PDA

View Full Version : SRAM Red

mso
06-29-2008, 09:05 AM
Who's using it?

Would like honest review...please.

I've been reading reviews online and they're ...

Let me know your opinion.

rePhil
06-29-2008, 10:07 AM
I'm curious as well. I have read a lot about people switching,but have read nothing to make me switch from Campy.

soulspinner
06-29-2008, 11:00 AM
There are some reviews on roadbikereview.com. My lbs mechanic guru says give them a couple more years. They have to go a way to be as reliable as my 8 and 10 speed Campy.

ecl2k
06-29-2008, 12:20 PM
I've done all the research and here are my findings:

1) try a bike with red first, if you don't like the ergonomics then it's a bad choice for you no matter how technically superior or light it might be.
2) if you like the ergonomics, the choice is mainly based on price (varies widely, ranging from pretty cheap on ebay to msrp at your LBS) and appearance.

Seriously every comparison shows that all the top groups work great and are probably better than you need them to be, so pick something that fits nice, that you can afford, and that you are going to love looking at.

Bruce K
06-29-2008, 12:45 PM
I have it on 2 bikes and love it. Partly because the ergonomics are a better fit for my hands than the D-A 10 speed hoods.

I like the action as well plus the fact that they will shift when loaded.

I have about 1500 miles on the Red and about 3000 on all my SRAM bikes.

Just my 2 cents.

BK

pdxmech13
06-29-2008, 01:28 PM
The shifters are the most outstanding item of the sram line due to their ergonomics. As for the shifting controls they are just different than the other brands. Shifting is accurate and crisp. It is one of the easier shifters to use in the drops for shifting up and down the cluster.

I have used a shimano chain and cassette due to the few options that were available in gear ratio's with the red cassette. Even with the mostly shimano drivetrain it runs much louder than the other two brands. If you like a really silent running bike I would recommend using chain lube a little more frequently as this has made a difference.

The only other part that caught my attention was the brakes. A lot of work went into making them light and strong. As most have said I would rate their stopping power not as high as a durace caliper but they have great modulation similar to campy. One improvement that I could recommend would be to use a higher level of brinell steel for the pad hardware as the ones that are used seem soft and make toe adjustment more difficult than needed.

My overall complaint is that this is a top end kit from a maufacturer however it dosn't have a higher level of finish quality than its lower level siblings. Finish appears to be a second thought and certainly not as durable as the Japanese or Itailain brands. One thing that I always am amazed by shimano is that from any angle that you look at a Durace part, it has an even and consistent polish.

The Kit isn't all that much differnent than say that of the most recent introduction of Force. Save some ceramics here and there but is that really such a big deal ? Let's hope however that SRAM continues to do what they have really excelled at the most and listen to the consumer. Continueing to do this should make the next installment just that much better.

I hope this quick response is somewhat helpful.

Nick

PaulE
06-29-2008, 03:10 PM
in two rides on SRAM Red after Dura Ace 10 speed for one year and Ultegra 9 speed for many years. I have the full Red group with the 50/34 compact and the 11-26 power dome cassette. The drive train is definitely noisier than Shimano or Campy. I assumed it was due to the hollow power dome cassette, but pdxmech13 is using a Shimano cassette and it's noisy for him too.

So far so good for me. My only complaint is front derailleur trim. With a 50/34 compact and 11/26 cassette, I can't use the 3 smallest rear cogs with the small chainring due to front derailleur chain rub on the outer edge of the cage. Raise the lower limit screw to get one more small cog, 3rd from the end, and then the chain rubs the inner edge of the fd cage in the 26 tooth cog. Try rotating the front derailleur ever so slightly from parallel to the chain rings and that creates other problems. The front derailleur trim is great in the big ring, I can use any rear cog with the big ring and not have any chain rub. If they would just build one more click into the front shifter for small ring trim, I would be golden. And since the rear shifter has 9 clicks, 4 for the front doesn't seem like it would be an impossible manufacturing feat to me. For the racers, this probably wouldn't be an issue.

While I don't think the finish is as nice as Dura Ace 10 speed, it's not bad. The front and rear derailleur high and low limit screws and the rear derailleur B limit screw look like they came out of Ace Hardware and the front derailleur braze on adaptor clamp is pretty chintzy looking to me. Other than that, the finish level and quality look pretty good. I know some people here are using the SRAM braze-on adaptor clamp. I'm sure it's light and works well, but it is not my cup of tea, so I went with a Campy clamp.

