PDA

View Full Version : off of bikes and onto cars...

eddief
10-11-2004, 03:10 PM
Thought some of the bikers might be interested in this car care product I just used for the first time. I drive a 1993 Camry and, unlike my bikes, it sits outside . So the Camry has a 12 year old paint job. I just used Maguires clay detailing product and it quickly whipped the smoothness of the paint right into shape. This clay stuff works like a miracle. Takes off all the little bumps of overspray and acid rain and urban crap. Just spray on some of their detailing solution and lightly rub over the paint with the clay in the palm of your hand, then wipe dry. In a half hour I did what would take forever with rubbing compound and this was a super snap. A really neat product. Do all of you already know about this? Do all Serotta board members take their Bimmers to the auto polish shop on a weekly basis? Just kidding.

M_A_Martin
10-11-2004, 03:17 PM
I like the maguires products for cleaning and polishing used bike frames before I build them. It really does seem to help the paint and cleans off all the nasty gunk that seems to accumulate. I usually follow up with carnuba for some lasting protection. Then the bikes clean up really well during the riding season.
The maguires producst aren't necessarily top top of the line, but they work well and that's all they need to do. Just keep in mind that you're dealing with layers of paint and you're usually fine.

kestrel
10-12-2004, 01:14 AM
A member of an automotive site I belong to has posted the following detailing procedure:

1. Wash -- I like Meguiar's Gold Class Car Shampoo (available at Target by the gallon cheap). NXT Car Wash is a close second (again, at Targetto). Be sure to follow the dilution ratios to the T. I'd further recommend a two-bucket system wash.
2. Clay -- There are a bunch of great clay systems out there and, to keep you from having to order a bunch of stuff or have you track it down all over creation at Paint and Body Shop Supply Houses, I'd run to your local Pep Boys or AutoZ and grab a kit from Clay Magic. It's a good product that isn't very difficult to find.
Clay will remove the stuck on surface contamination that washing alone doesn't get. This may include sap, tar, and bugs just to name a few items. Ultimately, you're wanting your paint to feel like GLASS prior to any application of other products. This is what you'll hear us refer to as surface prep.
3. Rinse -- Basically, I'd wash again.
4. Paint Cleaner/Polish -- For simplicity purposes again, I'd recommend going with something like the Meguiar's Deep Crystal 3-step system. (Burgandy bottles labled 1, 2, 3 with 1 being cleaner, 2 being polish, 3 being wax -- skip the 3.).
5. Wax -- NXT. Available at Targetto however; tough to find as it's selling like hotcakes.

ONE MORE STEP

6. Maintain -- Buy a bottle of Meguiar's Quick Detailer (consumer line product that is available just about everywhere they sell car care stuff). Mist on, wipe off.

Hope this helps!

Too Tall
10-12-2004, 06:28 AM
10-4 and thumbs up. Clay works. I've used Griot's Garage products as they are easy to order and always there. M.A.M what carnuba do you like? Betty get's waxed twice a yr. and "maintenance" with Griot's "Speed shine" which is some sort of diluted carnuba. Speed Shine is all I use on bike frames. Dawn soap seems to keep the paint squeaky clean.

OldDog
10-12-2004, 09:17 AM
I agree with Kestral, the Meguirs is good stuff. One other note, on older cars without a fresh clearcoat, use your clay on one car or color only. Get a separate cly for another car/color. And if you drop it, use a new one so as not to place fine scratches on your finish. One bar is enough for two cars/colors for about three applications.

Serotta PETE
10-12-2004, 09:47 AM
Plenty of great articles on the above web site about "care". I have also been doing business with them for over 15 years. No matter what type of car you have, it pays to take care of it. My BMW or Honda have never seen a car wash and/or a detailer. Good exercise and if you are "cheap" like me, then enough said. If only I could get SPOKES or Phil to take it on as a project,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :)

Keith A
10-12-2004, 10:31 AM
It is interesting that the subject of car care has come up. Just last week, my eldest daughter and I decided to spruce the previously owned VW that I recently bought for her to drive (note it is NOT her car :) ). It's bright red and as many red cars do, it had some paint oxidation from sitting out in the hot Florida sun.

I started out using Meguiar's wax/cleaner product and it was taking way too much effort to get ride of the oxidation. So, I tried the 3M Imperial Hand Glaze that I had bought some time ago and hadn't tried yet. Wow, did this stuff work great! With a little elbow grease (both mine and my daughter's), it a short period of time we had that car sparkling. We followed this up a couple of days later with a wash and coat of Meguiar's wax (not sure which one right now) and it looks really nice.

Much to my surprise, when my daughter came home last night it had sprinkled on the car on the drive home and as soon as she got in she was out the door to dry off her car. I was happy to see that she wants to keep it looking nice (and expect she learned something from the recent polish & wax efforts), but explained to her that she did want to use the drying chamois on a car that wasn't completely clean. We are planning on doing my VW next and I'm happy to finally have some help with keeping the cars shinny.

eddief
10-12-2004, 12:36 PM
and you won't need near the elbow grease.

Miranda
10-12-2004, 10:51 PM
How about Mother's products? Are they top notch?

dnovo
10-13-2004, 06:16 AM
Too Tall, that car is Too Much!!! Outstanding!!!! (Please note that regardless of my sincere delight, I refuse to use a single one of those stupid 'smiley faces.'

Oh boy, now I did it. Hope e-Richie doesn't see this note. I'll get wacked with a slew of his silly icons, beer mugs, et al. Dave N.

Serotta PETE
10-13-2004, 07:21 PM
:bike: :bike: Too Tall, that car is Too Much!!! Outstanding!!!! (Please note that regardless of my sincere delight, I refuse to use a single one of those stupid 'smiley faces.'

Oh boy, now I did it. Hope e-Richie doesn't see this note. I'll get wacked with a slew of his silly icons, beer mugs, et al. Dave N.

:banana:

:no: :

:D

Zoomie80
10-13-2004, 08:46 PM
I've been using Meguiar's products (Gold Class Shampoo, Show Car Glaze, Hi-Tech Yellow Wax, Quick Detailer, and Quick Wax) on my car ('88 BMW 325is) since I bought it 16+ years ago and the paint (as well as rest of car) still shines! There are other products out there that probably work as well, maybe even a little better but I've been more than satisfied with products from this brand.

I also use the shampoo on my bikes when they're really grungy, else I use the Quick Detailer once/twice week and Quick Wax as needed.

I can't go fast...might as well look good! :)

Zoom!