PDA

View Full Version : flakey wheel builder

bluedog18
06-28-2008, 05:33 PM
I really don't want to take this route by making this public matter but the other alternative is legal action. I had custom wheel set built and supposable shipped on may 15 and today is june 28 and still no wheels. I’ve repeatedly ask for the tracking number, I’m either ignored or told he’ll give me the number later or next day which then I don’t hear anything for another week or two or he looking into the matter with the shipping, but again nothing from him. He has my $1000 and my Chris King hub set, personally I’m starting to think that he just pocket my money and sold my hubs. Since with no tracking number I can’t check myself to prove if he shipped it or not. I’ve called and email but rarely ever hear anything back. I’ve contacted local bike shops near his shop and they have never heard of him or the shop.

Asking if anyone would be able to help me in this matter before I take legal action, The guy’s name is Marcus Collibolletti, I believe that is the correct spelling of his last name but I can’t not find anyone in the world with the same last name which to me sounds odd. The company’s name is Cherry Valley Wheel Works located in Beaumont, CA. I do have the shop’s phone number and address and I have Marcus email but I’m looking for additional information that would help in contracting him so I can settle this matter. Another bit of information I got from talking to city officials in Beaumont and was told that Cherry Valley Wheel Works is own by Mark Hoskin, which I cannot find any additional information on him either other than a compliant about him stiffing some money from a guy on mountain bike review a couple of years back. The biggest problem is I’m located on the east coast and he’s in Beaumont, CA

Any information please PM me

thejen12
06-28-2008, 05:47 PM
Just curious, how did you come to order a set of wheels from this guy, all the way across the country? It doesn't sound like you know too much about him.

Jenn

false_Aest
06-28-2008, 05:58 PM
Hmmm,

Would it make sense to contact your bank or CC company?

bluedog18
06-28-2008, 06:16 PM
Yes I have contact the CC company and filled out the paper work and sent it today. I should be able to get the money back but for my Chris King hubset not sure about that. I'm assuming the if I don't get my hubs back that would be consider theft.

I had a friend that had a set built up by him before and didn't have a problem.

weiwentg
06-28-2008, 08:44 PM
http://www.cyclingforums.com/archive/index.php/t-171912.html

H1449-6
06-28-2008, 08:47 PM
Sounds like an expensive lesson.

cdimattio
06-28-2008, 09:16 PM
Marcus Collibolletti, I believe that is the correct spelling of his last name but I can’t not find anyone in the world with the same last name which to me sounds odd.

Marcus Collibolleti might be more familar to some by his user name Marcus Torino within the forum. You may be able to send a PM to him here directly.

As I recall he was working through some difficult personal issues. I had an similar issue with a wheel transaction which was later settled.

cadence90
06-28-2008, 10:05 PM
Sorry, but if that company is owned by "Mark Hoskin" you may be in some real trouble....

I too really hate to be publicly posting about this, but for the protection of other forumites (although that would be difficult because he has used/uses lots of aliases (Mark Hoskins; SpadaUSA; YeOldeBaldGuy; Chris Royal; Royal Wheels; etc) I feel I should....And so, "Mark Hoskin" could easily be the self-same "Marcus Collibolletti"....

Apparently, his MO (while a bit more complex than this...) is to move every so often to different places across the US (I think he started in NYC and ended continuing west to CA.); getting to know cyclists, mainly via forums I think; setting up differently named email only/internet "companies"; perhaps really delivering a few less $$$ items (hook); then making a big $$$ deal (line); and then never delivering the product and completely disappearing with the money (sinker).

To be totally fair to the guy, when he lived in LA a few years ago I bought some items (components and wheels) from him, after PMing on Weight Weenies a faiir amount (but always bought ONLY in person), and he not only delivered the goods (several times) but also on time, etc. We always had to meet at my place or at a cafe', which I thought a bit strange, but since I got the stuff....Good stuff too. And he was very nice; very kind to me. He is very charning and looks like Tom Boonen's twin.

