PDA

View Full Version : Acadia National Park - bring the bikes!!

tv_vt
06-29-2008, 12:11 PM
My wife and I are just back from a few days at Acadia National Park in Maine. What a great place for a road or mtn or cross bike! We rented a mtn bike one day and biked the carriage roads (there are 51 miles of them) and the next day rented road bikes and road the park loop road and up to the top of Cadillac Mountain. Fresh pavement and one way, two lane traffic for much of the loop road. Right along the rocky coast line. Awesome! Bar Harbor has three bike rental places. We rented bikes from Bar Harbor Bicycle Shop (a Serotta dealer!). I think the ideal way to go would be to bring a cross bike and two sets of wheels, one knobby and one for the road.

The climb and descent of Cadillac Mountain is really great. It would be a great place to train for flying down alpine descents. Not too steep and the road is in good shape for speed. We were talking about how the pros would race that climb. My guess is that it would be big-ring all the way up for Valverde and the Schleck boys and the like.

Another day was for hiking. Great views, challenging trails. And best of all is ending a bike/hike at the Jordan Pond House and stuffing yourself with hot popovers.

Definitely recommended.

Thom

skijoring
06-29-2008, 12:38 PM
Yeah, we also returned on the 21st of June from Acadia. Very fun carriage road riding. Best on a 'cross or all-rounder bike with 25C-28C + tires. We rode all the gravel except for Witch Hole Pond, west of Bar Harbor. Moved a few turtles from the middle of the carriage roads and I even missed colliding with a few whitetail deer, leaping out of my way on dawn patrol rides. :o

The paved loop is very nice and fast, with what seems like about 1,000 feet of climbing for the main loop. :D

Even though the weather didn't cooperate fully (socked in coastal fog), it is a blast to ride there.

VTCaraco
06-29-2008, 07:55 PM
We just got back on Saturday from a 1-week pilgrimmage as well.

What we like about the carriage roads is how well they suit a family. My wife and I continuously pedaled ahead, doubled-back, and switched so that we were always with our son and simultaneously riding in a manner that we enjoyed.
My only word of caution would be the number of non-riders out there that simply don't act in a predictable manner.
We had a fairly horrific collision at the end of a 20 mile day. My 10 year old son was showing some fatigue (though rejuvinated a bit by some popovers at Jordan Pond) when some walkers, other riders, and the our party converged. The walkers held steady in the middle and the riders swung to the right-side (their left-side) causing an awkward transition. Rather than slow down or stop, he made a 10-year old decision and cut too close to his mom. He went down real hard and took a good while before regaining his composure and eventually pedaling out. All in all, it was a scary lesson that demonstrated an interdependency that most of us would rather avoid.

itsflantastic
06-29-2008, 07:56 PM
happy to live only 1 hour away ! =)

VACATIONLAND!

BumbleBeeDave
06-30-2008, 06:46 AM
I've been there at least 16 times since I moved to the Northeast in 1992. It never ceases to amaze and delight me in it's natural beauty and how easy it is to get away by yourself and find true solitude, despite it's being one of the most visited--often the most visited--national parks.

Some highlights . . .

• Pedaling up Day Mountain on the carriage road and just lying in the sun, watching the ocean and the birds.

• Sitting next to Bubble Rock--no one else around--as the sun goes down and the moon comes up.

• Climbing Precipice, scrambling over the top, and turning around to see the spectacular view.

• Hiking Gorham Mountain with our 4 year old daughter and a ranger. Our daughter made it all the way up and was so proud of herself on top.

• Riding around the whole island (67 miles), stopping for a rest and a snack on Sargent Drive and watching the sailboats go up and down the fiord.

• Blueberry pancakes at Jordan's every morning. A gooey cinnamon roll and steaming cup of coffee at the little store near the hotel where I always stay.

• Walking Wonderland beach in the fog and mist and finding a baby squirrel that kept following me.

• Relaxing on the rocks on my private secret beach. It's right next to the park road, but no one knows it's there--and no, I'm not going to tell you where it is!

But the carriage roads are the best. Go up Day Mountain or the upper loop on Sargent to get away from the crowds. Almost nobody goes up Sargent. On that whole loop I've never seen more than a couple of other people at once. It's perfect to watch the sunset, then ride back to the motel in the dark--take your light. Or go the last week of September-first week of October. The trees are changing. All the families are gone--the kids are back in school. The only other people there are a few couples and senior citizen bus tours, but go more than a 2 minute walk from any carriage road entrance and they're gone and you have the place to yourself. It's even better in the rain--the colors are all muted, yet brilliant, and it's so quiet.

I could go on and on . . .

BBD

skijoring
06-30-2008, 08:27 AM
Yeah, that was my favorite part of the carriage roads, Sargent area. That's where the deer bounced out to surprise. 2.5 hours of riding that day in the mist and fog and no one else that I saw on the gravel. :beer:

avalonracing
06-30-2008, 09:23 AM
happy to live only 1 hour away ! =)

VACATIONLAND!

Lucky Bastard!
Well, it is only 90ºF, humid with a chance for T-Storms in Maryland today :crap:

BumbleBeeDave
06-30-2008, 10:22 AM
. . . is that I've always been amazed at the lack of safe cycling access to Mount Desrt Island itself.

The highway from Bangor over to Ellsworth is terribly unsafe in many spots. Closer to Ellsworth in particular, there are many spots where there is no shoulder of any kind and the ground just off the pavement is mostly sand. Then between Ellsworth and the bridge to MDi you have the same situation in spots, but with the addition of heavier traffic both on the road and into and out of the many tourist oriented businesses and "attractions" along the way.

The bridge to MDI itself is narrow and VERY heavily trafficked at most daylight hours. If you're carrying your bike there in your car then it's great once you actually get on the island, but if you're touring and planning on going there, then be very VERY careful.

BBD

FlynRide
06-30-2008, 10:46 AM
Yes, bicycling around Acadia is absolutely wonderful. Highly recommended.

My wife and I honeymooned up there. Can't wait to return this fall !!

William
06-30-2008, 10:54 AM
Yes, bicycling around Acadia is absolutely wonderful. Highly recommended.

My wife and I honeymooned up there. Can't wait to return this fall !!

That's cool!! :cool:

William

Kevan
06-30-2008, 11:03 AM
is Deer Isle. I rode out over the suspension bridge to this place about 5 years ago and had a blast. I'm currently reading a book that has gotten away from me until now: Steinbeck's Travels with Charley and he too references crossing this high steel bridge which was one of the first, if not THE first, all-steel suspension bridges installed in America. Believe me when I tell you, if there's a cross-breeze blowing, and there usually is as the day develops, you are in for one pretty technical ride. Old concrete, expansion plates, a steel grated top with a 5000' foot (no, that's no typo, you get there and you'll see for yourself) see-thru view of the whitecaps down below, add much to the exhilaration this ride has to offer. I particularly liked how the roadway takes to swaying in the wind.

Anyway, after kissing the hard ground on the other side (you'll be doing this on both sides), you're in for a treat of a ride. Details are a bit shaky now, but I recall a terrain much like a ruffled potato chip. And at the far end is a postcard view of the lobster boat village, with traps stacked up on shore, with little houses tucked into the hillside. Allow a couple hours.

This from Wikipedia:

"Deer Isle is separated from the main land by Eggemoggin Reach and may be reached by car via a narrow 1939 suspension bridge bearing the island's name. This bridge is a sister bridge to the first Tacoma Narrows Bridge, which collapsed spectacularly in 1940, due to wind vibrations. The Eggemoggin Reach bridge still stands today. Presumably the dimensions of the bridge and the geography of the Reach do not create the same aerodynamic conditions that occurred in the Tacoma Narrows. The bridge does bounce up and down on windy days, however."

dauwhe
06-30-2008, 11:18 AM
Mrs. dauwhe and I got engaged on top of Champlain Mountain :beer:

I think I love the hiking there even better than the riding. My dream is to ski there someday!

Dave

VTCaraco
06-30-2008, 11:35 AM
We lucked into some SPECTACULAR skiing up there a few years back. As I understand it, they don't typically get that much snow. We hadn't realized that when we hatched the mid-week escape plan. As we were packing up, we checked the forecast and saw a call for fresh snow. We stayed in Ellsworth and hit the trails first thing in the morning and had simply breathtaking skiing for 2 days.
The only thing that we've done that compares is skiing out to Glacier Point in Yosemite. Add that to your must-do list, too.

39cross
06-30-2008, 11:52 AM
I rode out over the suspension bridge to this place about 5 years ago and had a blast. ...Yupp, that is one scary bridge, I thought it was bad enough driving over it, never mind cycling over it!

Speaking of cycling to Mt. Desert, there is a back way in Ellsworth that lets you avoid the strip malls etc., but you still have to get back on the main road and negotiate the bridge to the island.

I spent quite a bit of time hiking the island during my college days and have revisited off on and on over the years. One day I'll bring a bike...would love to ski the trails someday, too. Nice to read so many nice stories about the park again, it is a truly special place..and god bless you, mr. rockefeller, our benefactor, wherever you are.

vaxn8r
06-30-2008, 12:34 PM
Great riding with road bikes or Mountain bikes. I lived there for a summer doing lab research on sea urchin eggs. Fun times. Seriously.

Too bad their summer is only a few weeks in July. June and August were cold!

Fred D
06-30-2008, 12:42 PM
The saying that you don't appreciate your own backyard as much as the people who visit is usually true. But Acadia National Park and the Bar Harbor region is hard to beat. Our family goes there to celebrate my parents wedding anniversary. I bring my bike and golf clubs and if the weather cooperates I get to ride around the Island. This year I climbed Cadillac at the end of the ride. The ascent is 3.5 miles but it's a constant grade for the most part. The road, as has been mentioned, is new in the first part of the climb. Some folks go there to train. I noticed one group climbing it more than once. I met a group of riders at the top and then ran into them again the next weekend during a fund raising ride. The view from the top is rewarding and the ride down is a blast.

victoryfactory
08-13-2008, 07:23 AM
I resurrected this old thread to thank everyone for the inspiration to get
up to Acadia.
Last week was mostly rain, but I was able to hike Cadillac Mt. on Sat.
and ride the freshly paved park loop road on Sun. AM (nice)
Camped at blackwoods.
I definitely need to get back ASAP!

VF

BumbleBeeDave
08-13-2008, 10:09 AM
. . . then you DEFINITELY need to go back! Late in the year is a good time, with the leaves turning and the crowds gone.

BBD

victoryfactory
08-13-2008, 10:26 AM
Dave:

I did ride a few miles on a carriage road near Jordan pond. I had the
Atlanta (my traveling Bike) I was just checking it out to
see if the road bike with 25mm tires would work, not too bad but you need to stay away
from the loose stuff at the roadside.

Thanks again for adding another inspiring destination
to my list. I would love to see it in the Fall, but it must be really crowded.

I hit the loop road at 7:00 am and had it all to myself (just a few riders out at that time)

VF

PS: I found your secret beach, but I can't tell you where it is.

johnnymossville
08-13-2008, 10:48 AM
I'm gonna agree with all of you. Acadia, and that whole area of the world is well worth a visit when you can. The pics everyone posted brought back fond memories of the last time I was there.

dnades
08-13-2008, 12:44 PM
We go up every year. Great place. A great walk for family is around Jordon Pond (about 3 miles or so) then go to the Tea House for lunch. Popovers are highly recommended. We usually stay around Southwest harbor. A lot quieter, especially if you ride over to pretty marsh and that area. New pavement and nice views. Or ride up to Beech Mtn. There is an organic farm up there with great produce. A little pricey but you see them working out in the fields and all. Little Notch bakery in SW harbor has the best blueberry pie. A couple of good restaurants: Burning Tree, Red Sky, Sips, & Fiddler's Green to name a few. Beware of a place called Sawyer's that sells groceries and such. Extremely expensive even by NYC standards. 9.00 for a small container of pesto is an example. Everything is at least 25% more there. There is also a bike shop in SW harbor that is always busy so you won't be able to get your bike tuned but they have just about everything else. Small outfit but very nice.

Going over to Seawall side there are a couple of hikes there that are fun and easy: Wonderland and Ship's Harbor. If you bike over that way you'll notice the ocean breeze drops the temp about 10 degrees or so depending on the day. Mt. Desert Isle is already about 10 degrees cooler than the mainland so that breeze can feel really good, sometimes downright chilly. It is really pretty and a nicely paved road to boot.

