PDA

View Full Version : Fork Recommendation: f1 to wound up

amator
06-28-2008, 12:14 PM
Have to replace the headset.......Forkwise, Its a f1 one inch threaded fork on a 2002/3 concours currently. heavy beast that :beer:
Im thinking of going wound up as Im hoping to keep the 365mm span but they come in 40 and 45 offsets. :confused:

The f1 I think is 43mm.

ive read the wound up is pretty stiff torsionally and well as laterally and would be good for those who appreciate the f1's stiffness.

Is the front end flex going to alter much if i end up with a carbon steerer ouzo pro. Consider that its a 1 inch carbon steerer.

any others i could look at?

Pete Serotta
06-28-2008, 12:41 PM
The geometry of the F1 was such that the Ouzo Pro was the fork they (serotta) were recommending for a replacement. I do not know how the WOund up specs compare but would suggest contacting your SEROTTA dealer or send a note to STEVE@SEROTTA.COM or JAMES@SEROTTA.com.

It is not that the Wound up is inferior it is only a question of angle. Also David Kirk might be able to shed some thoughts on it.

PETE

regularguy412
06-28-2008, 12:49 PM
I replaced the F1 on my CSI with an Ouzo Pro (1" steerer). Handling is just as good as, if not better than, the F1. It lightened the front end by about pound, which not only helps with climbing, but also acceleration and changing direction. I've not had any experience with Wound Up. It's likely a very good fork, but I highly recommend the Ouzo Pro as an F1 replacement.

Mike in AR:beer:

amator
06-28-2008, 01:00 PM
The geometry of the F1 was such that the Ouzo Pro was the fork they (serotta) were recommending for a replacement. I do not know how the WOund up specs compare but would suggest contacting your SEROTTA dealer or send a note to STEVE@SEROTTA.COM or JAMES@SEROTTA.com.

It is not that the Wound up is inferior it is only a question of angle. Also David Kirk might be able to shed some thoughts on it.

PETE

Woud you be referring to the later threadless f1's?

Im pretty sure the i have runs 365mm and the Op's run a span of 372

Smiley
06-28-2008, 01:26 PM
Woud you be referring to the later threadless f1's?

Im pretty sure the i have runs 365mm and the Op's run a span of 372
Don't worry about the span, I have made the switch from F1 to OP and its more important to keep the rake the same, The taller new front end will adjust the Head Tube angle slightly, trust me on this or do a search as I made the switch and debated this subject with Kelly Bedford and Reynolds.

amator
06-29-2008, 08:56 AM
Don't worry about the span, I have made the switch from F1 to OP and its more important to keep the rake the same, The taller new front end will adjust the Head Tube angle slightly, trust me on this or do a search as I made the switch and debated this subject with Kelly Bedford and Reynolds.
Thanks, I think the f1's threaded were all offset 43mm... I was thinking I had to compensate with a 40mm offset ouzo due to the taller fork to keep the same handling.

cadence90
06-29-2008, 09:03 AM
I can't answer the OP, but (I think contrary to some (maybe more experienced) riders here) I liked the original (old, subtle graphics) Wound-Up on a Strong Foco frame, but I found it noticeably the stiffest d*mn fork I ever rode, uncomfortable, and I'm no weight weenie, fwiw....

I never tried the F1, etc. but I love the Alpha-Q Sub3 (on Kish ti) and Ouzo Pro (on Marcelo).

HTH.

Marcusaurelius
06-29-2008, 12:49 PM
F1 is one of my favourite 1" forks. It's stiff and the 1" steel steer tube is very solid. I've tried 1" alpha q fork and it flexed way too much for me (210+-lbs).

I don't think I would replace an F1 with a reynolds fork simply because the axle crown difference is 7mm. Although it might sound a bit odd, I would think about putting a custom steel fork on it and then you can have it made to match the specifications of the orginal fork.

I've never noticed a huge difference when I went from a carbon to steel fork.

Brian Smith
06-29-2008, 10:26 PM
Thanks, I think the f1's threaded were all offset 43mm... I was thinking I had to compensate with a 40mm offset ouzo due to the taller fork to keep the same handling.

it actually goes the other way.
get the one they call 45mm.

In case it's important, consider also that this will make your level top tube visibly not level.

Sometimes it's just time for a new fork, but I wouldn't do it just because it was time for a headset alone.

Better weight savings can be had through seatpost, cranks, handlebars and perhaps stem, if this is a weight savings maneuver.

A refinish job might be a nice "spruce up," too, and it's easy to have a second fork painted at the same time!

amator
06-30-2008, 08:51 AM
F1 is one of my favourite 1" forks. It's stiff and the 1" steel steer tube is very solid. I've tried 1" alpha q fork and it flexed way too much for me (210+-lbs).

