PDA

View Full Version : OT: eBay cautionary Tale

ti_boi
06-30-2008, 04:28 AM
Bought an item on eBay last week. It was expensive and arrived in completely trashed condition. Left the seller negative feedback. Sounds simple, right?

Seller went ballistic. Threatened to 'stop by my home' as he 'knows where I live and often passes through the area'.....I called him, we had a somewhat civil discussion and I tried to get the feedback removed. Based on the fact that the guy sounded unbalanced.

I also did a background check on the seller....and low and behold he has 58 records of felony charges going back 20 years....including gems like burglary.

Be careful out there folks.

1happygirl
06-30-2008, 05:29 AM
Wow. Thanks for the info. Sorry you had a bad experience!

I've been pretty much done with ebay for a while. It turned more commercial/more of a business for me a while back. I felt ebay kinda lost the original spirit of things when people started making it a big business with multiple auctions, paypal, fees and all. The only difference and reason in the past I kinda liked ebay was the idea they say they will 'secure and provide a level of protection for your transaction'? I mean can you report this to ebay?
I got an email after the auction closed stating the original seller backed out and we could do it offline. I did and was sorry as the item was defective. I pretty much use craigslist now. Exclusively for selling (no hassle of shipping, etc. my time is worth something).

ti_boi
06-30-2008, 05:58 AM

I've been pretty much done with ebay for a while. It turned more commercial/more of a business for me a while back. I felt ebay kinda lost the original spirit of things when people started making it a big business with multiple auctions, paypal, fees and all. The only difference and reason in the past I kinda liked ebay was the idea they say they will 'secure and provide a level of protection for your transaction'? I mean can you report this to ebay?
I got an email after the auction closed stating the original seller backed out and we could do it offline. I did and was sorry as the item was defective. I pretty much use craigslist now. Exclusively for selling (no hassle of shipping, etc. my time is worth something).

Yeah, in the appeals process now....since I...get this....did not violate their code i.e. foul language...in the feedback...it does not warrant removal.

Insane.

I am applying for a gun permit this week at the local P.D.

Any ideas?

alancw3
06-30-2008, 06:23 AM

i agree. i have had great success with craigslist. much less hastle. my only fear is that ebay will try to take over or exploit cl since they owe 27% of it. i do still look at bikes/frames on ebay though and they are a great reference for pricing something used.

Lifelover
06-30-2008, 06:29 AM
Yuck! That sucks.

How far away is he from you? Unless he is relatively close (less than 2 hours?), I don't think he will make the trip to F with you or your home. If you are lucky he doesn't even have a car.

I must admitt, I would sleep lightly for a few nights.

csm
06-30-2008, 07:08 AM
I'd report him to the police in his town as well as yours. as for the gun permit... I think that is a personal issue. that said, I have firearms. I agree that the fun is out of ebay anymore. too much like a real business.

1happygirl
06-30-2008, 11:03 AM
Great a +1 on the gun permit. I used to be down on it, but in this day and age and with the way I have seen people act I'm a believer. Also meeting peeps in person and selling stuff on craigslist it's a plus. I only have a gun to protect others (my parents etc) and people I'm with.

Sounds like you are doing all the right things. Mine didn't go far with ebay, but since you are paying (or someone) is paying for the service, there should be something they can do about the sale and future sales. Ebay needs to be proactive and ban this seller. There is entirely too much of this on ebay from what I'm hearing on the forum. If they can't handle/police this stuff, what are you paying ebay for?

As I said, I'm now mostly down to using craigslist (at least it's local +its free).

Kevan
06-30-2008, 11:12 AM
you can make reference to the documented transaction as evidence. I'd leave the comment to stand w/ apologies that you "tried" to remove it, but couldn't.

If you file a report with the police, make a point of referencing the transaction.

gdw
06-30-2008, 11:22 AM
First step - take copies of his threatening emails to the police. If the guy really has the extensive criminal record* that you've been told, then he is most likely on parole. Criminal threatening is probably a violation of his parole and could earn him a ticket back to the big house.

Getting a weapons permit and buying a firearm is a big step. Do you have any experience with firearms? If not, get some training first.

*I'm curious as to how you were able to get his criminal record. Do you know his date of birth? If not, are you sure this is the same guy?

bironi
06-30-2008, 11:39 AM
Just curious why anyone would think that Craigslist is a better option. Would you want a creep like this to stop by your place and see what you might have for the taking?