There is a great place to get a sandwich as you drive to the park from Ellsworth. I think it is called "Good Eats" or maybe "Mothers". Home cooking to beat the band. Lots of bakery goods, cold salads, and great sandwiches. If you are heading to Ellsworth from the park it is on the right hand side next to a farm supply store. If you are heading into the park from Ellsworth it is on the left hand side. The farm supply store and Mother's share the same lot. There are a couple of umbrellas and picnic tables out in front of Mother's.

Great place for swimming is Echo Lake. You can go to the beach at one end of the lake(crowded) or go to the ledges that are in the middle of the lake(less crowded). Echo lake is on the road to Southwest Harbor. Very deep. Clear, clean, and brisk. Awesome on a hot day.

We used to go in August as we found it rained a lot less then compared to the earlier summer months. This is changing though. This year we went in July(8-24) and had only 2 days of rain. Plus they hadn't any rain for the prior two-three weeks so there were no mosquitoes to speak of. Since that time they have had a ton of rain. So I guess we lucked out. The sun used to be really mild up there but that is no longer. I got burned on a beach after one hour of exposure with no sunscreen at mid day. Kind of surprising. I do burn but the sun feels a lot hotter to me now than it used to when I was younger and I don't ever recall getting burned after one hour of exposure mid day or not.

Great place to vacation. Long drive from NYC(10hr) but we break it up with a stay at some B/B's in Freeport on the way up and Portsmouth on the way back.

BumbleBeeDave
08-13-2008, 01:17 PM
. . . like the plague after my daughter and I wandered in there two years ago. It was apparently a few minutes before closing time, though we didn't know it. The owner(?)--guy with a British accent--came over and told us "Move yer' bums and get out--I'm closing." He was very rude and so we "moved our bums" and I will never go in there again. There was no reason for him to treat us that way. Just really left me PO'ed. No great loss--Bar Harbor Bike Shop has a much better selection.

BBD

dnades
08-13-2008, 07:50 PM
Dave,

That is really rude behavior. :butt: People like that should go work alone somewhere. The guy I dealt with doesn't have a British accent and has been there for more than two years(at least 5 years at this point) along with his wife(who is newer). I don't know if they are the owners but they were definitely in charge there.

Bar harbor bike has a lot more selection but it is also in Bar harbor. It is worth it to go and see the bling there and they have some serottas too. They had a real pretty orange fierte that was just a tad bit too big for my wife. Not that she needed a road bike mind you. But it would be fun to surprise her.

BumbleBeeDave
08-13-2008, 08:36 PM
. . . the guy said something more like "Up yer' bum and get out" . . . I was trying to be diplomatic in the earlier post. Perhaps he thought I didn't know what it meant. His mistake. I'd love a good reason to go in there again, but his behavior just p*ssed me off so much. I normally stay in Hulls Cove at The Colony--much closer to Bar Harbor--so the BH shop is much closer to me. The Colony is a great motel. The manager--who also ironically is British--is a great lady, really nice. And the motel is very close to the visitor center with it's carriage road entrance. It's also an easy connection to the interior of the island--take a right off Rt. 3 onto Crooked Road and you're set to get to the whole island without having to go on one of the Highways. Rt. 3 is awful over toward BH. I stay off of there on the bike except to get the quarter mile up to the visitor center access road.

BBD

rounder
08-13-2008, 08:50 PM
here are a few pics a friend of mine took there...

Sorry, the pictures wouldn't load. Anyway, I have been to Acadia many times and agree with what everyone here has said so far. The only comments i would add are that the park loop ride with all the stops is a must. The view from Cadillac Mountain is incredible (always wondered how that huge boulder ended up on top of the mountain), and that the park is beautiful in all seasons.

BumbleBeeDave
08-13-2008, 08:53 PM
here are a few pics a friend of mine took there...

I'm not seeing the link.

BBD

AngryScientist
08-31-2018, 11:54 AM
10-year buuuuump.

how are the carriage roads up there? 32c smooth tire good for these?

i'm planning a fall trip up that way.

GregL
08-31-2018, 01:19 PM
10-year buuuuump.

how are the carriage roads up there? 32c smooth tire good for these?

i'm planning a fall trip up that way.
They are super-smooth. A skilled roadie could ride them on 23s. Smooth 32s would be a piece of cake.

Greg

AngryScientist
08-31-2018, 01:31 PM
They are super-smooth. A skilled roadie could ride them on 23s. Smooth 32s would be a piece of cake.