Bruce K
06-29-2008, 04:01 PM
I'm running Red with an FSA crank and 50-34 chainrings.

Rival 11-28 or Red 11-26 cassettes both run fine right out to the 12 tooth cog. It sounds to me like you need a little readjustment. :rolleyes:

BK

Aspen
06-29-2008, 04:06 PM
I've used DA for at least 10 years, first 9 then 10 speed and decided to put Red on one of my bikes a few months ago. It took a few minutes to figure out how the shifting works. The only thing that was surprising to me is the solid feel and authoritative sound that it makes when shifting in the rear, just took a while to get used to coming from the quiet sound of DA. No issues with trim. Slightly noiser when in the big cogs of the 11-26 but no big deal. The levers are perfectly shaped for me. The finish of the group is perhaps a little less than desired but I like it so much that I'm putting on two of my other bikes right now. The new DA just doesn't do it for me esthetically and I don't like the large hoods and cables of the current DA. I doubt that I'll ever look back.

Climb01742
06-29-2008, 04:23 PM
DA user forever. tried force, then red. love the hoods. red shifts better than force, noticeably so, but still not nearly as well as 7800. i really wanted to love red 'cause i dig the hoods so much...so comfy and work well with so many bar shapes to give a flat ramp. but shift quality, in particular upshifting, is still waaaaaay behind buttery smoothness and precision of DA. would imagine 7900 will widen the gap. and with new hood shape of 7900, i honestly can't see why anyone would make the leap. IMHO, sram will be #3 forever. heck, even campy is better than red. :beer:

Ripple
06-29-2008, 04:26 PM
I have 700 miles on SRAM RED (most recent group was Ultegra)

I find the levers very comfortable with various riding positions and good climbing positions. The shifting is quick with a very short throw and very intiutive. Shifting on the front derailleur is also very quick. I'm running the 53x39 with 11X26 cassette. The brakes modulate very well and are one of the strong points of the group IMO. And it's a light group which never hurts. Ability to adjust reach on the levers is a plus.

The drivetrain is a bit noisy ... nothing too annoying, but noticeable. On long rides, I have started to get some numbness in my right hand ... not sure if it is caused by the RED lever yet, but could be. One more slight downside: when you shift up while in the 26, it actually drops it down to the 23. This can be a drag while climbing if you forget that you are already on the 26.

For me the pluses far outweigh the minuses ... but that is only my opinion.

(FWIW, I won't claim to be an expert with many groups. Most of my experience is with Ultegra. I was leaning toward Campy Chorus with my most recent purchase, but I couldn't get comfortable with the levers with my hands .... personal fit I guess.) It's definitely worth a test ride to see how you like the Red ....

Ripple

Charles M
06-29-2008, 04:49 PM
Good advice saying try one of their levers... Personally I like it, and as Campy and Shimano have both moved toward SRAM in Ergo's that's a pretty good vote as well. (just an observation)

I wouldn't ever say I am "X" "forever", simply because things change.

I have been pretty much solid Campy for a long time. I just like the lever shape better with SRAM and the shofting is fine. I also like having the same freehubs (in general) with Shimano.

The new Red is better than Force. tighter cleaner easier. SRAM should update those groups going forward too... But I pretty much used SRAM on the last three bikes I've built for myself.

legacysti888
06-29-2008, 07:03 PM
Good advice saying try one of their levers... Personally I like it, and as Campy and Shimano have both moved toward SRAM in Ergo's that's a pretty good vote as well. (just an observation)

I wouldn't ever say I am "X" "forever", simply because things change.

I have been pretty much solid Campy for a long time. I just like the lever shape better with SRAM and the shofting is fine. I also like having the same freehubs (in general) with Shimano.

The new Red is better than Force. tighter cleaner easier. SRAM should update those groups going forward too... But I pretty much used SRAM on the last three bikes I've built for myself.

+1 :beer:

Elefantino
06-29-2008, 07:34 PM
Flux really needs to weigh in on this.

He and his mates have been using it for serious miles all year on their LeMonds.

jtferraro
06-29-2008, 08:23 PM
One more slight downside: when you shift up while in the 26, it actually drops it down to the 23. This can be a drag while climbing if you forget that you are already on the 26.
Ripple

Yikes, I don't like the sound of that! Is this the same w/Rival & Force, too?

