PDA

View Full Version : Reason #36789 to wear a helmet

andy mac
06-29-2008, 10:03 PM
Hope she makes a speedy recovery...

She whispered 'bear' and line went dead

June 30, 2008 - 11:08AM

A 14-year-old girl riding in a 24-hour mountain bike race was attacked by a bear in the middle of the night in Alaska and severely injured, but she was able to make a brief emergency phone call that eventually resulted in her rescue.

The girl suffered head, neck, torso and leg wounds. She underwent surgery and was in critical condition at Providence Alaska Medical Centre, police said.

"The local bear expert said it's probably a sow grizzly,'' said Cleo Hill, a spokeswoman for the Anchorage Fire Department. "One has been sighted in the area recently.''

The attack occurred along a trail in a 24-hour race put on by the Arctic Bicycle Club in Bicentennial Park. Rescuers had to hike in more than three kilometres to reach the girl.

The park, on Anchorage's east side, borders on Chugach State Park. Wild animals - from grizzly and black bears to moose, wolves and wolverines - frequent the area.

The girl was attacked as she reached a trail.

About 60 riders were entered in the race - a circular route that followed groomed trails used by hikers, bikers and skiers.

The race began at noon yesterday and was to conclude at noon today but was cancelled after the attack.

Rick Sinnott, a wildlife biologist with the Alaska Department of Fish and Game, told the Anchorage Daily News that the bear could have been a mother that charged two runners on a nearby trail two weeks ago.

Sinnott went to the scene and posted warning signs, and said the girl was fortunate to be wearing a bike helmet because the bear had bitten her head.

:beer:

The animal attacked the girl around 1.30am, during the darkest part of the night.

"It's not light enough to read, but it's light enough to see your way,'' Hill said of the conditions one week after the northern summer solstice.

Riders could see rocks, trees and the trail but may have been using headlamps or a bike headlight, Hill said.

The girl called emergency services, and dispatchers heard someone struggling to breathe.

She whispered one word - "bear'' - and the line went dead, Hill said.

Following procedure for when an emergency call is cut off, dispatchers called the number back.

Another rider heard the phone ringing, stopped to investigate and spotted the teen off the trail.

"That rider was able to pick up the phone and talk with the police department,'' Hill said.

One more rider appeared and stayed until emergency workers arrived.

That took courage in the darkened forest, knowing a bear had attacked and could again, Hill said.

"It had to be extremely unnerving, if not terrifying,'' Hill said.

Police officers with shotguns accompanied medics to retrieve the girl.
Police Lieutenant Paul Honeman said the family requested that no more information be issued on the girl's condition.

"Their daughter is in a battle for her life,'' he said.

Charles M
06-30-2008, 09:10 AM
I hope she was alright?

HUGE props to the riders that stopped and stayed with her and to the first rider for hearing the phone and not thinking selfishly during the race.

There was absolutely no proof that the helmet protected her and no proof, in the hundreds of other bear attacks (most do involve major head and neck injuries), that a helmet helps at all.

In fact there might be evidence to show that the aerodynamic drag and heat retention from a helmet (more than 10 years old) may have slowed several people down just that extra .00000000001 MPH that allowed the bear to catch them in the first place. And if the wind was whistling through the helmet at speed it may have instigated the several attacks.

You're also supposed to play dead and a plastic outter shell might make that little bit of extra crunchy noise that causes a bear to regain interest.

And was the Bear OK? Bears are protected and if the helmet splintered it could have harmed the bear!

Helmet colors also attract sun and some believe them to cause cancer. Man there are so many reasons beyond trying to look cool that people shouldn't wear a helmet...

avalonracing
06-30-2008, 09:20 AM
PezTech,
Wow, you must hate helmets has much as I do! I can't tell you how many thousands of miles that I rode and trained without one because I don't like them.
That said, I always wear mine now since I finally took a bad header that sent me to the ER.

Charles M
06-30-2008, 10:04 AM
was the crash caused by a rider wearing a helmet?? ;)

cmg
06-30-2008, 11:04 AM
last year on 2 seperate occassions i smacked the ground while riding. 1st one not severe but the 2nd was a douzie. Cracked both helmets enough to warrant replacement. Helmets are hot, hold sweat till it falls in your eyes, don't really provide much protection in a high speed crash like at 50mph but i mine happened at less than 20 and i'm glad i was wearing them. maybe the helmet didn't provide much protection in this poor childs case but even if it just slowed down the bear it was enough. bear didn't like the taste of plastic or foam. Hope she recovers. don't blame the helmet.

Kevan
06-30-2008, 11:19 AM
but is this a smart event to be pulling off during night time in the Alaskan bush? I understand the lighting situation up there, but animals regularly hunt during these hours and well...I doubt these racers are using their bicycle bells to warn off animals.

Am I wrong?

gdw
06-30-2008, 11:43 AM
I don't know where you could hold a 24 hr MTB race in Alaska and not have the possibility of encountering potentially dangerous wildlife. You play the game and take your chances. I hope the poor girl recovers completely.

Tobias
06-30-2008, 05:07 PM
And was the Bear OK? Bears are protected and if the helmet splintered it could have harmed the bear!Sorry to sound insensitive about the bear, but why should we care when it attacks humans?

Charles M
06-30-2008, 09:18 PM
Man I suck at making a joke. :o

I absolutely stand for wearing a helmet and think the excuses for not wearing them are all 100%silly, bear or no bear...