Greg

thank you Greg! This is good news and means i can bring only one set of wheels/tires to run on both the roads and carriage roads.

GregL
08-31-2018, 01:45 PM
thank you Greg! This is good news and means i can bring only one set of wheels/tires to run on both the roads and carriage roads.
You will love Acadia. One of my favorite places on the planet. If you are there off-peak (before or after prime leaf peeping season), it should be pretty quiet. The views are stunning and the carriage roads are the nicest gravel roads you may ever ride. Both pics below taken from the carriage roads (the better one by my artistically talented wife). Can't wait to get back there!

AngryScientist
08-31-2018, 01:49 PM
excellent, and yes, that first pic is very well done!

i'm planning on driving up next week for some mental health therapy. it looks like (knocking on wood) the weather will be ideal for riding, hiking and camping.

i have never been to acadia, but have been to so many national parks out west and rave about them. it seems like i should definitely see what the northeast has to offer!

ERK55
08-31-2018, 01:58 PM
Ah yes, nice view of Eagle lake.
I am going up next week... the Acadia carriage trails are the one and only place my wife will ride with me. So her bike gets a workout once a year. In 2016 we were riding a loop when a nice horse-drawn carriage appeared. Passenger was an older gent with a straw hat- he waved to us. Someone greeted him "good morning Mr. Rockefeller!" Turns out it was David Rockefeller. He died a few months later at 101.

The roads are well groomed. In the past I used 32 Challenge Almanzo's on a 'cross bike...no problem.

wgp
08-31-2018, 03:02 PM
Too funny, as I write this sitting on the deck of our rental house, looking out over Somes Sound on the last day of our vacation here in Acadia. It is absolutely beautiful and every day over this last two weeks I’ve wished that I brought my bike - but I didn’t :crap::crap:
Have a great time here Angry and ERK55!,

AngryScientist
08-31-2018, 03:20 PM
Too funny, as I write this sitting on the deck of our rental house, looking out over Somes Sound on the last day of our vacation here in Acadia. It is absolutely beautiful and every day over this last two weeks I’ve wished that I brought my bike - but I didn’t :crap::crap:
Have a great time here Angry and ERK55!,

awesome.

where'd you eat?
what was your favorite day's worth of activities??

GregL
08-31-2018, 03:43 PM
where'd you eat?
Jumping in because Mt. Desert Island is one of my favorite places!

Food:
Jordan's Restaurant (http://www.jordanswildblueberry.com/default.aspx)- Without exaggeration, my family ate here almost every day during our Acadia visits. We would get up fairly early and hike for 3-5 hours, then hit Jordan's for brunch. By noon, the breakfast crowd is gone and you can literally walk in and grab a table.

The Jordan Pond House (https://jordanpondhouse.com/)- The afternoon tea and popovers on the lawn are a great break from riding the carriage roads.

Activities: everything! Make time to hike as well as bike. The climbs in Acadia are short but can be very steep and physically demanding. Get to the Beehive and Precipice (https://acadiamagic.com/precipice-trail.htm)trails early to avoid congestion. We always hike these park favorites first thing in the morning when we can enjoy the peace and silence. If you like watersports, there are multiple places to kayak around the island.

I could go on forever. I suggest reading this thread from the beginning. As best I can tell, the recommendations are all still valid.

Greg

wgp
08-31-2018, 03:43 PM
You must must must eat at Burning Tree! Went there last night and headed back again tonight for our last meal here on MDI! Not cheap but no more than any of the other biggies here. Call now for reservations.

I’ll post up some hike recommendations when I’ve got more time - 12 hour drive back to DC tomorrow and packing for an early departure right now, before dinner tonight!

GregL
08-31-2018, 03:49 PM
Forgot to add: Mount Desert Island has a great, free shuttle bus service centered around Bar Harbor. We used the shuttle bus often to avoid parking hassles and to get to trailheads. For example, we took the shuttle to the Cadillac Mountain north trailhead. We climbed to the summit and then hiked down via the south trail to the Otter Creek Campground. At Otter Creak, we picked up the shuttle back to Bar Harbor. Fast, efficient, and eco-friendly!

