PDA

View Full Version : Need a new pair of shoesss..

jimp1234
07-01-2008, 06:33 PM
After a year wearing D2's I've decided on getting some new shoes. I'm in to see a new podiatrist this week (Doug Ehrenberg up in Marin), then when I get my new footbeds I'm thinking about going back to "off-the-shelf". Because I'll be running a custom footbed and I have a moderately wide foot, my top picks are the Shimano r300's or the Sidi Genius 5 Mega. So any other shoes I should consider? How does the R220 compare to the R300? Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.

-Jim

false_Aest
07-01-2008, 06:35 PM
I just got a pair of Northwaves and they seem plenty wide.

They seem to wear 1 euro size big (I'm a 44.5 in Sidi and a 43.5 in Northwave)

Charles M
07-01-2008, 07:03 PM
Getting custom footbeds that don't take into account the (sometimes substantial) contour of the shoe before they're made will be a downgrade from D2...

Sidi have substantial shape and will change the insert. Shimano are less pronounced a platform (meaning better) and Northwave are also relatively flat.

But having had custom inserts and virtually any shoe you can name (high end road) I will tell you that it's just my opinion, but D2 are the nicest shoe made.

They'll probably be less money than custom inserts and a Docs visit on top of another high end shoe with a last (upper) that is less formed to your foot.

musgravecycles
07-01-2008, 07:39 PM
What's wrong with your D2's bro?!?! Pez is right, you're not gonna find a better made shoe out there. I've been runnin' Rocket 7's for the last 4 seasons, but they are fragile and I baby them, the D2 is a better made shoe...

93legendti
07-01-2008, 08:01 PM
What's wrong with your D2's bro?!?! Pez is right, you're not gonna find a better made shoe out there. I've been runnin' Rocket 7's for the last 4 seasons, but they are fragile and I baby them, the D2 is a better made shoe...

I was thinking about the stock Rocket 7's...CC had/has a sale on them.

djg21
07-01-2008, 09:06 PM
I was thinking about the stock Rocket 7's...CC had/has a sale on them.

D2s are better quality, and more easily fine-tuned after they are built should it become necessary. If D2 builds an insole for you, do you even need a prescription orthotic?

rounder
07-01-2008, 09:20 PM
My shoes were time and carnac for a long time. This year, got the new 5.5 sidis. I have to say that i have liked all of them and they have all been cofortable to me and they all had carbon soles. The thing i like about the sidis though is how easy they are to get in and out of, and adjusting them so they feel right.

jeffg
07-01-2008, 09:31 PM
Getting custom footbeds that don't take into account the (sometimes substantial) contour of the shoe before they're made will be a downgrade from D2...

Sidi have substantial shape and will change the insert. Shimano are less pronounced a platform (meaning better) and Northwave are also relatively flat.

But having had custom inserts and virtually any shoe you can name (high end road) I will tell you that it's just my opinion, but D2 are the nicest shoe made.

They'll probably be less money than custom inserts and a Docs visit on top of another high end shoe with a last (upper) that is less formed to your foot.

Perhaps if I had gone to D2 I would have had a different outcome; however, at this point with two sets made, and with them trying to adjust them for me, I am going ESoles/Rocket 7. ESoles takes into account the shoe it is going in so that should be sorted

I hope it can't be worse than abandoning double centuries due to foot pain with the new set up. D2 has really tried to accomodate me but I believe the shoes simply do not have enough room in the toe box and are not wide enough ...

If this doesn't work then a mid arch placement is next

djg21
07-01-2008, 09:45 PM
Perhaps if I had gone to D2 I would have had a different outcome; however, at this point with two sets made, and with them trying to adjust them for me, I am going ESoles/Rocket 7. ESoles takes into account the shoe it is going in so that should be sorted

I hope it can't be worse than abandoning double centuries due to foot pain with the new set up. D2 has really tried to accomodate me but I believe the shoes simply do not have enough room in the toe box and are not wide enough ...

If this doesn't work then a mid arch placement is next

I'm a bit confused. what do you have "two sets" of? Orthotics? Shoes? D2 Shoes?

