PDA

View Full Version : Looks like Tom Kellog......

A.L.Breguet
07-05-2008, 01:06 PM
...broke his collarbone at an office park crit in Bethlehem this a.m.
I was lining up for the start of the 40+ when there was a crash in the sprint for the 50+. He was on the ground quite a while, and was eventually taken away in an ambulance. He had the telltale posture of a busted collarbone.
Bummer.

Lifelover
07-05-2008, 01:14 PM
That Sucks!

I hope he heals quick!

Ray
07-05-2008, 01:19 PM
Bummer. I hope he heals quickly. I hope it wasn't him, but I hope whoever it was heals quickly. Hang in there Tom, if you read this...

-Ray

Pete Serotta
07-05-2008, 01:35 PM
Hope he is not out for the summer and most of the season.....PETE

Ray
07-05-2008, 01:38 PM
Hope he is not out for the summer and most of the season.....PETE
?????????????????????????? You and Tom get in a fight, or is that a typo Pete??

-Ray

abqhudson
07-05-2008, 01:51 PM
Tom - get well soon!

hansolo758
07-05-2008, 01:55 PM

-Ray

I thought Pete meant Tom deserved a summer off......I know I'd like a summer off.

Sandy
07-05-2008, 01:56 PM

-Ray

He must left out the word "not". Pete would never say that about anyone (he did but I am sure he didn't mean it).

Sandy

Pete Serotta
07-05-2008, 02:06 PM
Thanks Sandy, YES I did leave out NOT> I even sent him a private email (and did include the NOT. I have known Tom for over 20 years and you could not ask to meet a nicer guy!!!

He must left out the word "not". Pete would never say that about anyone (he did but I am sure he didn't mean it).

Sandy

Pete Serotta
07-05-2008, 02:08 PM
Thanks Ray....I read one way and type independent and you all see what happens,,,, ugh~~

-Ray

Ray
07-05-2008, 02:42 PM
Thanks Ray....I read one way and type independent and you all see what happens,,,, ugh~~
I assumed as much. Doesn't getting old suck? :beer:

learlove
07-05-2008, 03:33 PM
sorry to hear it tom, hope your back on the bike soon.

david
07-05-2008, 07:40 PM
tom is an animal.

he'll be back soon.

Tom Kellogg
07-05-2008, 08:40 PM
Yup, it sucks. ER Doc said my clavicle is in "a lot" of pieces. It kinda' feels like it. Bunch of road rash, bruises, small tear in right shoulder. I go to see the guy who puts me back together on Monday.

My cousins, Rob & Tracy Lea were at the race and took care of me at the scene and my stuff while I was in the hospital. June just shook her head and is trying to make me more comfortable. Bless her heart.

Season is over, but it was really fun while it lasted. What a hoot. See Y'all next year. :beer:

Sandy
07-05-2008, 09:25 PM
Very sorry to hear about your accident and the extent of your injuries. Hope that it will not be too difficult for you to build and paint your bikes.

May you progress at a satisfactory rate, with a full recovery.

Sandy

Peter P.
07-05-2008, 09:55 PM
Tom, we DO love you here, but can you still hold a spray gun? Your customers are gonna go nuts!

Hopefully you can at least type and hang out here. Get well soon.

mikki
07-05-2008, 10:11 PM
Hi Tom,

So sorry about your accident. Just wondering if you take extra calcium/magnesium with regularity? As I'm sure you know, Bill Holland was in an accident a few years ago and it was a result of that accident (many bones broken) that he learned he had osteoporosis, which I have since learned many cyclists have without knowing it.

Wishing you a comfortable and speedy recovery.

Louis
07-05-2008, 10:14 PM
Bummer, Tom.

Now get on a spinning bike with a 100 lb flywheel and work on technique. Your legs and one arm are still fine, so there are no excuses :D

Sandy
07-05-2008, 10:15 PM
Bummer, Tom.

Now get on a spinning bike with a 100 lb flywheel and work on technique. Your legs and one arm are still fine, so there are no excuses :D

Tough Crowd!! :D

Sandy

soulspinner
07-06-2008, 06:36 AM
Heal fast Mr. Kellog-the cycling world needs your skills...

Johny
07-06-2008, 06:51 AM
Tom,

Sorry about your injury. Heal fast.

John

It's good to know that you can still type...we look forwad to reading more of your insight. :)

djg
07-06-2008, 01:59 PM
Sorry to hear about the crash Tom. I hope that they have you back together before long.

Samster
07-06-2008, 03:44 PM
ouch. best wishes for a quick and painfree recovery...

