PDA

View Full Version : Carbon frameset recommendations

sokyroadie
06-28-2008, 11:33 AM
I am looking for a Carbon frameset in the $2000.00 range max. I don't want an Asian made frame (just personal preference - no drama). I also want new or NOS. I need a 52-53 TT frame. So far the leading contender is a 07 Time Edge Racer - it is barely over $2K but includes seatpost and stem. I know Look has a couple in that range but I am not familiar with them.

All suggestions and leads are appreciated. If I ever sell my Colnago ;) the budget may go up.

Thanks,
Jeff

shanerpvt
06-28-2008, 11:50 AM
you could always sell the nago & buy a Crumpton.

man, i think his bikes are TOPS!!!!

:beer:
shaner

happycampyer
06-28-2008, 12:01 PM
Since you have a Colnago, you might want to see if any of these interest you (nothing right at $2K, but you should call if anything strikes you):

http://www.racycles.com/Colnago-tp2-65.html?Pos=99999

The Extreme Powers are all built, but one of these might be of interest:

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?PAGE=WHATS_NEW&WHATS_NEW.ID=210&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Campaign+Monitor&utm_content=78558694&utm_campaign=Trade+Show+Bikes.+Photo+Bikes.+Sales+ Floor+Bikes.+On+Sale+Now.&utm_term=Photo+Bikes

jmeloy
06-28-2008, 12:04 PM
I have a Bianchi 928 CF frame/fork that I got for ~$1600 and outfitted with full Ultegra. Funny enough I kind of use it as my rainy day bike since it won't rust. Light and fun to ride.
JAM

1centaur
06-28-2008, 12:12 PM
Calfee Luna - get custom paint and it should still be under $2k.

EXTREME5
06-28-2008, 01:00 PM
If interested, I have a Fierte iT in tht size range. 2007 with approximately 1500 miles. This is a carbon/ titanium combo. Frame(red decals) and fork $1350.00 PM me if interested.

TimD
06-28-2008, 02:18 PM
Cervelo has become pretty popular among my crew - they almost (but not quite) outnumber the Serottas :)

vaxn8r
06-28-2008, 02:27 PM
Calfee Luna - get custom paint and it should still be under $2k.
I've ridden the Time. If it were me I'd get a Calfee Luna. No question which is the better bike. The Calfee will ride and feel much more like the UL Team, which I've also ridden atmo. Calfee's bikes feel very similar whether it's a D-Fly, TP or Luna. The same can not be said of Time.

nicrump
06-28-2008, 07:59 PM
get the luna or better yet look for a deal on a tetra. i have seen em right at $2k.

Bill Bove
06-29-2008, 05:44 AM
Almost all the big bike company carbon frames are made in Asia, why don't you want an Asian built frame?

Yes, I know Time and Look are both built in France but I'm not sure about the Bianchi's. A lot of very good carbon stuff comes out of Taiwan.

cadence90
06-29-2008, 06:24 AM
I agree completely with nicrump, but Billato in Italy is another option to explore perhaps. They build their own brand and many other Italian c-f frames. Custom.

Lifelover
06-29-2008, 06:28 AM
Aegis does not get much dap, but I have three friends on Victories (http://www.aegisbicycles.com/victory.html) and myself and another have Aro Sveltes (http://www.aegisbicycles.com/arosvelte.html). We all love them!

I think you can get one new for right around 2K.

Peter P.
06-29-2008, 08:47 AM
Cervelo has become pretty popular among my crew - they almost (but not quite) outnumber the Serottas :)

Cervelo won't meet his needs; they're made in Asia.

I'd definitely consider a Calfee Luna. They're within your price range and he's got a stellar reputation. A friend of mine bought one at my suggestion; he couldn't be more pleased with it.

david
06-29-2008, 09:04 AM
i think you can find some look 585s around, last year's model, for about 2k.
i have one and like it a lot.
it's a good deal at full retail.
discounted, it's a great deal.

Dave
06-29-2008, 09:07 AM
The LOOK 585 would be ideal, but you need to closely define the critical frame dimension of STA, TT length and HTL, so you get a proper fit. These days, a 52-53cm frame size doesn't mean much, since there are too many goofy ways of measuring "frame size".

At present, there aren't a lot of 53cm leftovers, but there are some and they are usually priced at $2200, although you might find one on E-bay for $2000.

sokyroadie
06-29-2008, 09:11 AM
Almost all the big bike company carbon frames are made in Asia, why don't you want an Asian built frame?

That is one reason, I am looking for something unique.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I am just not fond of the looks of the Calfee's.
Yep, Cervelo's and I think the Bianchi are Asian made.

Jeff

vaxn8r
06-29-2008, 11:34 AM
That is one reason, I am looking for something unique.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I am just not fond of the looks of the Calfee's.
Yep, Cervelo's and I think the Bianchi are Asian made.

Jeff

I like that philosophy. Personally I want one of these and I don't want to spend more than about $50K.

duke
06-29-2008, 01:15 PM
If nicrump says get the Calfee. Get the Calfee. He has forgotten more about carbon bikes then we will ever know. Just my opinion, of course.
duke

flickwet
06-29-2008, 02:27 PM
I've looked at em held touched em ain;t rode one yet, The Luna's are gorgeous I don;t know how they do it for the money, I mean except for recent bamboo all they've ever made is carbon. And like Serotta he puts his name on the downtube
Respect that

rnhood
06-29-2008, 03:12 PM
Another vote for Calfee Luna. I have a Tetra and it is a great bike in every way. The Luna is virtually identical, just a few grams heavier (maybe). They ride exactly the same - just that custom geometry is available on the Tetra.

If you're after looks and vanity, by all means buy what appeals to you. If you're not fast, well, you will at least look good.

Bob Ross
06-30-2008, 10:01 AM
Aegis does not get much dap, but I have three friends on Victories (http://www.aegisbicycles.com/victory.html) and myself and another have Aro Sveltes (http://www.aegisbicycles.com/arosvelte.html). We all love them!

Yeah, talk about being under the radar... I've got two friends who ride Aegis Aro Sveltes, I've seen one other Aegis on the road in the past two or three years, and that's it, I never see them anywhere. But they sure seem like sexy bikes. Any idea how they compare quality-wise to the Crumpton's, Calfee's, or Parlee's? (Duh, or, of course, the Serotta's?)