PDA

View Full Version : Maine/New Hampshire Cabin Vacations?

William
06-29-2008, 04:20 PM
Anybody have any experience or suggestions for secluded lake front cabin rentals in Maine or New Hampshire (cross friendly trails a plus)?

Looking to get away for a little while.

William

Bruce K
06-29-2008, 04:47 PM
William;

I have some freinds in the Winnepesauke area that just started a business supllying vacation folks with stuff for their vacations that they would otherwise have to bring from home (cribs, and other bulky stuff).

Since they get their business from cabin type vacation places I will ask them to either give me recommendations or for Mike, who is a forum member on occassion, to post.

BK

myette10
06-29-2008, 05:57 PM
Bruce - Would you be so kind as to copy me on this info? Thanks - Matt

Bruce K
06-29-2008, 06:25 PM
Matt;

I e-mailed him and asked him to post his suggestions here as he is an occassional poster on this forum.

I'll keep his name out of it for now but if we don't hear something soon, I'll get you in touch via e-mail.

BK

rounder
06-29-2008, 09:21 PM
One of the best trips i went on was to Mt. Katahdin in Baxter Park in maine. We stayed in a cabin in millinocket (i believe) but can't remember the name of the place (Big Moose Inn??). There were lots of things to be said for it there...Mt. Katahdin is the end of the appalacian trail. penobscot river was wild, saw moose there, roaring brook campground area was beautiful...we went for a hike around sandy stream pond...wife and daughter were afraid they would be eaten by bears, had been there a few times before...lots of wild trout to catch. I would go there again...definitely.

KeithS
06-29-2008, 09:36 PM
I have a sister in-law who owns a couple of rental properties in ME, on the ocean not lakes, she knows a lot of people. I will see her next weekend and ask and PM you if I find any info.

My wife and I have used a web based service called Vacation Rentals by Owner on several occasions. We have been very happy with the results. There are lots of places in the areas you mentioned both in ME and NH. Here's a link for you.

http://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/usa/new-hampshire/lakes-region/lake-winnipesaukee

William
06-30-2008, 07:17 AM
Bruce & Keith,

Thank you very much! :banana:

Rounder, I was checking that place out on-line. Looks nice.

William

Steevo
06-30-2008, 07:18 AM
Been goin' to Lake Winnepesaukee the past 10 years. There are several real estate agencies that handle rentals for vacationers. Most places are bigger than cabins, and the whole area is pretty busy in the summer, but quiet cabins can be found.

I spend my time on the north end of the lake - Center Harbor / Moultonboro area, and the road riding is nice up there. I've found the area north of the lakes and south of the the White Mts to be excellent road riding country. Lots of hills, back roads through the woods, mountain scenery, lake shore vistas, light traffic, etc. Get a good map and check out roads linking Merideth, Ashland, Holderness, Center Sandwich, Whiteface, Wonalancet etc - I think its mostly NH Rt 113. Great riding up there. Enjoy.

Don't know anything about cross trails in the region.

Here are some real estate links:

http://www.lakesregionrealestate.com/

http://www.winnipesaukeerealestate.net/

http://www.lampreyandlamprey.com/

William
06-30-2008, 07:30 AM
Thanks Steevo,

I've done some camping around that area many years ago. Nice place.

William

endosch2
06-30-2008, 09:33 AM
I live in Holderness and I can tell you that if you want to ride stay away from Winnipausaukee If you go to Winni stay on the north or east side of the lake if possible. Rent on Squam, Newfound, Stinson, or any other lake. Newfound lake is great with some epic riding out toward Rumney, Plymouth, etc. Ridelist.com has group rides in the area that start in Plymouth.

paczki
07-01-2008, 08:09 AM
www.frostmountainyurts.com

Spinner
07-01-2008, 08:58 AM
I have a sister in-law who owns a couple of rental properties in ME, on the ocean not lakes, she knows a lot of people. I will see her next weekend and ask and PM you if I find any info.

My wife and I have used a web based service called Vacation Rentals by Owner on several occasions. We have been very happy with the results. There are lots of places in the areas you mentioned both in ME and NH. Here's a link for you.

http://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/usa/new-hampshire/lakes-region/lake-winnipesaukee

My family has also used VRBO with great success. We have rented 3 different homes in Maine, 1 in Colorado and 1 in Park City. All of the owners were a pleasure to work with and the properties were as advertised.

We really feel in love with this place ...

www.a1vacations.com/rental-home/p219125

chris1751
07-01-2008, 09:10 AM
william-if you go to maine go to the ocean!!! its beautiful and the coast of maine is drop dead gorgeous. try georgetown maine near reid state park. camping and trails fro riding, just ask around.

Spinner
07-01-2008, 09:26 AM
william-if you go to maine go to the ocean!!! its beautiful and the coast of maine is drop dead gorgeous. try georgetown maine near reid state park. camping and trails fro riding, just ask around.

... and check out georgetown pottery, really nice stuff.

also the osprey restaurant at the nearby robinhood marina; great food with a beautiful view (www.robinhoodmarinecenter.com).

wish i were going to maine this year. there is plenty of great road cycling on the rural coastal roads.