Who tried to adjust your shoes/orthotics?

Are you the original poster posting from an another account?

For all the money you seemingly are spending, why don't you just pay D2 to build you a custom shoe on a fully-customized last. It may be expensive, but you know they will fit perfectly, and D2 undoubtedly will guarantee its fit, especially with a custom shoe!

jeffg
07-01-2008, 09:51 PM
I'm a bit confused. what do you have "two sets" of? Orthotics? Shoes? D2 Shoes?

Who tried to adjust your shoes/orthotics?

Are you the original poster posting from an another account?

For all the money you seemingly are spending, why don't you just pay D2 to build you a custom shoe on a fully-customized last. It may be expensive, but you know they will fit perfectly, and D2 undoubtedly will guarantee its fit, especially with a custom shoe!

I am not the original poster.

I got custom D2s, though I do not believe from a custom last since they opined this was not necessary. They did not work for me, so they were adjusted. Then they made me a prototype "rando" shoe with much softer mesh to allow the feet to expand during ultra events. That was somewhat better but has not worked, and I am sick of taking off my shoes during events and trying to grit through the pain.

I have seen several docs and they do not think I have a neuroma or anything. Yes, I am throwing money at this problem but am not sure what else to do. Having to stop to take off your shoes since you cannot stand the foot pain and watching folks you passed on climbs (sometimes multiple times) is just demoralizing, and das reicht mir doch mal!

djg21
07-01-2008, 10:07 PM

I got custom D2s, though I do not believe from a custom last since they opined this was not necessary. They did not work for me, so they were adjusted. Then they made me a prototype "rando" shoe with much softer mesh to allow the feet to expand during ultra events. That was somewhat better but has not worked, and I am sick of taking off my shoes during events and trying to grit through the pain.

I have seen several docs and they do not think I have a neuroma or anything. Yes, I am throwing money at this problem but am not sure what else to do. Having to stop to take off your shoes since you cannot stand the foot pain and watching folks you passed on climbs (sometimes multiple times) is just demoralizing, and das reicht mir doch mal!

I agree entirely that you have to be comfortable, and I think it silly when people spend thousands of dollars on bikes, skimp on shoes, and then complain about sore feet. And, I don't necessarily think you are throwing money at the problem.

If I were you, and suffered the fit problems that you seemingly have with semi-custom D2 shoes, I'd consider a full custom shoe. Actually, I'd call and speak with the folks at D2 and see what they suggest.

jeffg
07-01-2008, 10:16 PM
I agree entirely that you have to be comfortable, and I think it silly when people spend thousands of dollars on bikes, skimp on shoes, and then complain about sore feet. And, I don't necessarily think you are throwing money at the problem.

If I were you, and suffered the fit problems that you seemingly have with semi-custom D2 shoes, I'd consider a full custom shoe. Actually, I'd call and speak with the folks at D2 and see what they suggest.

Agreed.

I bought my first pair of dedicated cycling shoes before I bought my first road bike (I rode my late father's for years)

I will call D2 again

SamIAm
07-02-2008, 06:33 AM

This was and is my exact same experience with D2. I did not go with the custom last as they said it wasn't necessary. I did go with the custom toe box. Shoes arrived and were very well made, but oh so tight on the toes. I called D2 and was told that was the way it was supposed to feel and they would loosen up after 100 miles or so. 100 miles later, still experiencing significant pain on every ride, I called back. They said to send the shoes in for adjustment. I did, received them back and they were better, but still torture on longer rides. I decided to put some more miles on them, 1000 to be exact. Talk about suffering. I had enough and contacted D2 again. Sent the shoes back in for yet another adjustment. Spoke with Don and told him that I had an upcoming tour that I was hoping to use the shoes on and could he turn them around in a couple of days. He said sure and I overnighted them. I had my wife follow up for me a couple of days later to make sure things were progressing. She spoke to someone other than Don who was positively nasty on the phone. He claimed that he had not received the shoes. We pointed out that he had in fact signed for them. He became even more obnoxious. I called ready to give him a piece of my mind and suddenly he had found the shoes and gruffly agreed to make the adjustments and get them out the next day. He did and lo and behold they were still too damn tight. This has been a very frustrating experience and a waste of at least 700 dolllars at this point. Why can't they get these things right?