Larry D
06-30-2008, 01:01 PM
ti_boi,

Sorry to hear of your experience and the threats, and I agree with gdw that if you have not had a firearm - get training.

As an NRA Pistol Coach and someone who in the past carried a concealed firearm, it is a big responsibility to bear. You have to have a clear concept of what that firearm is for if G-d forbid you have to take it out of its holster.

Think about it. See what the local police can do for you.

Michael Maddox
06-30-2008, 01:22 PM
*I'm curious as to how you were able to get his criminal record. Do you know his date of birth? If not, are you sure this is the same guy?

Certain reporting services, e.g., Tenant Verification Services, will provide civil, criminal, credit, and other records for a fee. Intended for use by landlords, this particular service requires you to maintain a release and signature on file--though they don't actually CHECK that you do.

I would surmise this was how he pulled the records.

ti_boi
06-30-2008, 07:05 PM
I have a mossberg pump action 12 gauge. I bought it years ago in FL from a SportMart when all you had to do was show a valid Lisc. I am also adding a glass break alarm to my already comprehensive ADT system. Sucks.

For background checks....I use intelius.

Louis
06-30-2008, 07:07 PM
Seems to me that if folks are going to live in a state of fear due to stuff like this, then getting a PO Box might be a good idea.

maunahaole
06-30-2008, 07:22 PM
By all means make a report to your local PD. First, given his history, he may be on probation. Probation officers want to know of bad behaviour of their charges and they can be arrested, etc. at a much lower standard than those who are not on probation. In addition, there may be a prohibition on him doing sales of stuff, due to priors. You also never know if another local PD somewhere is trying to build a case, someone might want to know this info. It also gives you some record beforehand if the a-hole decides to visit your home.

rphetteplace
06-30-2008, 07:37 PM
step 1. Invite William over for dinner

step 2. Invite crazy over.

step 3. Introduce crazy to your little friend Willaim :banana:

BumbleBeeDave
06-30-2008, 09:14 PM
. . . went to that, uh, "other" place? . . .

BBD

mikki
06-30-2008, 10:36 PM
i agree. i have had great success with craigslist. much less hastle. my only fear is that ebay will try to take over or exploit cl since they owe 27% of it. i do still look at bikes/frames on ebay though and they are a great reference for pricing something used.

Wow! I didn't know that Ebay owned part of craigslist!! Where did you get this info?

srenda
06-30-2008, 11:12 PM
Wow! I didn't know that Ebay owned part of craigslist!! Where did you get this info?

http://www.craigslist.org/about/press/ebay.stake.html

Sandy
06-30-2008, 11:23 PM
How does he know where you live, if I may ask?

Sandy

Louis
06-30-2008, 11:27 PM
How does he know where you live, if I may ask?

Presumably he mailed the stuff at issue in the transaction to Ti-B's home.

Sandy
06-30-2008, 11:29 PM
Presumably he mailed the stuff at issue in the transaction to Ti-B's home.

Thanks for your kind response. That was probably the dumbest question I have ever asked.....anywhere.

So Stupid Sandy

Louis
06-30-2008, 11:35 PM
If you want to delete your question I can delete my answer...

Lifelover
07-01-2008, 06:59 AM
Thanks for your kind response. That was probably the dumbest question I have ever asked.....anywhere.

So Stupid Sandy

Kind of a "Who's buried in Grant's Tomb" moment!?

I had the same thought when I first read the post.

Sandy
07-01-2008, 07:09 AM
If you want to delete your question I can delete my answer...

I have a very small pea size brain that bounces back and forth within the inner cranial walls. I notice the above phenomenon of Super Sandy Stupidity at the very instant in which the pea brain makes contact with the aforementioned wall. ;)

No need to delete anything. Appreciate it. I was absorbed in the situation that ti_boi was communicating.

Super Smart Sandy

Saxon
07-01-2008, 11:00 PM
Sorry to hear about your troubles. Been there. I sold a guitar to a guy once (luckily he was in another state) and when he received it, he wanted his money back because he said the guitar had 1,245 paint chips in it (he counted them) and when he played the guitar, he saw a face in it that was looking back at him (yikes). ...and he had my home address.
Anyway, to remove a negative feedback you need to go to Ebay Safe harbor and go through the arbitration process (read: give Ebay $25.00). Then they'll remove the feedback. I hate doing it, but if it gets rid of a problem like this, it's probably worth the $25.00.
Rich