PDA

View Full Version : Bike browsing

Frank
06-28-2008, 01:44 AM
I was off work this week, so decided to take some time and visit some of the not-so-local bike shops as I traveled around.

I went to about a half dozen shops looking for a new non-steel bike with ten speed 105 in in the $1500-2000 range.

One of the things I noticed, and was verified by the bike shop folks, is that there is not a lot of excess road bike inventory in this price range and in medium sizes right now. Bike guys attributed it to an increase in sales, more conservative ordering by shops, and a reduction in production by bike companies who didn't want to get caught with too much supply and having to slash prices on it.

Another thing I noticed was all of the ones in my size come with 172.5 cranks, not the 170's I have ridden forever. I have almost decided, after looking again and again at the miniscule difference in 2.5mm (maybe new padded shorts vs. well worn ones!) that I may try them rather than try and get a shop to find a 170 and switch them out for me.

I didn't ride any of them because of having my daughter with me one day and torrential rain the other day. Some of the bikes I looked at and initial impressions:

Felt F85: Yellow color made it bright, toothpaste welds stood out, pretty good components, probably a decent buy at about $1000,

Giant OCR A1: pretty blue and white model using what Giant calls Alliance Technology that combines carbon fiber fork, top tube, seat stays, and part of down tube with aluminum. I thought the cf/a combination flowed together smoother than I thought it would, seamless rather than bolted together look. More upright than standard road frames I am used to, but not so much it looks out of place in a pack. Around $1300

Giant TCR C3: blue/carbon/white full carbon fiber frameset with cf fork and alloy steerer. Looks haven't changed much since the same model I had a couple of years back. I think Giant has done a nice job with these. Around $1800. Giant dealer was shop owner I had bought from before.

2007 Bianchi C2C 928 w/Campy Veloce: Didn't care for the swoopy downtube and toptube combo, plus looking for Shimano parts, but probably a good deal for someone who likes the parts and look. Would not be in my price range but shop has special on them for $1999, reg. $2800.

Specialized Roubaix Elite Triple: Nice looking bike! Carbon fiber frameset, not sure about wanting a carbon steerer, but this was also a triple and was looking for a double. Could have had this for $1750.

Specialized Elite Compact Roubaix: Orange and silver, same f/f as Triple. Didn't have one in stock but could order at same price as Triple. Pic looked good on their computer.

Specialized Tarmac: Also very nice looking, blue and white, double crankset, same price and similar specs for components as above Specializeds.

Specialized Allez Elite: Aluminum frame with carbon seatstays. Looked very sharp in red and black, could be had for $1100. More seeing and shopping carbon fiber probably leading me from aluminum.

Orbea Onix: 2009 model in very pretty blue and white combination. Was looking at the Giants and they had this on the other rack in my size. Full carbon fiber frameset with good parts. $1900 for the 2009 model, looked really cool.

Trek 2.3: Good looking bike with alum frame and cf seatstays and fork, but not as striking to me as the Specializeds and Orbea and even the Giants. The least helpful sales staff of the shops. Other sales folks/owners greeted me and walked over to the bikes with me, stayed and showed models and explained them and offered catalogs and rides. This fellow walked over with me, then said to let him know if i had any questions. In his defense, looks like he was helping to bring some bikes into the shop and he may just have a different sales approach. Was the same way with different sales person other time a couple of years or so ago when I stopped by their store before buying a cf Giant that same day. $1700, will go up $200 for next years model due to increases in cost of materials, transportation, etc.

Didn't buy a bike today, but I have built up the bike buying fund by selling off stuff and realize I want one pretty soon.

I would like to hear input from Forum Folks on whether cf steerers are an issue vs. alloy.

Thanks,

Frank

learlove
06-28-2008, 02:01 AM
http://www.raleighusa.com/bikes/road/grand-prix/

or

http://www.bianchiusa.com/08_b4p_1885_veloce.html

or

http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/08/cusa/model-8RA95D.html

or

http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/08/cusa/model-8RCT5D.html

or

http://www.scottusa.com/us_en/product/70/779/speedster_s30

or

http://www.scottusa.com/us_en/product/70/776/speedster_s20

ndoshi72c
06-28-2008, 04:22 AM
If you live near a Performance you could easily be swimming in 105/Ultegra or full Ultegra + full CF in that price range from Fuji or house brand Scattante (whose frames are made by Fuji in 08).

