PDA

View Full Version : HELP...How to remove brake pads?

pdbrye
06-29-2008, 03:56 PM
I'm putting some new carbon wheels on my bike and I need to swap out the brake pads on my Campy Record brakes for carbon specific pads. I have no idea how to do this without mangling the brake pads or shoes.

Any help would be much appreciated!!

Thanks, Paul

Mud
06-29-2008, 04:24 PM
but here is what I do. I close the brake so it stays clear of everything. I have popsicle sticks that I use to push against the front of the pad so they slide out. I also have a rubber hammer to gently tap the stick if the pad is stubborn. When putting in new pads I cheat with a tiny bit of grease on the tracks to get the pads to slide in (and out).

Charles M
06-29-2008, 04:51 PM
I bought one of these...

http://www.universalcycles.com/images//products/large/17673.jpg

Jagwire pad tool...

I am VERY frequently swapping wheels between carbon and metal and most brakes I have have a shoe and pad set spare, but still...

Mud
06-29-2008, 05:05 PM
Might be on my Fall wish list. Better than WW pop sticks.

NateM
06-29-2008, 05:11 PM
loosen the allen holding screw on pad holder ,apply brake and rock backwards. Too Tall method, works for me.

Dave
06-29-2008, 05:36 PM
In my 24th season of riding I finally found a reason to remove some brake pads and install different ones. My '08 Campy Record pads sucked. I had no complaints about the pads on my previous '03 Record brakes, but the '08 models were noisy/gritty sounding and pulled aluminum particles off the rims.

I just took the holders (with pads) off the brakes, screwed an M5 nut onto the brake pad holder bolt and clamped the nut in a vise. The old pads came off easily, pulling with pliers. I was able to push the new pads into the holders, by hand, with the help of some soapy water for lube. The new Kool-stop Salmon pads are much better than the original Campy pads.

pdxmech13
06-29-2008, 05:48 PM
putting pad holders in a vice......campy really needs to work this one out jmho.

Dave
06-29-2008, 06:12 PM
putting pad holders in a vice......campy really needs to work this one out jmho.

I didn't put the pad holder in a vise, I put an M5 nut in the vise and screwed the pad holder bolt into it while I removed and installed pads. The pads holders are much easier to work with off the bike. Having a special edition red LOOK 585, the last thing I wanted to do is slip with some tool and put a big scratch in the paint.

I don't think Campy has anything to work out. The pads slide in and out like any other brand, although the kool-stop pads were one heck of tight fit.

pdxmech13
06-29-2008, 07:06 PM
Dave
I read your post and new what you were saying....I wasn't trying to put a dig into you. I do the same thing on customers bikes. Campy's pad holders need to be redisigned. Taking them off a bike loses the whole concept of cartridge holders.
:banana:

dookie
06-29-2008, 09:38 PM
put the *pad* in a vice and slide the shoe off of it. the vice compresses the pad and the shoe will slide right off.

pdbrye
06-30-2008, 09:36 AM
I don't have a vise or a jagwire, so I held the shoe grabbed the pad with some needle nose pliers and yanked them off. It wasn't pretty but it worked. What a b*tch! If I have to do this more then once a year I'll be buying a second set of Record shoes...

40x14
06-30-2008, 10:06 AM
loosen the allen holding screw on pad holder ,apply brake and rock backwards. Too Tall method, works for me.Brilliant! I haven't tried that yet, but will see if it works on Wedensday when I swap the aluminum rims for the carbon ones. I usually just use my fingers (or the end of an allen key) to push. The Too Tall method sounds easier and I like the idea of keeping my hands clean. thanks.

don'TreadOnMe
06-30-2008, 10:19 AM
so easy you will not believe it.
don't even mess w/trying to slide them out backwards.

http://sprinterdellacasa.blogspot.com/2008/01/how-to-campy-brake-pad-swap.html

pdbrye
06-30-2008, 11:48 AM
Oh, now you tell me... :crap: :D

Good to know for the future.