-sam

johnnymossville
07-06-2008, 07:43 PM
I was at the PA State Masters Road Race and "Saw" Tom but didn't introduce myself. How lame is that? sheesh.

Get well soon Tom, Seeya at the races!

John.

flickwet
07-06-2008, 09:14 PM
Hey Tom, get back to doing what you do when you feel up to doing that thing you do....oh so well

WadePatton
07-06-2008, 09:22 PM
Stuff is going to happen if you ride. Hate that it happened to you. Minimal pain and fast full recovery to you TK.

WP

93legendti
07-06-2008, 09:36 PM
Get better quickly Tom!

Tom Kellogg
07-07-2008, 09:58 AM
Jeff drove me to see Neal Stansbury (our local sports med Orthopedist and incredible road racer) this morning. Yup, I messed up. I go under the knife Wednesday afternoon to plate the clavicle, then on to the MRI to check out what appears to be a torn rotator cuff. The cracked ribs will take care of themselves.

My hope is that the operation will get me back in the paint booth much quicker than waiting to heal naturally would. Neal indicated that it would save me about four weeks of recovery. If I wasn't trying to paint and do all the other over-the-head work that I do, it wouldn't be any big deal, but I have to get back in the booth.

Anyway, I want to thank everyone so much for your notes you have sent me. I had started to get E-mails and messages before I even got back from the hospital. It is a wonderful thing to hear from so many people when you are feeling uncomfortable. Again, thank you so much for your thoughts. Take care.

Kevan
07-07-2008, 10:24 AM
http://www.cooperstownbrewing.com/beer_files/backyard2.jpg

and there's Netflix to boot.

Sandy
07-07-2008, 10:30 AM
Jeff drove me to see Neal Stansbury (our local sports med Orthopedist and incredible road racer) this morning. Yup, I messed up. I go under the knife Wednesday afternoon to plate the clavicle, then on to the MRI to check out what appears to be a torn rotator cuff. The cracked ribs will take care of themselves.

My hope is that the operation will get me back in the paint booth much quicker than waiting to heal naturally would. Neal indicated that it would save me about four weeks of recovery. If I wasn't trying to paint and do all the other over-the-head work that I do, it wouldn't be any big deal, but I have to get back in the booth.

Anyway, I want to thank everyone so much for your notes you have sent me. I had started to get E-mails and messages before I even got back from the hospital. It is a wonderful thing to hear from so many people when you are feeling uncomfortable. Again, thank you so much for your thoughts. Take care.

If in fact it is a torn rotator cuff, the over-the-head work (on that side of your body) probably could not be done. I would guess that you cannot lift that arm straight up. Question, or should I say something that I am wondering about- Would it not be possible to get the MRI on your rotator cuff prior to the clavicle sugery, and if in fact the rotator cuff is torn, do both surgeries at the same time, if in fact it would not be too difficult a recovery process, if it was done that way? Clavicle and rotator cuff injuries on opposite sides? Is there a time interval after a rotator cuff tear for which surgery should be done for optimal results?

You certainly appear to be handling the injuries extremely well.

A smooth and satisfactory recovery process to you.

Sandy

Tom Kellogg
07-07-2008, 01:09 PM
The clavicle break is on the left and the possible rotator issue is on the right. that really is the issue. My guess at this point is that we won't end up doing surgery on the right side, but lots of PT. We'll see. I have had a bad rotator cuff tear (left) before and I did need surgery for that one, this is not nearly as bad. Thanks for your thoughts.

Pete Serotta
07-07-2008, 01:55 PM
Best of luck on Wednesday. My neighbor just had his right side rotator cup done.

PETE

Ginger
07-07-2008, 02:34 PM
cracked ribs? So people are sending you lots of jokes to laugh at?

Heal fast!

Mary Ann

SadieKate
07-07-2008, 03:41 PM
The clavicle break is on the right and the possible rotator issue is on the right. that really is the issue. Wow, you can't even fly in circles with both wings clipped.

Heal fast. Be a good patient. ;)

Mud
07-07-2008, 04:05 PM
He sounds fine and really is appreciative of the well wishers.

Sandy
07-07-2008, 06:33 PM
He sounds fine and really is appreciative of the well wishers.

I think he sounds fine because he is one tough dude.