SamIAm
07-02-2008, 09:56 AM
I would like to add to my original post that even though the shoes have so far not worked out for me. Don has stood behind his work throughout. He has contacted me and made the commitment to get it right which I do appreciate. The shoes are just so well made that I know I will get many years of use out of them, if only we can get the fit right.

jeffg
07-02-2008, 10:13 AM
I would like to add to my original post that even though the shoes have so far not worked out for me. Don has stood behind his work throughout. He has contacted me and made the commitment to get it right which I do appreciate. The shoes are just so well made that I know I will get many years of use out of them, if only we can get the fit right.

+1 about Don (or is that the other Don).

My view is that this a complex problem and that no shoe is perfect and can solve this at the drop of a hat. Even Dr. Ehrenberg said, hey, 200+ miles and 16,000+ feet is just going to put stress on your feet, and no shoe or orthodic is likely to alleviate that 100% ... It's ultra for a reason, and many folks cut off the toe box, wear sandals with an SPD cleat, etc.

In my case a free remake was a fair deal. I feel fine about how the allocation of risk turned out and the shoes are far better than the Shimano's I had. Hey, I tried Dr. Ehrenberg before D2 and that didn't work either, so I clearly have issues (even though my feet are relatively normal in terms of size, shape, injuries, etc.)

Just cause it has not worked out for me thus far does not mean they aint great shoes

saintsfan
07-02-2008, 01:52 PM
I've got narrow heels but a wide ball. Specialized BG's have done wonders for me.

jimp1234
07-02-2008, 02:00 PM
Thanks for all the comments (particularly those insightful ones from peztech). I hadn't really thought this would turn into a discussion about D2 shoes, but I will add a few comments about my own experience with them just to keep the record straight. In general I'd say I've not found a company anywhere (with any kind of product)that works harder to satisfy their customers. They have adjusted my current shoes two or three times without a hassle, and have offered me a good deal on a new pair. That being said, similar to other posters, my shoes were tight from day one (D2's recommendation was semi-custom toe box btw) and to this day will cause painful feet on longer rides (for me anything over 3 1/2 hrs and sooner on hot days.) . The way I've looked at it, there's always a "bell curve" with any product, and I'm sure D2 has a few folks at one end of the spectrum that would die before riding with anything but D2's, a bigger group of generally satisfied customers in the middle, and a few, like me at the other end, who have problems. Hey, that's life. What's particularly ironic is in over 30 years of riding, I've not any real foot problems with "off the shelf" shoes . knees, back..broken collar bone. every other kind of pain but not feet til now ...lol...(I went with D2's originally for some varus adjustment recommended by Andy Pruitt).. Well at least this thread has got me reconsidering my options...

tch
07-02-2008, 09:29 PM
I've got narrow heels but a wide ball. Specialized BG's have done wonders for me.
But I'll second this comment. If you are going stock, look at Specialized. The brand doesn't get much love here on the forum, but I really like the shoes, gloves, accessories. Well thought-out and reasonably priced.

djg
07-02-2008, 09:48 PM
I've no idea what shoe will work for somebody else, but last year's Northwave Aerator models had a good deal of room in the forefoot and lots of room in the toebox, without being super wide all the way back (for me, better through the arch and better heel control than sidi megas) -- I picked up some Boonen model aerator 3s recently for a song (80 bucks on chainlove) and so far they seem like nice shoes. They definitely run larger than Sidi by a full size.

Dekonick
07-02-2008, 10:48 PM
IF you have serious problems with fit - and you didn't go to Eagle Colorado for a fitting, and custom lathe, how can anyone say D2 didn't work?

If you do enduro events, and it is a big part of your life, make a trip to Colorado, ride the rockies, sit in the natural vapor caves in Glenwood, and git a proper fitting at D2.

Happy feet = happy person