However, I then heard about his rep (in fact didn't believe it at first) and then had it confirmed that he had indeed ripped off in a pretty big way both teams and individuals; I couldn't stomach that, as a cyclist, and I therefore cut off all contact.

You can check other sites (esp. Weight Weenies, and also FairWheelBikes and RBR I think) for threads with thoses aliases in the title, and you will read some real horror stories. I believe even some guys here can confirm all that.

So: I'm very sorry to read your story; I hope you somehow can get it resolved; and, as always unfortunately, caveat emptor....

PS: If a Forum Moderator thinks this is an inappropriate post (since I used names, etc.; please delete it at your discretion.

Mud
06-29-2008, 07:40 AM
The previous post is a winner because it just confirms what I believe about the forum. There is an overriding karma that seems to bond this group in terms of trying to do what is right for fellow cyclists.

There is no "Good Trader/Bad Trader" board and with few exceptions most deals are OK with some very expensive stuff moving along. If I put something up for sale I have no issue about people asking before they buy.

Most who buy and sell are well recognized among the forum's membership. So many wheelsbuilders, bike shop employees, industry insiders, frame makers etc contributing here as members it is easy enough to throw out a name and see what happens.

I feel badly for the originator of the thread. I once sold a Colnago to a guy in Indonesia. Oh well. I learned the hard way.

cadence90
06-29-2008, 08:40 AM
Thanks.

And as I said before, I like you because you dig Delbert McClinton.

weaponsgrade
06-29-2008, 12:57 PM
Sorry to see you going through this. I got scammed once when I posted a WTB ad (not here) a seller responded, we exchanged emails, he sent pics, and I even talked to him over the phone. Sent him a check, he cashed it and nothing. He strung me along with stories for 3 months until I finally realized I was scammed. I had a lawyer write a letter threatening legal action and the next week I got my money back.

barry1021
06-29-2008, 04:31 PM
are talented and reputable wheel builders on this forum. Just sayin'. When you have a community of honest talented people, why go anywhere else. (full disclosure: never had custom wheels done)

b21

cdimattio
06-29-2008, 05:04 PM
are talented and reputable wheel builders on this forum. Just sayin'. When you have a community of honest talented people, why go anywhere else. (full disclosure: never had custom wheels done)

b21

FWIW, the individual and wheelbuilder in question is a member of this community and forum.

Mud
06-29-2008, 05:18 PM
If his name had come up as a possibity there might have been feedback. There a couple of wheelbuilders who are prominent on the forum. If you ask a wheel building question you get an answer even though they are not building the wheel. Ask about them and you will get 50 replies, all aces on each, maybe more. There is no litmus test to join here, history and honesty on all levels are the words.

Sometimes it is the luck of the draw and sometimes the person is too slick that you are dealing with. We all have scam stories. This is as good as it gets.

I was an officer with a bank in Albuquerque at the time interest rates were in the 20%+ and it was my job to check on loans. Reagan was pesident. One of the branches had a very bright, very vulnerable young women, divorced, as manager.

Anyway, the handsome stranger comes into town, opens accounts, deposits checks that have trouble clearing, but they always become good. These transactions go on and he is always good with them, and she is taken with him. The limits keep going up and she knows she is in over her head but approves a $250K withdrawal against an uncollected check. That is when I showed up. You already figured out the unhappy ending.

We have all been taken. It is sad, and life will go on.

Kevin Grady
06-30-2008, 10:51 AM
Was an early sponsor of cyclingforum.com and had quite a few fans until transactions started going south. Then he did not back up a wheel deal with Dennis Bean-Larson, who started fixedgeargallery.com. The forum aired some other questionable transactions and he left.

Caveat Emptor.

Cdub
06-30-2008, 11:04 AM
Sorry for the unfortunate story. I once posted on this forum I wanted to buy a power tap. The named individual responded. I did not follow through with the purchase for some reason and am happy about it now.

There are good wheel builders on this site. I have just ordered a second set from one of them. We risk being taken on forums, but I believe most here are very honest and I appreciate you.

Hope you end up getting your hubs and money back.