Sandy

paczki
07-07-2008, 06:34 PM
Feel better :beer:

dschlichting
07-07-2008, 08:58 PM
Best Wishes for a speedy recovery.

thejen12
07-08-2008, 11:04 AM
Best of luck on Wednesday! By the way, I'm sure people will understand if they have to wait a few more weeks for their bikes. I hope!! I would. :)

Jenn

dave1215
07-14-2008, 08:16 AM
holy moley, i take an extended internet holiday and come back to this terrible news. tom, hope all is well with you and your clavicle - best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Ahneida Ride
07-14-2008, 08:47 AM
Tom

Godspeed to a full recovery !

H1449-6
07-14-2008, 09:19 AM
TK: hope you fully recover and are back on the saddle/torch/CAD program/paint booth soon. The cycling community needs you.

Mike

SadieKate
07-21-2008, 10:21 AM
Just spoke to Jeff who "wishes he (Tom) would up date" the forums so the calls asking about Tom would stop. :)

Apparently, Tom has been back to riding for a week now so things are looking good.

Tom Kellogg
07-21-2008, 12:25 PM
That's right ... I'm OK. I have been back at work for a week now. I can even do the final sanding steps for the final clear coats that I had feared would be an issue.

I met with Neal Stansbury (my Dr. and teammate) this morning for another round of X-Rays and evaluation. It all looks good. It turns out that there were only five major pieces that Neal had to put back together along with an uncertain number of little "chips." The plate looks very cool in the X-Ray. Seven screws and the plate. Now my left side matches my right side. Maybe I will now be able to ride straight.

I rode last Wednesday for about 15 miles. Felt like crap. Everything hurt except my legs. Rode again on Saturday for about 45 and felt much better. No real power, but not like a fish out of water. Rode again yesterday in 95 degrees. Again, no power, but everything else felt fine. Neal told me that I will remain kind of weak (more than normal) until the clavicle is mostly healed. At this point, the only things that continue to bother me are the broken ribs and, to a lesser degree, my right shoulder. Each day is better, but except that I can't race, I am not being held back. So ...

Thank you everyone for your well wishes, messages, calls, cards, E-mails and even your large offers of untraceable cash. (I will have to get back to you on that Pablo) Episode over, back to work and real life.

Kane
07-21-2008, 12:34 PM
-When you get the rental ice machine/shoulder pack, keep that thing for three months at least. Ice works great.
-A vitamin company called, JARROW, sells 'Bone Up'. This has the usual CA++/Mg. Additionally it has the other co-factors for healing like Boron etc.
I recommend this to all my fracture patients.
-Another vitamin company called, NOW, sells a high quality fish oil, (Omega Three Fatty Acids). Fish Oil is useful as an anti-inflammatory if you get the dosage up to 3 grams, (3,000 mg). Traditional NSAIDS, (aspirin, motrin, Ibprofin, Allieve), cause liver, kidney damage and they kill more people than AIDS. Do not mix anti-inflammatory medication with alcohol because it intensifies the GI bleeding.
-Ask for a PT who can do ART, (Active Release Technique). This is a relatively advanced deep tissue work with motion for the right side.

I've enjoyed and mined your website/posts for years and it is nice to be able to give something in return. Heal Fast/ Ride when it's safe.

Cheers,

Kane

ClutchCargo
07-22-2008, 07:15 AM
Glad to hear you're recovering well.
Hope that plate and screws are ti !

cheers :)

Ray
07-22-2008, 07:55 AM
No real power, but not like a fish out of water. Rode again yesterday in 95 degrees. Again, no power, but everything else felt fine.

Thank you everyone for your well wishes, messages, calls, cards, E-mails and even your large offers of untraceable cash. (I will have to get back to you on that Pablo) Episode over, back to work and real life.
Now you know what riding feels like for most of your customers! Keep healing well and if you need any help disposing of the untraceable cash, lemme know - I'm nearby and can get there in a flash!

-Ray

keno
07-22-2008, 08:02 AM
Jeff may have mentioned that Lehman and I and a few other training guys dropped by Thursday. We had to wake him up from napping in the chair near your back door. He mentioned something about splitting wood, maybe a euphemism for sawing wood. Anyhow, we were very happy to hear the report that you missed only one day of work and had been riding. Pull ups seemed a bit extreme to us all, so please stop doing them.

Best for a quick recovery.

BTW, you best put a muzzle on Colby. She is viscious.

Ken

barry1021
07-22-2008, 09:15 AM
not only an artisan, but one tough guy. I would still be on the couch, yelling for ice cream.

b21

Ray
07-22-2008, 10:31 AM
not only an artisan, but one tough guy. I would still be on the couch, yelling for ice cream.

b21
That describes me pretty well, with or without injury.

-Ray