008, 11:23 AM
Thanks, everyone!

I'm doing the Cycle America tour of Glacier/Waterton parks. We will be riding up Going to the Sun Road. :)

I'm driving to Whitefish from the airport in Spokane, and will have the car to deliver my and my husband's stuff to the ride start, but need to return the car to the Kalispell airport and get back to the ride start somehow. If I can ride it, then I can avoid the $20 charge for the shuttle provided by the tour organizers. Then again, I'd be starting the tour with one set of already dirty cycling clothes, hmm, just thought of that....

Jenn

Lazy Bill
07-07-2008, 05:33 PM
Thanks, everyone!

We will be riding up Going to the Sun Road. :)

Jenn
I saw they were having trouble opening the road at logan pass because of all the snow. I hope its ready to go when you are there, but there was 10 ft. on the road just a few days ago.
Absolutely one of the most beautiful places I've seen.
2nd Many Glaciers Lodge - spectacular scenery.

ericspin
07-07-2008, 06:49 PM
Don't know anything about Whitefish except that all my wonder drugs.........errr, supplements come from there........home of Hammer Nutrition.