Bruce K
06-29-2008, 08:57 PM
I'm not sure what he means when Ripple says "shift up" when in your 26. The next cog would be the 23 if you are shifting up and there wouldn't be any more "down" as you are already as low as you can go.

I haven't had any "mystery shifts" with either of my Red bikes or my Force bike with the Red cassette.

BK

jtferraro
06-29-2008, 09:09 PM
I'm not sure what he means when Ripple says "shift up" when in your 26. The next cog would be the 23 if you are shifting up and there wouldn't be any more "down" as you are already as low as you can go.

I haven't had any "mystery shifts" with either of my Red bikes or my Force bike with the Red cassette.

BK

Hey Bruce,
I got the impression he meant 'shift up' the cassette, into a larger cog in hopes of getting into an easier gear, but since he was already in his 26T, he's implying his chain then dropped down into his 23T. Does Red not 'bottom out'...meaning you try to to move into a smaller or larger cog, but since you're at the end of the cassette, the shifter doesn't 'click' and the chain doesn't subsequently move?

John H.
06-29-2008, 09:11 PM
Most has already been said.
It is noisier than D-A, but if you use D-A cassette and chain it is about as quiet as D-A.
Hood shape is great.
Shifting- probably as good as anything for pleasure riding- for racing it is not as precise. SRAM will spank you if you make a lazy shift- also I found that I could work my right knuckles under the shifter and make it shift when I was cranking under the saddle.
I predict that 7900 D-A will make people forget the SRAM RED hoopla.

deluxerider
06-29-2008, 09:44 PM
One more slight downside: when you shift up while in the 26, it actually drops it down to the 23. This can be a drag while climbing if you forget that you are already on the 26.

i have found that if you just hold the lever when you are in the biggest cog (and you forget) the lever will just click through making no shift at all. yes, it can be a problem on a 20% grade to drop a gear.

my personal experience with red is excellent. i love it. that being said, i don't think it is any better than my DA 7800, it's just different. the shifts have a nice tactile feel to them.

Climb01742
06-30-2008, 05:38 AM
I predict that 7900 D-A will make people forget the SRAM RED hoopla.

agree. sram's one clear advantage/innovation was hood shape. unfortunately, it was easily copied. and in mechanical systems, 2 levers beat 1 for precision. and the answer to improving 2 mechanical levers is electronic, not double tap 1 lever. just my opinion but sram went down the wrong road.

soulspinner
06-30-2008, 06:21 AM
agree. sram's one clear advantage/innovation was hood shape. unfortunately, it was easily copied. and in mechanical systems, 2 levers beat 1 for precision. and the answer to improving 2 mechanical levers is electronic, not double tap 1 lever. just my opinion but sram went down the wrong road.

I think DA has hit on the best looks and Campy will not have adjustable reach levers. Less carbon (metal crank). Hidden cables and surely a better finish than SRAM. The new Campy hood looks like a blue whales underside... :bike:

Ripple
06-30-2008, 06:53 AM

BK

Sorry about that. Let me try again: When trying to shift to an easier gear when you are already in the 26, it will drop you down to the 23. Hopefully, that is a bit clearer.

Ripple

Bruce K
06-30-2008, 07:37 AM
What cassette are you using with your Red group?

Red cassettes max out at 26 teeth.

Again, no mystery shifts with mine in any gear. It might be the way you are shifting when climbing that hard (not pushing quite far enough).

Otherwise, I'm at a loss. :crap:

BK

PaulE
06-30-2008, 09:58 AM
But I think my front derailleur is dialed in as good as it can be on this frame. The outer cage is mounted perfectly parallel with the big chain ring and less than 3 mm higher than the highest teeth on the big ring. In this position, the chain rubs the outer edge of the front derailleur cage when the chain is in the 3 smallest cogs on the rear. If I dial in the low limit screw on the front derailleur any more, I get rub in the 26 cog. If I try rotating the front derailleur ever so slightly out of parallel in either direction, it doesn't help unless I rotate it outwards to the point where the outer edge of the cage starts to rub on the inside of the crank arm when in the big ring. Smaller rotations out of parallel just cause a rubbing issue in the big ring or don't fix the issue in the small ring. I really believe it is a combination of the parts on this frame - the 34.9 mm seat tube, chainstay length (41.5 - 42 cm) and the Red compact crank - that are causing this. Maybe it's the Campy braze-on adapter clamp, maybe it's the White Industries rear hub, although I've swapped this wheel with Shimano and Mavic Ksyrium rear wheels on Shimano equipped bikes and had perfect shifting without ever making any adjustments.

