PDA

View Full Version : Specialized Tarmac Elite first ride report

Frank
07-01-2008, 11:44 PM
I picked up my Tarmac today. When I called this morning to make sure it was going to be ready to pick up this afternoon, the salesperson told me they were building it up as we spoke. He also said there was going to be a change in the wheelset, if it wasn't an issue for me. The Tarmac came spec'd with Mavic CXP22 rims on Specialized hubs. When they started to make sure the wheels were trued and ready to go, a spoke broke immediately. Rather than start replacing spokes, he exchanged them for a set of new Mavic Aksium Race wheels. Grant told me the Aksiums were at least as good and maybe better than the CXP22/Specialized hubs wheelset that came on the bike, and I told him that change was fine with me.

When I got there, the bike looked beautiful. It was set up just like we had discussed, including saddle height and stem rise. They added bottle cages and water bottles once I got there and they found out which ones I wanted and, once I paid them, it was mine. I just had time to pick it up and couldn't ride it there, so was glad all of that was done.

Grant indicated that it was also my lucky day as Specialized has a promotion going on that got me $150 worth of free Specialized accessories. I hadn't seen anything on that promotion, and thought it nice of them to tell me about it. I didn't know of anything I needed, so I have a store credit waiting for my next visit.

The ride was absolutely great! I have missed riding more than I thought I had. I was smiling and just so pleased with being out riding again. It felt good to get out and to physically be able to ride...like picking up where I left off. The fact I wasn't riding too fast when I did leave off riding last year probably helped me feel like I hadn't lost much.

Shifting: 105 stuff clicked and shifted just as it should. I didn't get into the big ring because I was trying to take it kind of easy, but it is nice to shift new stuff.

Crankset: The bike came with an FSA double in 172.5mm length, not the 170's I have ridden for 15 years. I decided to not ask about changing them out. I could tell no difference at all when riding (had the saddle .5cm lower than usual) and don't anticipate feeling anything in my knees later.

Frame/fork: The bike feels so much lighter on the road than my Paramount did. I don't know what the Tarmac weighs (or what the Paramount did, for that matter) but the bike really feels light but stable. I think I noticed the difference especially in the short rises and in the front end of the bike. It felt much like the cf Giant TCR C3 I rode a few time a couple of years ago. I can see how folks can get spoiled by lighter bikes, especially when they ride nice too.

I was very happy when I got off the Specialized after my ride. I thought I might just go out for a couple of miles for my first ride, but the bike and I felt so good the trip ended up being twenty miles of real joy. A couple of my retired neighbors were outside when I came home and they commented it was nice to see me out riding again. I look forward to more miles and hours on it in the future.

shinomaster
07-02-2008, 02:15 AM
Hey good for you! Are you up in Toronto? :beer:

rwsaunders
07-02-2008, 05:12 AM
I'm with your neighbors....welcome back to the pleasures of hitting the open road.

Climb01742
07-02-2008, 06:55 AM
great story. i like happy endings. :beer:

CNY rider
07-02-2008, 07:15 AM
Really Frank the most important thing is that you're back on the bike and enjoying it. :beer:
The name on the downtube is just a minor detail.