PDA

View Full Version : Are 10spd Campy Carbon Record Derailleurs Noisy?

jberenyi
07-04-2008, 11:09 AM
Let me clarify the title. I have both the alloy and carbon style 10spd Campy Record derailleurs on my bikes. And what I have noticed is that the newer carbon style seems to have a louder ambient drivetrain noise especially when doing about a 90+ cadence. No matter how sweetly I tune the drivetrain it always seems inherently louder. Just curious if others have noted this.

Erik.Lazdins
07-04-2008, 11:23 AM
I noticed when I went from an alloy Chorus rear der to the carbon Record there was a slightly different-more noticeable drivetrain sound - Once the Ultra narrow 5.9mm chain came out it quieted down somewhat.

I thought the sound difference is due from the different resonances of the materials.

I also noticed the same thing in frames. I had an oclv Trek which I liked a lot, once I rode a steel bike I noticed the steel was seemingly quieter. Not a big difference, but certainly gave me things to ponder during my rides.

jberenyi
07-04-2008, 11:43 AM
I noticed when I went from an alloy Chorus rear der to the carbon Record there was a slightly different-more noticeable drivetrain sound - Once the Ultra narrow 5.9mm chain came out it quieted down somewhat.

I thought the sound difference is due from the different resonances of the materials.

I also noticed the same thing in frames. I had an oclv Trek which I liked a lot, once I rode a steel bike I noticed the steel was seemingly quieter. Not a big difference, but certainly gave me things to ponder during my rides.

I have to agree with you on material resonance. I notice a huge difference on my Ti frame when I'm in either the steel cog or Ti cog with my Record cassette. If that's the case with cogs there must be the same situation happening with frame materials. I love Ti frames but they are definitely more resonant than steel. Just tap one on the top tube and you'll see what I mean.

Mud
07-04-2008, 01:43 PM
There are a number of threads on it and it does make the bike run quieter.

jberenyi
07-04-2008, 06:19 PM
There are a number of threads on it and it does make the bike run quieter.

What's the link?

Mud
07-05-2008, 06:59 AM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=22338