I don't think I would replace an F1 with a reynolds fork simply because the axle crown difference is 7mm. Although it might sound a bit odd, I would think about putting a custom steel fork on it and then you can have it made to match the specifications of the orginal fork.

I've never noticed a huge difference when I went from a carbon to steel fork.

thks.
Am still quite keen abt getting an off the shelf. the wound up is supposed to be stiff.... Span would be closest to the f1 but it doesnt come in 43 rake. i think a stiff(ish) fork on a ti frame like concors would be beneficial.
Still abit skeptical abt 1inch carbon steerer on the OP.

Ive ridden 11/8 OP peleton and its decent enough with a little flex. Frame however was a stiffish oversized alu.

With all things considered, i think that the nature of the fork should complement the character of the frame.

Would be keen to hear from those with older Ti frames who have switched out the F1.

Larry
06-30-2008, 10:06 AM
I had an F1 on my 1998 CSi. I am a Clydesdale, and the F1 was incredibly stable in all respects. I always felt confident with this fork. For whatever unknown reason I switched to a one inch Ouzo Pro. Well.... honestly I did not feel like the balance and stability of the CSi was as good.

I now ride a custom CDA with a 1 and 1/8 Ouzo fork. So...... the custom fit shortened my top tube from 57 to 55.8. It all comes together with balance
and a better sense of control.

Never liked the look of a Wound Up fork. Maybe the new ones look better.
If you are climbing alot, the lighter fork is great. But, if you are indeed heavier (over 210), you might reconsider your change to a lighter fork.

2 cents worth.

NateM
06-30-2008, 10:10 AM
The 1" Ouzo is no longer made in a 40mm rake. You are right about the axle to crown span difference if you can believe manufacturers specs. The F1 is 365mm and the Ouzo is 372mm. I just swapped out my threaded F1 for a 43mm rake Ouzo Pro. I figured this raised my front end 7mm, 57cm Ti Legend with a 73.5 HA, so now maybe its 73.2 or so. I have a 2cm heads up extension on the bike and 1cm of spacer under the stem so the fork has a lot of steerer for 1". My initial impressions are that the bike has a quicker front end and a noticeably lighter feel weight wise. I havent really pushed it on fast,bumpy corners yet as I'm still getting used to the lighter feel. I weigh 150lbs and that makes a difference with the longish carbon steerer,if I was closer to 200 lbs I think I would stick with the F1.You might want to look at the AlphaQ GS10 which comes in a 44mm rake, I think it is stiffer in the legs laterally and maybe in the steerer too (thicker wall on steerer). I have the 1" GS10 on my Calfee and it is a very nice,precise handling fork.

amator
06-30-2008, 10:15 PM
The 1" Ouzo is no longer made in a 40mm rake. You are right about the axle to crown span difference if you can believe manufacturers specs. The F1 is 365mm and the Ouzo is 372mm. I just swapped out my threaded F1 for a 43mm rake Ouzo Pro. I figured this raised my front end 7mm, 57cm Ti Legend with a 73.5 HA, so now maybe its 73.2 or so. I have a 2cm heads up extension on the bike and 1cm of spacer under the stem so the fork has a lot of steerer for 1". My initial impressions are that the bike has a quicker front end and a noticeably lighter feel weight wise. I havent really pushed it on fast,bumpy corners yet as I'm still getting used to the lighter feel. I weigh 150lbs and that makes a difference with the longish carbon steerer,if I was closer to 200 lbs I think I would stick with the F1.You might want to look at the AlphaQ GS10 which comes in a 44mm rake, I think it is stiffer in the legs laterally and maybe in the steerer too (thicker wall on steerer). I have the 1" GS10 on my Calfee and it is a very nice,precise handling fork.

Thanks for the heads up on the alpha Q.
When u mention "lighter feel weight wise" do you mean perceived better acclerating overall.

I weigh around 170.
My rides are rolling and my best climbing bike is a steel forked pegoretti.
Just thinkng aloud that maybe updating the concours to modern specs would be a good move to give it a bit of zest.... not willing to lighten 300g or so by getting a modern fork at the expense of stablity or becoming flexi in the front.

amator
06-30-2008, 10:20 PM
I had an F1 on my 1998 CSi. I am a Clydesdale, and the F1 was incredibly stable in all respects. I always felt confident with this fork. For whatever unknown reason I switched to a one inch Ouzo Pro. Well.... honestly I did not feel like the balance and stability of the CSi was as good.

I now ride a custom CDA with a 1 and 1/8 Ouzo fork. So...... the custom fit shortened my top tube from 57 to 55.8. It all comes together with balance
and a better sense of control.

Never liked the look of a Wound Up fork. Maybe the new ones look better.
If you are climbing alot, the lighter fork is great. But, if you are indeed heavier (over 210), you might reconsider your change to a lighter fork.

2 cents worth.

the steel steerer ouzo comp might be a better bet if its 1 inch.
This is an alternative the LBS told me to consider instead of the wound up