Greg

2metalhips
08-31-2018, 04:18 PM
For something different I would suggest taking your bike on the Winter Harbor ferry out of BH and riding at Schoodic Point, also part of ANP but much less visited. There is a loop there with some new gravel although I have not ridden it yet. As others have said 32's are fine. In Southwest Harbor off Seal Cove Rd there are some dirt roads that are part of ANP but not carriage roads.

hotspur.serotta
08-31-2018, 11:15 PM
Spent a week there in fall couple years ago for photography. Got some spectacular pictures. But seeing cyclists on those narrow roads gave me the shivers - glad I was not out there with the traffic.

wgp
09-03-2018, 04:20 PM
awesome.

where'd you eat?

So our daily activity was hiking for 3-4 hours in the morning, followed by a lobster roll for lunch. Best lobster rolls? Either Thurston's Lobster Pound or Beal's Lobster pier, both on the West side of MDI (the quieter side).

Eating? Like I said before, by far the best was Burning Tree - get reservations ahead of time. Red Sky and Havana are well known, but not at the level of Burning Tree we felt. Cafe This Way is nice, as is Coda (both in Southwest Harbor).

Best hikes? Almost all are just fantastic, but some of the highlights for me were:

** Climbs to both Sargent Mountain and Penobscot (both right next to each other), take Deer Cliff trail up to Sargent or Spring Trail up to Penobscot.

** Beehive climb (not for those fearful of heights, nor is Precipice Trail).

** Sand Beach and Great Head trail (amazing water views up close)

**Gorge Path to Cadillac Mountain

Get the Falcon Guide "Hiking Acadia National Park"

Ohh, BTW, one of the best beer selections I have EVER come across is at Liquor Locker in Southwest Harbor - go there!!! They still had Founder's CBS available (long gone down here in DC), and I bought four bottles!

AngryScientist
09-03-2018, 07:10 PM
So our daily activity was hiking for 3-4 hours in the morning, followed by a lobster roll for lunch. Best lobster rolls? Either Thurston's Lobster Pound or Beal's Lobster pier, both on the West side of MDI (the quieter side).

Eating? Like I said before, by far the best was Burning Tree - get reservations ahead of time. Red Sky and Havana are well known, but not at the level of Burning Tree we felt. Cafe This Way is nice, as is Coda (both in Southwest Harbor).

Best hikes? Almost all are just fantastic, but some of the highlights for me were:

** Climbs to both Sargent Mountain and Penobscot (both right next to each other), take Deer Cliff trail up to Sargent or Spring Trail up to Penobscot.

** Beehive climb (not for those fearful of heights, nor is Precipice Trail).

** Sand Beach and Great Head trail (amazing water views up close)

**Gorge Path to Cadillac Mountain

Get the Falcon Guide "Hiking Acadia National Park"

Ohh, BTW, one of the best beer selections I have EVER come across is at Liquor Locker in Southwest Harbor - go there!!! They still had Founder's CBS available (long gone down here in DC), and I bought four bottles!

thanks for reporting back!

i'll definitely be taking some of these suggestions, though i'm not in for long.

buddybikes
09-03-2018, 08:07 PM
To explore a bit, Blue Hill, down to Deer Isle penninsula is beautiful. Kayaking on deer isle was spectacular.

marciero
09-04-2018, 06:08 AM
Was out there two weeks ago. Am there every year once every summer for a work and often one other time when I stay in Hancock and ride over. We always include riding. Have avoided the carriage roads in recent years due mostly to a general aversion to rail trails and bike paths but Bumble Bee Dave's account has me wanting to re-visit. The loop road itself is a wonderful road for riding-smooth pavement, rolling terrain, wonderful expansive views of the coastline and ocean, especially the portion east of route 3. There is no commercial traffic, so all the vehicles are touristy-type and slow moving. They may be more likely to expect bicycles. Sargent Drive is also a destination road for us, followed by sandwiches in Northeast Harbor. (Cant remember names) Cadillac Mountain is obligatory too.
The western side of the island is a different vibe. The roads are more remote with fewer sweeping vistas. The main roads have less traffic, but what little there is can be fast-moving, and sometimes little shoulder. Still nice riding though on some of the roads. We rode out to Bass Harbor lighthouse one year.

benb
09-04-2018, 08:44 AM
Talk about an ancient thread.. I've been there a bunch and love it.

The thread (and my last visit) predate gravel bikes and a lot of our great selection of fatter tires we have now.

I'd be all over 32c tires on a gravel bike as the perfect bike to take there if you could only take one.

