PDA

View Full Version : What do I have? New to Serotta

bconneraz
10-10-2004, 02:26 PM
I've done some searching on these forums, and have a question about a frame that I have the opportunity to purchase. A neighbor has a bright red Serotta with white decals- it currently has Dura Ace 8 speed components. The frame is nothing like I've ever seen. (Im a fan of Waterford, Seven, Sachs, and old Paramounts) The upper head tube lug is fillet brazed on the underside of the top tube, as well as the bottom bracket at the seat tube and down tube juncture. (the chain stays are lugged) There is an "S" stamped on the rear brake bridge, and on the sloping fork crown there is an "S" and what I believe is the word "Colorado." The seat tube and down tube are flared, and the bike has campagnolo drop-outs. The seat cluster is lugged at the seat and top tubes, but the rear of the seat cluster is fillet brazed to the seat stayes. I have looked at the bottom bracket and every other obvious place, and I cant seem to locate a serial number. Can anyone help me date this frame? The going price for the complete bike is 400 bucks. The parts will get ditched as Im a fan of Campy Ergo, but i would like to have the frame re-finished at Serotta as there is a rust spot on the bottom of the top tube from sweat. (looks to be purly cosmetic) Any help would be appreciated.

Serotta PETE
10-10-2004, 02:48 PM
Sounds like one of the first Colorado's from mid to late 80s.

Is there a tube designation (True Temper" or Columbus)

Sorry that I could not be of more help. PETE

bconneraz
10-10-2004, 03:00 PM
[QUOTE=Pete Mckeon]

Is there a tube designation (True Temper" or Columbus)

Unfortanetly there is no tubing sticker. The finish on the bike, while nice, isnt what I would expect to see on a Serotta, although paint technology has changed a lot since the bike was made if in fact it's from the 80"s. Thanks for the reply.

93legendti
10-10-2004, 03:38 PM
Take a look under the bottom bracket, if there is a serial # you could email Serotta with the # and they will tell you what it is.

flickwet
10-10-2004, 07:22 PM
you definatly have an early Colorado. Your description of the brazing, Lugs and tubeset match mine precisly although my finish still looks gorgeous . Mine says Colorado on the top tube right by the headtube bought my frame secondhand but virgin in 91 as a gift to myself.
Having an old Colorado now makes you, like me, automatically better than anyone else.
seriously
Enjoy the ride of that classic

BumbleBeeDave
10-10-2004, 08:58 PM
. . . LOTSA things! ;) . . . and one of them is Serotta provenance.

But I’d be willing to bet that if the bike is that old it may very well have been repainted, and not by Serotta, hence the uneven fit & finish.

BBDave

Dekonick
10-10-2004, 09:07 PM
Buy it. It is a true gem if it really is what you describe!