PDA

View Full Version : Why not market/sell 'Homebrew Lube'?

M.Sommers
06-28-2008, 05:51 PM
We all know the 3:1 mineral spirits and synthetic motor oil lube. I use full synthetic in my car, 5w/30 Pento or LubriMoly (German stuff) and I change it every 3-5K (overkill to a degree but my car is The Millenium Falcon). When my oil is removed from the car, it's so clean that my mechanics use it on their cars.

With that...oil is a billion dollars a barrel now, why doesn't someone re-use their motor oil, recycle it, blend it with mineral sprits and sell it by the quart on this Forum? It'd be green, carbon-efficient and simply a smart, nice gesture among cyclists.

If there are any chemical/physics freaks on the Forum, let me know your thoughts. I would be happy to recycle my near-new fully synthetic oil, mix it with mineral spirits and sell it by the quart for a few bucks. I use my old toothbrush, you can use yours.

Also, I do not want to throw out my old chains any more. Where can they be taken to be recycled, pun intended.

:beer:

maunahaole
06-28-2008, 06:14 PM
1. Used motor oil is sorta toxic. Combustion byproducts create some nasty stuff in it.

2. The chain is steel. Pretty easy to find a place that will recycle steel these days.

M.Sommers
06-28-2008, 06:20 PM
1. Used motor oil is sorta toxic. Combustion byproducts create some nasty stuff in it.

2. The chain is steel. Pretty easy to find a place that will recycle steel these days.

I hear you on # 1. I've sent my oil out to be tested to analyze the health of my engine. I guess the question crossed my mind, could the fully synthetic, after just ~5K miles, be used on a bike chain? It's oil that should/could be used for 10K miles.

If it's still too dirty to functionally use on a bike chain after 3-5K miles in The Falcon, then perhaps I could simply make quarts of new stuff and 'sell' it to members (I'd try to barter it for either a new tube or a Star Wars action figure etc or *cough* some Kona coffee).

maunahaole
06-28-2008, 06:26 PM
I have 3 quarts of leftover new synthetic motorcycle oil sitting in my storage. I'm homebrewing local style. You need a better pitch to pry Kona coffee out of me. What you are doing now might only get you Kauai coffee. Besides, Ka'u coffee is what the cool kids are drinking now anyway.

M.Sommers
06-28-2008, 06:33 PM
I have 3 quarts of leftover new synthetic motorcycle oil sitting in my storage. I'm homebrewing local style. You need a better pitch to pry Kona coffee out of me. What you are doing now might only get you Kauai coffee. Besides, Ka'u coffee is what the cool kids are drinking now anyway.

****!!!

What if I send you a DVD of 'The Brady Bunch' episode where they Bradys go on vaca to Hawaii only to have an evil Tiki necklace turn the whole thing upside down:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSoUmsc2D4U

PS. I surf a 9'8" Yater Spoon in coke bottle green and a 10' Velzy Pig. Both signed by Renny and Dale.

maunahaole
06-28-2008, 06:47 PM
Cousin Oliver makes me homicidal.

Did you know that the water temp. here is about 75?