PDA

View Full Version : OT: Kids and pills

thwart
07-02-2008, 08:59 PM
Are we a pill popping society or what... ?

A Placebo in the Home Medicine Cabinet

A chewable, cherry-flavored dextrose tablet will soon be marketed to parents as a placebo treatment for children.

A placebo refers to a substance with no direct pharmacologic effect that is given to reinforce a patient’s expectation to get well. The New York Times reported that a chewable, cherry-flavored dextrose tablet will soon be marketed to parents as a placebo treatment for children. To capture the imagination of prospective parents, the name of the product — Obecalp — is the word placebo spelled backward. The developer of the placebo tablet, a parent of young children, promotes the product as a way to reduce potential harm from unnecessary medications. The Times quotes several physicians and bioethicists who point out that although placebos might be useful in some situations, ". . . giving children a ‘medicine’ for every ache and pain teaches that every ailment has a cure in a bottle.

CMY
07-02-2008, 10:16 PM
My parents rarely gave me anything growing up, made me get the chicken pox and didn't worry about sterilizing everything around the house (or myself).

I haven't been sick since the chicken pox.. 21 years ago. :banana: