PDA

View Full Version : Mount Dora (FL) Bike Festival

tad3
10-12-2004, 02:09 PM
Spent the weekend in Mount Dora, FL for the 30th annual Bike Festival. For many of us in Florida, these are really wonderful rolling rides with a couple of hills to keep you in shape. Rides of varying lengths and diffieculties over three days. This year's turnout was only about half of previous year's: 600 registered riders (and probably a few who just rode) due to the hurricanes and change in spending priorities. There were some gorgeous bikes there, though, lots of Serottas, and lots of carbon fiber bits hung on lots of ti and carbon bikes. Before, after, and between rides, riders hung their bikes on bike racks in front of the Chamber of Commerce and wandered up and down the racks looking at the other bikes. As in years past, there was only one bike I saw that made people stop and stare, walk around it, touch it, and talk about: a Richard Sachs 25th Anniversary, pearl white with red head tube and seat tube panel. It always draws a crowd.
tad3
Melbourne, FL

drbob
10-12-2004, 03:37 PM
I was there too...We had 16 riders from our club The Weston Flyers. I rode the CPR Century (5hrs 1 min) and the Assault on Sugarloaf (1 hour 42 minutes). I would have to agree with you, it was a much smaller turnout than in previous years, but still fun. Also, the sponsors and goodies were not nearly as numerous. I only saw one or two Serottas but did see some neat stuff........the new carbon Cosmic Carbones and the new lightweight Cannondale among other things. I'm sorry I didn't see the Richard Sachs bike, although since I've had my Ottrott, my bike envy seems to have disappeared!

pbbob
10-12-2004, 04:17 PM
I was there, for the 16th annual. sounds like it is still a good time.