PDA

View Full Version : Titanium repair question?

rsl
07-03-2008, 08:15 PM
A friend of a friend just cracked the weld on a chainstay on his litespeed. My friend (not the owner of the bike) has a lot of machinest/welder connections, and was going to have a local welding shop repair it.

I suggested finding a local framebuilder to do the repair instead (if possible, that is). The bike is in South Bend, Indiana, and the owner would prefer something local, and would like it back ASAP.

My first thought was Scott Quiring, or possible one of the guys at the Madison framebuilding coop. Any other ideas?

Thanks!

Marcusaurelius
07-03-2008, 10:46 PM
I had knew someone who had a titanium frame with a crack in the chainstay. He took it to a local framebuilder who builds titanium frames and it was welded. Now it's as good as new.

Peter P.
07-04-2008, 06:40 AM
It's the stingy man that pays the most. Your friend is heading down that road.

Have Litespeed repair it and he'll never be happier.

Mud
07-04-2008, 06:49 AM
who pops in here once in a while. He is in PA.

dekindy
07-04-2008, 08:38 AM
I would send it to Litespeed or other professional that makes titanium frames as you suggested, preferably Litespeed. Make sure he understands that.

hansolo758
07-04-2008, 09:13 AM
Don't forget Cherry Bicycles, near Lafayette, IN:

http://cherry.dcwi.com/Welcome1.html

Tom Kellogg
07-04-2008, 09:59 AM
As long as the current owner is the original owner, Litespeed has a lifetime warranty. Go that route. Free.

sailorboy
07-04-2008, 10:32 AM
I don't think I could come up with a better excuse to my wife to order a new bike if I thought about it for a week.

"Look honey, it's broken; right here you can see it!"

rsl
07-04-2008, 12:51 PM
As long as the current owner is the original owner, Litespeed has a lifetime warranty. Go that route. Free.

I know, it's a bummer, because he's not the original owner.

Tom and others - best to send it to litespeed, or to a local builder?

Tom Kellogg
07-04-2008, 05:52 PM
If your local guy really knows and works with titanium regularly, then you should be OK. Some folks Poo-poo Litespeed but they do know titanium ... almost as well as Merlin does. :D

Sandy
07-04-2008, 06:07 PM
If your local guy really knows and works with titanium regularly, then you should be OK. Some folks Poo-poo Litespeed but they do know titanium ... almost as well as Merlin does. :D

........almost as well as Tom Kellogg and Colby do.

Sandy

dekindy
07-04-2008, 06:51 PM
For that matter, Roark is in Brownsburg, IN, just west of Indianapolis. I don't know if they repair other brands. They would do high quality work so it might be worth a query if they could repair it significantly faster than Litespeed. In the case of a titanium frame from such a quality manufacturer I personally would not consider anyone else unless it was going to take an unacceptable amount of time.