I've done the carriage trails on 25s and it was doable but you had to be careful, and I've climbed Cadillac mountain on my mountain bike and that was fine too but not as exciting as a road bike.

So for my money something with about 32s would be the perfect compromise.

AngryScientist
09-04-2018, 09:07 AM
excellent feedback.

the Swan is all kitted out with frame pump, feed bag and 32 stampede pass ready to roll.

https://instagram.fewr1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/vp/29be5b93c3c9197eba2d12604767859a/5C3A96E2/t51.2885-15/e35/40496148_958940140964736_2052396566657880878_n.jpg ?_nc_eui2=AeEy9vubqvBN91HBLxWZ1D5qzkBr-_uj5YAsUdPVN5rVR3ohpn9CGLwrMOlt1Lt_rKG1veP8JsfsvVZ AYbIxxirckdEPqrIlAojLUsjkIp9cBA

majorpat
09-04-2018, 11:12 AM
Done this and it is certainly uncrowded almost anytime. My mother stays in a place off Gouldsboro Point Rd on Joy Bay and there are plenty of rides, Corea, Prospect Harbor, Schoodic, Winter Harbor, etc. The vast majority of visitors never go east of Ellsworth to head Down East. Definitely quieter but also less available for tourists.

Pat

For something different I would suggest taking your bike on the Winter Harbor ferry out of BH and riding at Schoodic Point, also part of ANP but much less visited. There is a loop there with some new gravel although I have not ridden it yet. As others have said 32's are fine. In Southwest Harbor off Seal Cove Rd there are some dirt roads that are part of ANP but not carriage roads.

93KgBike
09-04-2018, 01:29 PM
Just added to the list of possibles for next summer! Great thread!

AngryScientist
09-04-2018, 01:33 PM
Great thread!

agreed! this forum always proves to be a hugely valuable resource with recommendations for all sorts of things and places.

wgp
09-04-2018, 05:41 PM
All I can say is ..... GO!

This was our second summer vacation there; last year just one week, this year two weeks. Just spectacular climate and environment up there, plus all the lobster you can eat (but surprised that it's not as cheap as you might hope for "right at the source" - essentially the same price as back home).

quattro
05-01-2019, 06:51 AM
Bumping this great thread as I'm in the planning stages for a trip to Acadia from July 3 - July 7, with my wife and our road bikes. From reading the thread, most people recommend wider tires, however we do not have gravel bikes, so I'm looking to put 25mm tires on our road bikes. Will we be ok riding the carriage trails on 25mm tires? From reading prior posts they provide a great road map for where to go and what to do while visiting, so I'll ask for some favorite destinations, restaurants from your recent visits. Also, what guide book would you recommend I pick up for visiting the park?
Thanks,
quattro

AngryScientist
05-01-2019, 10:06 AM
Bumping this great thread as I'm in the planning stages for a trip to Acadia from July 3 - July 7, with my wife and our road bikes. From reading the thread, most people recommend wider tires, however we do not have gravel bikes, so I'm looking to put 25mm tires on our road bikes. Will we be ok riding the carriage trails on 25mm tires? From reading prior posts they provide a great road map for where to go and what to do while visiting, so I'll ask for some favorite destinations, restaurants from your recent visits. Also, what guide book would you recommend I pick up for visiting the park?
Thanks,
quattro

great.

you're going to love it! Great riding out there! Plenty of good pure road riding, and most of the carriage trails are acceptable for 25's, but some of the [real] gravel trails are too chunky for 25's. even my 32's were sinking in on those.

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-X-uqp7qZRlw/W5UrEmuEZqI/AAAAAAAADF0/x6xenzNM6-IaYRy3sLCbiFU0uIekEXqRQCLcBGAs/s1200/IMG_2991.JPG

2metalhips
05-01-2019, 01:29 PM
Be prepared for traffic jams, super busy time of year. Get out early.

quattro
05-01-2019, 01:48 PM
great.

you're going to love it! Great riding out there! Plenty of good pure road riding, and most of the carriage trails are acceptable for 25's, but some of the [real] gravel trails are too chunky for 25's. even my 32's were sinking in on those.

