PDA

View Full Version : funny thing about campy - ranty.... kinda

vqdriver
07-01-2008, 12:31 PM
i just completed a campy conversion this weekend and was struck by how many disclaimers they put in their instructions.

'do it this way or it'll lead to injury or death'
'failure to use campagnolo tool sdfg-2346997 could lead to failure of component and you're death'
'tighten this bolt to 50 nm or you'll die'
'use an italian allen wrench or your dog will die'

and i swear, it's on almost every single page, even for the same component.
***? was there some kind of monumental lawsuit or something? i only looked at the english version, but i wonder if the same disclaimer is in all the different languages or if it's only intended for the litigious americans.
i found it funny at first, but then it just kinda makes you second guess yourself about all the torques and procedures.

and what's with their obsession with loctite 222? does it even adhere to parts coated in all that oil or are you supposed to degrease everything first?

not a rant, just noticed it cuz frankly, it's hard not to. then it's so repetitive that i ended up just ignoring all those warning boxes anyway. :D

michael white
07-01-2008, 12:38 PM
ps: I heard if ya ignore the warnings you get disappeared. ;)

SadieKate
07-01-2008, 12:41 PM
It's probably their way of poking fun at litigious Amurica.

djg
07-01-2008, 01:24 PM
Well, I suspect that you won't spontaneously combust if you're a bit over or under on torque. On the other hand, it seems to me that they're some of the best assembly and adjustment instructions I've seen with any products -- pay attention, take your time, and a first-timer could probably get a bike built and running smoothly with the instructions that come with the parts.

pjm
07-01-2008, 03:26 PM
It's also why tires fit so damn tight on their wheels. They don't want them coming off.

Bill Bove
07-01-2008, 04:21 PM
I knew a guy, well actually I heard about a guy who did not use Campy tool No. 666 or Loctite 222 and he did not tourque to 3.14 NM's and he died man, he died.

vqdriver
07-01-2008, 04:59 PM
I knew a guy, well actually I heard about a guy who did not use Campy tool No. 666 or Loctite 222 and he did not tourque to 3.14 NM's and he died man, he died.

LOL

djg: i'll have to disagree with you on the 'good' instructions. another funny thing about the campy instructions is that they skip the most important parts. for instance, the chain installation guide was very specific up until the point when i'm supposed to join the two ends, (which of course if i don't do correctly i'll die) and then it says to use campy chain tool ##### and then you're done. what?

funny, yes. at some point i just used common sense and experience with shimano stuff. brakes cables torqued so i don't strip threads. chain measured on small rings. rear der eyeballed to limits. ut crankset torqued as much as humanly possible.
some adjustment screws are in different places, but all in all pretty much the same same.

Erik.Lazdins
07-01-2008, 05:55 PM
Welcome to the Vicenza Legal Dept.

Everything in their manuals, if misused in the least, leads to injury or death.

I ride Campy and still prefer it to anything else.

I've seen their wheels that are rated to 183 lbs ridden by a 255 lb rider who hit a brick continue on without a re-true.

My Serotta has 30,000 unadjusted groupset on it - I rode it today.

They build terrific stuff!