PDA

View Full Version : Rave review of Bikeinventions Squirt in Cyclingnews

FMS_rider
07-02-2008, 04:42 AM
I am a long-time ProLink convert and have not tested another chain lube in several years. However, based on the rave review in Cyclingnews I am seriously considering a trial of this stuff on a new chain since I no longer deliberately ride in wet conditions (cleanup is ADD-unfriendly).

I like ProLink because it is a good cleaner as well as lubricant, it lasts for several rides with just a wipedown in between, it attracts less grit than the alternatives I have tried, and from my experience it does seem to live up to its reputation for prolonging chain life. The primary downside is the stench while the solvent is evaporating. I am also looking for something that attracts even less grit.

Any thoughts (as opposed to baseless opinions)?

Link to the cyclingnews review: http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=tech/2008/quickspin/bikinventions_squirt_lubricant08 .

Thanks in advance,
Lew

wasfast
07-02-2008, 08:42 AM
Lubricants attract a near-religious aspect. That said, my favorite is still ATB. There's 3 different versions, for use between dry, mixed, and wet conditions. Wax is not a lubricant for steel IMO.

rasterdogs
07-02-2008, 08:45 AM
Lubricants attract a near-religious aspect. That said, my favorite is still ATB. There's 3 different versions, for use between dry, mixed, and wet conditions. Wax is not a lubricant for steel IMO.

+1 on ATB.

-JimD

Charles M
07-02-2008, 09:04 AM
I've had the same bottle of prolong lubricant (the additive for motor oils) for a couple of years... It does a GREAT job and is an exceptional value versus most small qty "bicycle" lubes...

It also seems to protect and keep down surface wear better than anything else I've tried.

keevon
07-02-2008, 09:41 AM
Interesting about the Prolong... which product are you using? I see several on their website...

Charles M
07-02-2008, 11:08 AM
engine oil additive (treatment). Just the stuff you supplement the oil with. I talked to a guy that worked for them when they were starting in engineering and he suggested it after what they found the wear to be at relatively low mid pressure and temps (relative to motors...)

It really does a nice job of resisting wear, especially on the aftermarket aly cassettes that I run...

fierte_poser
07-02-2008, 11:12 AM
Where does one purchase ATB these days?

Kent

Ozz
07-02-2008, 12:57 PM
Where does one purchase ATB these days?

Kent
You used to be able to send and email to Mr. Lewis: klewisinc@msn.com

The email address is a couple years old....I bought several bottles and have not needed to resupply since.

Nice guy, good response, all the usual kudos to him :beer:

jt2gt
07-02-2008, 01:23 PM
engine oil additive (treatment). Just the stuff you supplement the oil with. I talked to a guy that worked for them when they were starting in engineering and he suggested it after what they found the wear to be at relatively low mid pressure and temps (relative to motors...)

It really does a nice job of resisting wear, especially on the aftermarket aly cassettes that I run...

Here's a bottle of Prolong that should last ya:

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/pts/719911041.html

JT

rnhood
07-02-2008, 01:48 PM
I am using Dura-Lube, which is one of those oil additives and, it works really well. Its not a thin as the modern bike specific lubes but, it can be cut slightly with mineral spirits if desired - which I don't.

It certainly provides a nice lubricated feel to the chain and drivetrain. It appears to have a pretty good surface tension so, it stays on too. This might work against one in a dirty environment, possibly attracting more dirt but, for general road bikes its just a dandy lube. I only wipe off the outside of the chain every couple rides. The rollers remain well lubed.

PaulE
07-02-2008, 02:34 PM
Here's a bottle of Prolong that should last ya:

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/pts/719911041.html

JT

55 gal @ $2000 works out to $9.09 a quart!

Charles M
07-02-2008, 07:41 PM
Ans as a quart has lasted me, oh, 3 years and running, that would give me at least a 150 year supply!! :banana:

Shipping would be a b!tch though.