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-X-uqp7qZRlw/W5UrEmuEZqI/AAAAAAAADF0/x6xenzNM6-IaYRy3sLCbiFU0uIekEXqRQCLcBGAs/s1200/IMG_2991.JPG

Angry, great picture, and thanks for the recommendations. What do you think of riding Vittoria Corsa Elite tubulars 25-28mm on the carriage roads? My second option is changing my 23mm tires to 25mm on my clincher wheelset.

GregL
05-01-2019, 03:58 PM
I concur with this assessment. The more heavily used carriage roads around Eagle Lake and Jordan Pond can be ridden with 25s. The lesser used (and hillier) carriage roads (e.g., Around-Mountain Road and Day Mountain) would be more difficult with 25s. I used Ritchey Speedmax 32s on my last three trips to Acadia. They were overkill for the easier carriage roads, but near-perfect for the more challenging areas. I'll be using Panaracer Gravel King SK 35s when I'm at Acadia later this month. I expect them to be comfortable and more than enough tire. I'll report back next month!

Greg

quattro
05-12-2019, 08:12 PM
My plans to visit Acadia with my wife this summer are pretty set, driving up from Boston on July 3rd, staying through July 7, bringing our road bikes, both will have 25mm tires. We have the option to stay at B&B's in either Bar Harbor or South West Harbor, what would you all recommend as the best option, taking into consideration the need to drive with bikes to the park to ride and hike, wanting to find a place to rent kayaks, and for meals. Appreciate your insights on best location for our stay.

Thanks,
quattro

marciero
05-13-2019, 05:50 AM
My plans to visit Acadia with my wife this summer are pretty set, driving up from Boston on July 3rd, staying through July 7, bringing our road bikes, both will have 25mm tires. We have the option to stay at B&B's in either Bar Harbor or South West Harbor, what would you all recommend as the best option, taking into consideration the need to drive with bikes to the park to ride and hike, wanting to find a place to rent kayaks, and for meals. Appreciate your insights on best location for our stay.

Thanks,
quattro

You have two very distinct choices there. Bar Harbor has the best access to the main part of the park with the "loop roads" and carriage roads, which you can ride to-a short distance. Cadillac Mt. is out there as well as the other main attractions of the park. Bar Harbor is a big town with lots of choices for meals and anything else, and also has lots of tourist traffic, especially around the time you are going.

Southwest Harbor is less populated, less trafficked. There are still a couple of restaurants, (including a very nice one at the Claremont Hotel, a classic, beautiful but unpretentious New England resort hotel overlooking Somes Sound), a nice grocery with lots of prepared options, and even a bike shop. I love that part of the island-there is access to the more remote parts of the park (Acadia Park is non-contiguous) as well as more remote paved roads, light houses, etc. The downside is that you would have a long ride on some main roads (or a very long ride on fewer main roads) to get to the main portion of the park with the carriage and loop roads. You cant go to MDI and not experience that!

You're going to have a great time either way, but I would probably recommend Bar Harbor for the access. You can still ride to less populated areas and small towns like Seal Harbor and Northeast Harbor, depending on the distances you want to do. And of course you can drive to the other side of the island. Of course, if you want a quieter experience and stay in SWH you can also drive to BH. It sounds like you will be out there long enough to experience much of what MDI has to offer regardless of where you stay.

marciero
05-13-2019, 05:58 AM
...and I recommend this map. It has all the loop and carriage roads, hiking trails, and main roads at a decent scale.
https://www.mapadventures.com/products/acadia-national-park-waterproof-trail-map

marciero
05-13-2019, 06:13 AM
duplicate

Dsteiker
07-02-2019, 09:16 AM
Planning a trip up to Acadia. Been looking at the maps of the carriage paths. Can anyone point out some good ride GPS courses for the area?

Thanks

GregL
07-02-2019, 10:59 AM
Planning a trip up to Acadia. Been looking at the maps of the carriage paths. Can anyone point out some good ride GPS courses for the area?

Thanks

Ride With GPS Bar Harbor carriage road routes (https://ridewithgps.com/find#search/0/search%5Boffset%5D=0&search%5Bstart_distance%5D=50&search%5Bstart_location%5D=Bar+Harbor%2C+Maine&search%5Bkeywords%5D=carriage&search%5Blength_min%5D=0&search%5Blength_max%5D=500&search%5Belevation_min%5D=0&search%5Belevation_max%5D=10000&search%5Bsort_by%5D=)

Greg