PDA

View Full Version : Anyone see "The Happening"?

Ray
07-01-2008, 05:50 PM
Its a terrible, god-awfully bad movie and, if you haven't seen it, I highly recommend you run right out and do anything other than go see that movie.

BUT...

If you have seen it or, for some crazy reason, are planning to, it gives a pretty good picture of my riding back yard. Most of the "country" scenes were filmed around Unionville, PA in beautiful rural Chester County. Most of my loops go through that area either on the way in or out and some of them are just all over that area. I actually got held up for about a half hour on a ride behind a scene they were filming last autumn and had to watch them film it. Sort of cool - Mark Wahlburg and Zoe ????? were in the front of a car heading up a road and they filmed it over and over and over. That scene never made it into the movie (far as I could tell) but the location did in another scene. And ALL of those country roads are the ones I ride nearly all the time.

So, if you get stuck seeing this dog, at least you can enjoy it by imagining how great the riding is there. And it is!

-Ray

Kevan
07-01-2008, 09:47 PM
that sure is some ill-wind you be spreading around about that thar movie.

Come to think of it, they sure was purdy cycling roads tho.

Ray
07-02-2008, 03:47 AM
that sure is some ill-wind you be spreading around about that thar movie.

Come to think of it, they sure was purdy cycling roads tho.
Yeah, but I ride solo out there a lot, so as not to offend the gods of wind. People dropping like flies, but I ride on...

-Ray

Flat Out
07-02-2008, 09:28 AM
OT - Who keeps giving this guy money to make movies? He definitely has a good eye and a knack for suspense but his scripts are just God-awful.(Sixth Sense aside, of course)

DukeHorn
07-02-2008, 11:00 AM
I think he's about average for a director.

Unbreakable wasn't bad. Signs and the Village were mediocre.

Now his last two have been pretty poor, but that's the problem with setting the bar high with your first movie.

Look at Darren Aronofsky. Pi was a good first film. The Fountain was tedious and Below was only interesting because it was set on a sub.

bostondrunk
07-02-2008, 11:39 AM
I liked all his movies other than Lady in the water. I'll at very least rent The Happening when it makes it to DVD...

ThasFACE
07-02-2008, 11:54 AM
Look at Darren Aronofsky. Pi was a good first film. The Fountain was tedious and Below was only interesting because it was set on a sub.
But Requiem For a Dream was great... albeit a little bit of a bummer.

DukeHorn
07-02-2008, 01:26 PM
Hehe, very true. I didn't quite know how to classify it since so many people I know hate the film (mainly because it doesn't have a Hollywood ending).