I'll try a Shimano clamp, different rear wheel and fiddling with the front derailleur some more, but my guess is that I won't end up with anything different. I don't doubt that yours works as described, but I think different frames will have different results. And when Shimano's Dura Ace 7900 comes out with no front derailleur trim, I'm sure that there will be plenty of bikes that it works just fine on, and others that will have some minor issues.

I'm running Red with an FSA crank and 50-34 chainrings.

Rival 11-28 or Red 11-26 cassettes both run fine right out to the 12 tooth cog. It sounds to me like you need a little readjustment. :rolleyes:

BK

ejh
06-30-2008, 10:18 AM
I got to test ride a Specialized Tarmac SL2 3 weeks ago, W/Red, for a weekend, about 120 miles. It took some getting use to it was ok I don't thing worth the $. D/A and Record I think both shift better. It helped the bike be 14.03 W/O pedles. The brifters were not as comfi as me campy, for my hands only. The only thing I liked better then my campy is its easer to shift up in a sprint. Now the SL2 that is another story it rode very nice and the frame and fork had to follow me home, and built up W/ Campy courus, pedels and cages, computer comer in at 15.8.

Sasha18
06-30-2008, 11:46 AM
I like my red. I don't have a lot of time logged on it and I'm moving from campy record 9 to red. But you asked about comparisons to campy. My impressions:

-The lever shape is more comfortable, but not a revolution as others suggest.
-For my small hands, the lever adjust is a revelation.
-The shifting is even more tactile and responsive than campy (i'm comparing to newly rebuilt with new g springs). This was the reason I prefer campy to shimano, so all the better.
-The rear shifting SEEMS less fussy. From what I understand that is a SRAM innovation.
-It is noisier, especially when shifting under load going really slow. I don't notice it when I'm moving fast. I assume this is because of the hollow cassette. For the weight and supposed durability of the cassette, I'll take the noise.
-I sold the crank out of the group, so no experience.
-I run a DA chain.

I wouldn't say it's substantially different from campy. It works really well, flawlessly in fact, and it's much more group than I can justify with my legs.

As for the downshifting in the 26, I think they solved this in red. The first iterations of force would downshift if you tried to upshift above 26. Someone may correct me.

PaulE
06-30-2008, 11:55 AM
As for the downshifting in the 26, I think they solved this in red. The first iterations of force would downshift if you tried to upshift above 26. Someone may correct me.

With my recently purchased Red, if I'm in the 26 cog and mistakenly try to downshift to a non-existent larger rear cog with a big push of the lever, not a small one to shift down to the 23, I get a "click" but it stays in the 26. And when I subsequently make a small push to go to the 23 cog, it goes no problem.

torquer
06-30-2008, 12:49 PM
The only thing that was surprising to me is the solid feel and authoritative sound that it makes when shifting in the rear.

First time I heard that "authoritative sound" was from someone downshifting just as I about to launch off of them in a sprint; I thought his wheel was about to disintegrate! Made me back off just enough to lose the wheel.

Not that I was going to win that sprint anyway.

Aspen
06-30-2008, 10:16 PM
With my recently purchased Red, if I'm in the 26 cog and mistakenly try to downshift to a non-existent larger rear cog with a big push of the lever, not a small one to shift down to the 23, I get a "click" but it stays in the 26. And when I subsequently make a small push to go to the 23 cog, it goes no problem.

Paul has this correct. You have to push far enough to make the pretty loud click then you know that you are in the 26 and can't downshift further.

Z3c
07-01-2008, 03:54 AM
Having ridden DA through 9 speed and 10 speed, I decided to see what Red would be like. For me, I don't like the double-tap mechanisim because it requires me to think about shifting more than DA since you can move the chain both ways with the same lever. Maybe I'm challenged here, but riding along with DA, I can tap away and never make a bad shift. On my Red bike, it requires a brief moment of thinking about what I am attempting to do so I can easy tap or more deliberately tap.. Like I said, maybe I'm slow, certainly very DA programmed at a minimum and that certainly has something to do with it.

My Red bike will be for sale in the near future.. 56cm Cervelo SLC-SL.

Scott