1centaur
06-28-2008, 06:56 AM
After reading about that shopping trip I would not have guessed the question was going to be CF steerers vs. alu. No I don't think it's worth worrying about that question when considering mass market production from giant corporations - if it was a problem they knew about they would not put it out.

More people may chime in on crank length - some are sensitive and some are not. If you have "normal" dimensions and all the stock bikes have longer cranks then perhaps you have been on the "wrong" length all this time.

I often advise people shopping for bikes not to buy around now because the selection tends to be at the low point (even without conservative ordering). New models hit the stores at the end of August, last I knew.

A bike is an emotional thing (except for some racers); color is important to you so don't deny it for a deal. That price range is a sweet and crowded spot for 105 components. The frames should be fairly similar, material for material, and the components nearly identical. If it were me, now, I'd be looking at the wheel differences (some makers undermine good frames with boat anchors) and the HT angles/CS length plus TT fit as key elements once I found the color I wanted. Finding a dealer with a good feeling for aftermarket service would also be high on my list.

Fixed
06-28-2008, 06:59 AM
buy a used bike :beer:

CaptStash
06-28-2008, 09:00 AM

+1

Huge step-up in value for that kind of dough. You could easily get a Felt F2C with Dura Ace. A sweet riding (though racy geometry) bike at less than 16 lbs. Maybe even a Tarmac if you get lucky.

eBay and Craig's List can be your best friend! (Not to mention the Forum's very own Classifieds).

CaptStash....

PS: I bought my wife and new Felt F75 which is a nice upgrade from the F85 you looked-at. They can usually be had in your price range and have an upgraded rd (Ultegra) and ride like a dream. Good fast bike with very rideable geometry.

learlove
06-28-2008, 09:49 AM

second that too - ebay if you know what your looking at.

about crank length - 170 or 172.5, seriously people its 2.5mm. get out a ruler and look at how small a diff that is. I have 170 on one bike and 172.5 on another and cannot tell a diff.

flickwet
06-28-2008, 10:27 AM
Ya might even learen to like thos longer cranks.In hopes I don't get flamed and its a personal decision anyway, there is a very slight increase in leverage so that at the same cadence level your power output rises; I have a 33" inseam and have gone to 180mm cranks on all my bikes, my cadence never dropped, my flexibility is fine and I think I'm faster

rwsaunders
06-28-2008, 10:39 AM
+1

Huge step-up in value for that kind of dough. You could easily get a Felt F2C with Dura Ace. A sweet riding (though racy geometry) bike at less than 16 lbs. Maybe even a Tarmac if you get lucky.

eBay and Craig's List can be your best friend! (Not to mention the Forum's very own Classifieds).

CaptStash....

PS: I bought my wife and new Felt F75 which is a nice upgrade from the F85 you looked-at. They can usually be had in your price range and have an upgraded rd (Ultegra) and ride like a dream. Good fast bike with very rideable geometry.

+2. Plenty of decent used rides on CL, RBR and the Forum. I've owned a few used CDales over time, and they're reasonable to purchase used and easy to sell.

rwsaunders
06-28-2008, 12:54 PM
Frank....I don't know your size, but of you ride a 60cm frame, Vlad has a heckuva deal posted for a Terraplane frame.

Karl Lee
06-28-2008, 01:03 PM
Agreed on buying used from here or elsewhere, you really can upgrade from what your looking at new by taking someone else's lightly ridden's. 172.5's are probably what you should be riding, and that can always be swapped later if it bothers you that much. Do the deal now!!!

Louis
06-28-2008, 01:35 PM
I think Frank has made up his mind that this purchase is going to be a new bike. A while back he posted a related question and after lots of folks (including me) mentioned that you can get great deals on used bikes he reminded us that he was only considering new.

Louis

Frank
06-28-2008, 02:08 PM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=47617