PDA

View Full Version : In need of some serious help

PanamaJack
06-27-2008, 10:42 PM
Hey everyone. Long time listener...first time caller. And boy, do I have a doozie. I have a ti road bike and one of my water bottle braze ons is loose. I know I know...that's it? Well, that's a lot to me. When I tighten the bolt into the frame, the braze on spins. Question is, how repairable is this? Not looking for "leave it alone" replies. I have put almost 5k into this bike and now this happens. I want it repaired correctly. This is a painted frame too. Will I have to send it back to the company for repairs or can a local quality shop fix it with it being Titanium? Is it going to jack up my $600 paint job? I do appreciate your help and really do want this corrected the right way. Thank you!

flickwet
06-27-2008, 11:53 PM
To "super glue it" or use some kind of adhesive that would solve your problem and save your paint job. I am certainly not qualified professionally to properly answer the question. but on the other hand what damage have you caused with a small bit of glue if it doesn't work. Hope all works out well for you and I'm sure you'll get better advice from a builder.

legacysti888
06-28-2008, 12:36 AM
Your LBS should be able to replace the rivet for $20. You need a rivet clamp. It happened to me on a painted carbon frame but my LBS' riveter broke or it would have cost me $20 or less. I went and bought one online and did it myself. Of course, it ended up a weetle more than $20.

DfCas
06-28-2008, 07:19 AM
To a repair method I posted some time ago with an easy fix.

dan

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=23668&highlight=rivet

pdxmech13
06-28-2008, 05:19 PM
It's a simple fix with the correct tool. The rivnut has just become loose. I would recommend taking it to your lbs and they should be able to fix it for about the $20 mentioned above.