PDA

View Full Version : My 150 km with jacques

CSi guy
07-03-2008, 05:35 PM
So I just got back from trip to France to ride with my SOs 77 year old dad and had a wonderful time. The food was wonderful, countryside beautiful, I was 2 hours north of Geneve Swit. and enjoyed the French experience. The bike I rode was a mid 80s vitus 979 with De Girbaldy on the downtube, campy SR and 15 year old michelin tyres. We rode along freshly cut fields, an 8 mile private forest, along canals where the gypsys live, and saw a zillion older trim dudes riding in packs with 12 or so riders in matching kit. One guy struggling up a hill I was told was 82 years old. The observations I had were this...I fell in love with the bike again, the french have alot better food than most of the world and the portions and order make alot of sense, GM should take all the rest of their money and buy all the VW TDi diesel autos in France and repackage in the US so they can sell something, the formula for Coke in Europe has to be different than in the US. And finally the riders in France seem to be serious but relaxed and do not have the look of the idiots I see daily along the Cherry Creek bike path in Denver that are going way too fast for a SIDEWALK and look constipated. The lesson is slow down, smell the roses, drink the wine, and enjoy the bike. I am personally commiting to purchasing a more fuel efficient car this year and am riding the Lightrail in Denver at least 2 days a week to conserve energy. I kept looking for the ottrott village sign, but was in the wrong part of France.

Ken C
07-03-2008, 09:28 PM
And finally the riders in France seem to be serious but relaxed and do not have the look of the idiots I see daily along the Cherry Creek bike path in Denver that are going way too fast for a SIDEWALK and look constipated. .

This made me laugh out loud, I ride the Cherry Creek Path and see the same thing. If you are a serious rider the bike path should be used for a recovery ride not your personal race track. My favorite are the tri geeks riding on their aero bars on the bike path.

Disclaimer - not all those who participate in triathalons are tri geeks.

rustychisel
07-04-2008, 01:52 AM
I think you nailed it with most of your observations, but… Coke…?????

C'mon, step outside and taste the Gini. Anyway, thanks, it brough back sweet memories.

chuckroast
07-04-2008, 07:23 AM
Nice story, very evocative of the mood and the more leisurely pace of life. Coke tastes different in Mexico also and I've been told it's because they use actual sugar rather than the US formula high fructose corn syrup. Maybe the case in France also?

FlynRide
07-04-2008, 07:54 AM
It's true. The U.S. is the only country that uses HFCS in their staple foods. Coke does taste *better* outside of this country.

39cross
07-04-2008, 08:26 AM
Nice story, makes me want to go out and get a croissant and coffee. Speaking of TDI's, I noticed a couple of years ago that the Passat TDI was in common use as a taxi in Paris - it was nice comfortable and clean-burning car - wished I could have bought one. With the price of diesel having risen so much above gas, I wonder how much of an advantage in miles-per-dollar diesel now gets compared to gas.
And one more note to add to the Coke thing...I swear I can taste the difference between sugar and HFCS too - would be interesting to do a blind taste testing if you could get your hands on both.