PDA

View Full Version : Look 586 Mondrian: How did i miss this?

KJMUNC
07-02-2008, 02:51 PM
Just ran across one of these being sold on eBay and thought I'd see if anyone has picked one up. I love the retro La Vie Clare/Mondrian nod on a new carbon frame. You'd think some other makers would consider doing similar throwback paint schemes and marketing them as limited edition considering the success of the Merckx and Colnago models.

Would be great if Thor rolled one of these on Saturday.

http://www.velonews.com/article/75935/look-it-s-1986-the-french-frame-maker-offers-a-limited

Bill Bove
07-02-2008, 04:16 PM
:banana: Frikkin Beautiful :banana:

Michael Maddox
07-02-2008, 04:19 PM
I was a big LVC fan, but surprisingly, I really don't like this particular Mondrian design. It just doesn't have the lines of the old jersey.

When I read the original announcement for these, I hoped it would be closer to the old design. This doesn't hearken back to those days to me. It looks too much like a typical modern paint job.

But then, LVC usually rode silver/white bikes, didn't they? I know their jerseys were based on "Composition A" or something, but did they ever have a bike with this paint job?

http://www.thinkcooper.com/bicycle/Look_full_sm.jpg

KJMUNC
07-02-2008, 05:06 PM
Actually I kind of like the modern interpretation of the old theme especially since LVC's bikes were rather basic but it was the jersey that really set them apart. I'd forgotten that their bikes weren't as wild as the jerseys, so at least this way they compromise between the two.

Bill Bove
07-02-2008, 05:11 PM
I always loved those LOOKs but could never afford one, the new pattern is a terrific modern day tribute to the classic.

Cool complete Mavic grupo Mike but what are the two black zip ties on the top tube for? Oops, my bad, I missed the bar cons. what no doppler retro friction levers? Still cool.

dannyg1
07-02-2008, 05:25 PM
Did Mavic make Barcons?

Danny

I was a big LVC fan, but surprisingly, I really don't like this particular Mondrian design. It just doesn't have the lines of the old jersey.

When I read the original announcement for these, I hoped it would be closer to the old design. This doesn't hearken back to those days to me. It looks too much like a typical modern paint job.

But then, LVC usually rode silver/white bikes, didn't they? I know their jerseys were based on "Composition A" or something, but did they ever have a bike with this paint job?

http://www.thinkcooper.com/bicycle/Look_full_sm.jpg

paczki
07-02-2008, 07:55 PM
That is fantastic. I might have to break the piggy bank. And a few other people's piggy banks. And maybe a real bank :banana:

Peter P.
07-02-2008, 08:50 PM
I'm not crazy about Look frames though I respect their popularity, but I certainly will compliment them on the paint scheme. I never knew of the association with Mondrian design, but whether some consider it retro or homage to the older Look frames, doesn't matter to me. It sure looks like art. It has a theme, a purpose. And someone had the gonads to actually add color to what are usually plain black carbon frames. It beats the pants off whatever Trek and Specialized are trying to do.

Look "gets it", but then again, the French always had a flair for the artistic.

Michael Maddox
07-03-2008, 07:45 AM
I always loved those LOOKs but could never afford one, the new pattern is a terrific modern day tribute to the classic.

Cool complete Mavic grupo Mike but what are the two black zip ties on the top tube for? Oops, my bad, I missed the bar cons. what no doppler retro friction levers? Still cool.

Sorry, not my bike. :)

I sold off my big Mavic group and am still looking to sell the Vitus it was on.

I WISH it was my bike, and it's giving me some ideas about my new Kirk paint scheme....

paczki
07-03-2008, 07:52 AM
Sorry, not my bike. :)

I sold off my big Mavic group and am still looking to sell the Vitus it was on.

I WISH it was my bike, and it's giving me some ideas about my new Kirk paint scheme....

MONDRIAN KIRK! DO IT :banana: :banana: :banana:

jthurow
07-03-2008, 09:12 AM
I really want to like it but the triangular panels on the new design don't do it for me. If the top tube was all yellow and the square red/white pattern on the fork were all solid, ahhhh....

jimi