PDA

View Full Version : Paint vs. Powder... what do you think?

handsomerob
07-02-2008, 02:36 PM
Given the option on a new custom steel frame, would you prefer paint or powdercoating?

They each have their own merits, so if you could support your vote with some comments please do.

Ken C
07-02-2008, 02:46 PM
Unless the frame is painted by Tom Kellogg or Joe Bell, I would go with Spectrum powder works.

I have a Gunnar that chips when you look at it wrong, I have decided to send it in to Spectrum this winter to have it powder coated by them.

However I think nearly all wet paint jobs look better, it seems like only Spectrum can duplicate a similar look. My last bike was powder coated and it was far more durable that wet paint.

WadePatton
07-02-2008, 02:47 PM
Glossy-wet

matte or satin or other- powder.

There are some limits as to what you can do with powder, and I've had both powder and paint chip about the same. Non-gloss in powder can be really dramatic with shiny bits.

That said, my current roadie is a high-gloss metallic powder (bass boat blue) by Spectrum (early 90's) and I don't think there's a chip in it--not that I log a LOT of miles. :bike:

If you go with a top notch paint/powder shop--the differences are minimized atwo.

Should be seeing a "new" bike in the morning mydangsef. wink

soulspinner
07-02-2008, 02:51 PM
Powder executed by Spectrum will be tougher. You can make regular paint application ultimately look a little better, but if you look at what Spectrum does with powder, you can be hard pressed to tell the difference.

thejen12
07-02-2008, 02:51 PM
Powder coating is a more environmentally friendly process. (Didn't realize this when I had my first custom bike painted, second one was powder coated.)

Jenn

Louis
07-02-2008, 02:52 PM
Depends on the application.

Fancy bike where looks are important, then clearly paint. Everyday rider that you don't want to worry too much about, then maybe powder, but there's plenty of durable paint out there too.

EXTREME5
07-02-2008, 03:10 PM
Depends on the application.

Fancy bike where looks are important, then clearly paint. Everyday rider that you don't want to worry too much about, then maybe powder, but there's plenty of durable paint out there too.

Like Louis said, It depends.

At this point, I would pick the powder coat and make the bike an everyday rider. :bike:

As said previously stated Spectrum should always be seriously considered. They do beautiful work. :beer:

Volant
07-02-2008, 03:28 PM
You'll have the most options with paint (Have you seen DuPont's Imron book?!). A good artist with an airbrush can really add the special touch!

Spectrum can do some awesome things with powder too, just more time consuming and expensive. But, powder tends to hold up better.

So, Show-bike=paint. Go-bike=powder.

handsomerob
07-02-2008, 04:14 PM
This bike is going to be a single color with minimal logos. It will be an everyday, all-weather conditions bike... so I was thinking that a powdercoat from Spectrum was definitely the way to go.

gdw
07-02-2008, 04:23 PM
Paint if it's made with lugs and powder if not.

michael white
07-02-2008, 05:20 PM

gets it atmo.

rphetteplace
07-02-2008, 05:38 PM
COAT trust me :cool:

Lincoln
07-02-2008, 06:37 PM
This bike is going to be a single color with minimal logos. It will be an everyday, all-weather conditions bike... so I was thinking that a powdercoat from Spectrum was definitely the way to go.

That was the info that we needed. Powder. Spectrum.

My Strong with Spectrum powder is very good looking & glossy I wouldn't have guessed it was powder if I didn't know.

palincss
07-02-2008, 06:41 PM
Given the option on a new custom steel frame, would you prefer paint or powdercoating?

They each have their own merits, so if you could support your vote with some comments please do.

Powder is very tough. It's a great finish for heavy/rough duty uses: commuting bikes, utility bikes, touring bikes.

For me, a new custom steel frame is a lugged frame, and powder is thick and obscures the detail. Of course, I wouldn't use a custom lugged steel frame as a commuter, either.

thejen12
07-02-2008, 07:11 PM
I had my custom steel commuter frame powder coated. It only has lugs at the BB and the fork crown, but they still look great, not obscured at all. The powder coating doesn't look "thick". It does seem pretty tough, though. I was drilling a bigger hole in the light-attachment-thingy on the back of my rack and was too lazy to take it off the bike first. The hole grabbed my drill bit and shot it all the way through, into the powder coated fender. (Drilling is not one of my better skills.) It scratched the fender, but only right where it touched it - no flaking, just a little scratch. Fortunately, that part of the fender is under the rack, so I didn't cry! :( You can't see it at all without looking for it, and I'm sure the scratch would stand out a lot more if it had been paint.

Jenn

stackie
07-02-2008, 09:34 PM
COAT now has one of the Spectrum guys working for them, so I'm sure some of the technology has migrated. I'd guess they're at Spectrum's level.

I had Spectrum do my Lobster. Overall, I'm ok with it. I asked them on the spec sheet to call me before doing it, which they neglected to do. The colors were a little more off from the samples that I sent, which I think we could have sorted out with a phone conversation. Also, one of the lug lines seems to have been taped somewhat hurried. But, the quality seems good. It's close enough to wet that most can't tell the difference. I haven't done the drill test for durability, but we will see. I'd probably use them again, just for a less complex job and I would avoid sending the frame in the three months before NAHMBS.

If your job is as simple as you describe, you could probably just go with a local powdercoater. The only advantage you'd get with Spectrum would be sprayed on logos and a powder clear. Well, you'd get their price.

But, I would certainly go powder for what you're describing.

Jon

dvancleve
07-02-2008, 10:19 PM

I have two recent bikes both done by Coat. Ironically the lugged one is powder coated and the fillet brazed one wet painted. Both look great, but you can tell the lugged one was powder coated. I have seen Spectrum work up close as well. To me, it looks very good but not as good as really good wet paint.

Doug

Chris
07-02-2008, 10:24 PM
Just had my Moots powdercoated at Spectrum. Call Liz, tell her what you want. Flat, glossy, whatever, you won't be disappointed. Tell her Chris, the guy with the Moots, told you to call her.